ROYAL CANIN FOOD

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

ROYAL CANIN FOOD

Post by Judy Fox »

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of the food "Royal Canin"?
We have an appointment with this vet at the practice we attend who is a dermatology expert and we know she is going to want us to change Maisie's diet and presumably advise us to buy the Royal Canin food they have in the surgery.
I am now against it per se but when we had a similar hot spot problem with our old Mabel when she was younger we were advised to give her one of these foods - not Royal Canin - and it made her very sick and Milly just would not eat it.
I am not happy taking the girls off their own food and making them unhappy.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
cinziao
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ROYAL CANIN FOOD

Post by cinziao »

Our last chow was changed to Royal canin for several reasons and loved it. Try it and see.
anthonyfearn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anthonyfearn »

my maggie used to scratch and pull her hair out terrible , i have tried nearly everthing going finally after giving her fishmongers finest a 10kg bag is about £25 from pets at home , problem sorted
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Personally I am not a fan. Cocoa was on Royal Canin as a pup but after some trial and error with different foods we ended up with her on Taste of The Wild. I prefer the grain free foods and Royal Canin contains wheat and corn and I think most of them have chicken as their main protein which a lot of dogs are sensitive to. They (as well as Science Diet) make medi foods for the vets and I think they really push hard to get the vets to promote their brands. I know there are cases where a certain special diet is required (bladder crystals for instance) but I would question the vet closely if she wants to change Maisie's diet.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Royal Canins first ingredients are Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, wheat, corn gluten meal. That is for the adult medium breed. Why would you want to feed your dog that? Chicken by product meal is " the dry, ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices." If you go to http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... ngredients you can read about the things you should avoid in dog food.

A good food would look more like Buffalo deboned, chicken meal, potato dehydrated, turkey meal, canola oil. They have other examples on the website.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 13538 times
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

I was offered Royal Cairn when I had Charlie my Cairn Terrier my vet wanted to put her on it when she got to 10.I tried one bag & she didn't like it.The vets will push these brands because its more money for them. I went to my local independent pet shop & talked it over with them.I told them i didnt want to get that food because you could only get it from the vets & I felt there were other choices available she said to me its the amount of ASH that they put in it.What ever bag they offer you right down the amounts of each ingredient then go into your local pet shop & check against them.I put Charlie onto Bakers senior for the last 3 years of her life we didn't have any problems.Its a competive market with all the pet shops we have in the UK the vets want you to buy as many things as possible from them.You can always say to your vet that you will consider there advice & let them know later what your going to do this gives you time to check around for alternatives :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you all of you! :D
You have confirmed what we have been researching. Fred got sat with his I pad and came up with so many things.
We have decided not to change Maisie and Matilda's diet - modify it slightly - we will ask the vet what they should NOT have and take it from there.
We have fed them both Bakers since we got Matilda when she was 8 weeks old because that is what their breeder had been feeding. They are not on Bakers Weight Control - we don't want them to get too fat! :lol:
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

My Chows get a modified raw diet...nothing is really raw. They get boneless chicken breast (boiled) or hamburg meet. Buying on sale is actually fairly reasonable. 1% cottage cheese for breakfast. All supplemented by kibble so their teeth don't go soft. We get a good mix of dairy and protein. Skin and fur look fantastic. Digestion is great.

We used to use the Nutra Large Breed for kibble but (SLOWLY) switched to Earthborn Bison. In my opinion an even better product and fairly reasonable costwise. Both dogs love it, and my 2 year old male is finicky. He will only take American Cheese as a bait (no string cheese or liver bait), my female will eat anything. Since i have 2 i buy the larger bags online and it comes with free shipping.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Great sources. Well, Royal Canin is a complete dry pet food offering a highly nutritious pet food that has been developed to meet the specific nutritional needs of your pet at every stage of his of her life. Its good..
And Royal Canin is marketed by Vets Choice and is available from veterinarians.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I'm not sure if JammyJoy is familiar with the ingredients in Royal Canin but the main ingredient is Brewers rice. That alone should let you know there is a problem. If you research dog food you will find that Royal Canin is not one of the better foods. I don't know why vets continue to sell it, maybe the same reason most of them continue to push yearly vaccinations.

Laura
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

A Veterinarian I use to take my Chows to; told me with several products only supplied through an Animal Hospital, he received a commission for selling those products. Animal care is a business for profit and it is up to the owner to make a decision using the vast amount of information available to us all now by searching online or asking others on this Forum. The preceding was an unpaid message approved by Zoey the Chow and her Human Pet. :wink:

I hope you can find a solution for those uncomfortable Hot Spots. The Hot Spots my Chows have experienced were related to the frequency of grooming during the Bi-annual exchanging of the coat. :oops:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you all. :D

We have just got back from the vet and the lady vet we saw who is the dermatology expert was very nice and asked us lots and lots of questions.
She looked at the remnants of Maisie's hot spots and came to the conclusion that we are doing everything right and to carry on with how we are feeding her and Matilda.
She said the food we are feeding them is excellent and she said Maisie is a good healthy chow chow. :D
So we are relieved.
She said the mucinosis lump will gradually go down - might leave a patch of thickened skin but we are not to worry. Just let her know immediately if it starts to weep.
So we and Maisie Daisy are content now.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

I have only had one purebred chow, others mixed. My purebred is primarily on Purina Pro Plan Salmon & Rice. We've had no hot spot issues but his poo is more consistent & healthy lookig on this food that any other I've tried. I pour a little low sodium, low fat chicken broth over it. He loves it!

(I thought the fish & rice advisable after reading about their chinese heritate & diet.)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Because they are of a chinese heritage? I don't think they are really chinese, they are canine. Fish and rice? OK, then.

I dont think they hunted in rivers and rice paddies in the wild.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hello Judy this reply is a little late, but Cassie and Blue loved Royal Canin so much they'd finish it immediately, they didnt have any skin problems with that. I just stopped because it is rather expensive in my country. So they are on another brand of dry food plus home food
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

No, I dont think they hunted in rivers and rice paddies, I think they were thrown leftovers, fed what was available. All I know is, I've seen no evidence of any allergic reaction and, as stated, his poo is healthier looking now. I know they can have sensitive constitutions and this is what works for us.