What do you feed your chow?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Canidae
14%
Nutro
57%
Solid Gold
29%

Total votes: 14

chowchow186
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowchow186 »

Hi, I am utterly confused between all the brands.

Currently switching from Canidae to Nutro, hope it is better...
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

What if we feed none of the above?

I've fed all three brands over the years. Currently, I feed Nature's Valley.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Solid Gold is a real dog food?!! I thought you were just being funny :lol: thats what I get for thinking. In that case I use science diet. It's worked great for me, but each dog has different diet needs and likes. Just like I don't eat red meat or any prepared foods. My husband eats the exact opposite its all meat and fast food. I need have to watch what I eat since I am overweight; my husband can eat whatever he wants. Same with pups. You have to mix what they like and what they need and what you can afford. Allot of ppl think its good to feed thier dogs fresh vegtables, brown rice, and no meat. Others hot dogs and puppy chow. You just got to decide what will work for you and your pup and it never hurts to get the advice of your vet.
Last edited by redangie24 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
jnk111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jnk111 »

We switched to Solid Gold from Eukanuba, I have seen a very noticable difference in both dogs coats. Angels (chow) is softer and Carls (beagle/mix) is much shinnier and he sheds SO much less. We went from getting handfuls after petting to hardly anything, it is a night and day difference.

Post by Guest »

I guess I'm a bad mom, I have always fed eukanuba or iams.
my kids have beautiful coats, especially the female, her coat is like black beauty, thats one of her nicknames.
I'm not sure I've even seen any of the foods in the poll.
2 of my kids were the runs of the litter & vet said feed them puppy food for 2 yrs.
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Just switched from Nutro Lamb and Rice Kibble to Solid Gold Wolf King (2 weeks now).
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

We are in transition from Nutro to Solid Gold for the dry food. There was some messy poops involved with the change but that is not so much an issue anymore. My reason for switching to SG was because (1)I feed my two baked chicken thighs and (2) one of my Chows tends to get ear infections.
After some of Kiwani's advice, I have added Omega-3 to offset some of the inflammatory influences of the baked chicken. Once I get them on 100% SG dry food, I'll start looking to replace the canned food with SG - haven't seen it (canned SG) yet but I'm sure it's around. There are many here that use Nutro with no problems at all.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

We are on Canidae and I LOVE it. Chi-Chings coat has gotten SO much better....my cats are even on Felidae and I am in 7th heaven with it....their coats are soft and shiny and the litter box doesn't smell AT ALL.

With Canidae, Chingers goes potty a lot less and it is such a better consistancy. I have not heard great things about Nutro. But each dog is different too. We are thrilled with Canidae and won't be switching.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I have feed all three of those in the past. If I had to pick between those three, I'd pick the Solid Gold. It's just a personal preference, Canidae is also great. But, it didn't work as well for Willow.

Currently, I'm a huge Wysong fan and probably will stay on this for a long while.
kitcatak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitcatak »

I would feed Canidae, but my picky chow won't eat it. I currently feed Inova. He doesn't like kibble at all, but he will eat this if nothing else if offered. He prefers canned food, but that gets a little spendy, so he gets one can a day and all the kibble he wants (I only fill the bowl once every 2-3 days and it isn't a big bowl!)

Tracy
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

feed

Post by threedogjeep »

I mix solid gold canned with Eagle Pack holistic.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
buddysmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by buddysmom »

I feed Buddy Nutro Lite...he need's to loose a little weight. He seems to LOVE it.
buddysmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by buddysmom »

Buddy is now on Hills Prescription Diet to lose about 10 lbs. He likes it very much. Yum Yum :D