teary eye

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

teary eye

Post by Pinoy51 »

Simba has one teary eye. Luckily not caused by entropion.
the tears are excessively running down his cheak and the fur is getting affected because it never dries up in the area close to the eye. The affected area is next to the outer part of the eye, below the ear, not as ususal close to the nose.
Doctor diagnosed eye infection which closed the tear channel and it might never open properly or never has been open properly according to her. Operation in the Philippines to correct this can't be done.
Does anyone have experience with kind of teary eyes and is there are a remedy besides operation or a natural maintenance ?
He isn't bothered at all until now, and the sweet boy he is, the eye drops I'm currently applying, he takes w/o making it difficult for me. I would like to get away from chemicals as soon as possible.
Any idea will be very welcome by me and Simba.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: teary eye

Post by Rory's Dad »

Amber has a similar issue. It bothers us a lot more than it does her. We try to clean it up with a warm cloth or even with tear stain remover, but that just seems to get it going more. If we leave it alone, she will tear to a certain level and then nothing. As soon as i clean her eye, its like a waterfall...go figure.
coconutgirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coconutgirl »

Have you ever tried the supplement Angel Eyes ("tear stain free eyes & a bright coat")? Tried it on my Chow Chow less that a week ago; less tears & no longer brown. It's simply 100% freeze dried beef + tylosine. I know pets with liver issues need to watch intake of liver due to high vitamin A content. Also there could be underlying health issues so should consult a vet (It's USA so not sure where they ship or distribute; I bought a bottle at my groomer). angelseyesonline.com
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Thanks I'm in the Boston area in the coming week, I will see if I get the remedy there. There is still no issue for Simba but it bothers me a lot to see the area around his eye soaked in tears.
Will definitely try your recommendation.
Best regards
Pinoy51
P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P.R. Bear »

My little girl Bear has the same problem. I had to take her to the vet a couple months ago due to bumps on the edges of her lids. Vet said they looked like pimples and to wipe her eyes with warm wash cloth a couple times a day, They went away after a week or so. Just another thing to watch for with constantly tearing eyes.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

@P.R.Bear
thanks I have examined the lids several times and so far couldn't see anything unusal.
When I brought him to vet last time they treated him for infection and the tearing became much less.
We're now three weeks without medication and the wet area around the eye has become large again.
All I do now is wipe the eye area with tissue and dry the fur as good as possible.
Will get the the Angel Eyes supplement next week and some ointment which is antibacterial and reduces itchiness etc.
Will see how that goes.
Best regards
Pinoy51