Our Chow Chow will not go for walks with me

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

usthree
Rank 0
Rank 0

Our Chow Chow will not go for walks with me

Post by usthree »

We adopted Lucy, our 1.5 year old Chow Chow, from the pound 6 weeks ago. For 4 weeks both me and my girlfriend could walk her at any time of day with no problem by ourselves or together, and around 2 weeks ago she started not wanting to go for walks with me unless she REALLY has to pee. We talked to our dog walker and he had said she started doing the same thing to him too. We don't know if he may have done something, or his dog, but my girlfriend still has no problems with taking Lucy for walks. Is this just a bonding issue with Chows in general or just our dog? Any ideas? Thank you.
sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Our Chow Chow will not go for walks with me

Post by sashasayys »

I do think this is a bonding issue. My dog Thor used to go on walks with my fiance just fine. Now he refuses to go out with him, even when he has to go potty. He just sits there and it's impossible to move him. Put as soon as I take the leash, he's up and ready to go. I have also noticed that he guards me constantly (but is not aggressive. Just aware). He never leaves my side. I don't know how to change that. We've socialized him, and he LOVES people and other animals when introduced properly, just doesn't like to leave me in the room alone
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Our Chow Chow will not go for walks with me

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I wouldn't take it too personally. Chows can be very fickle. They are also very stubborn. Most likely your Chow found something she likes about walking with your girlfriend and now she is going to be stubborn about only going with her. My Chows do things like this all he time. Also Chows have memories like elephants so it could be possible that something traumatized her that she associates with males but I am guessing she just likes something about your girlfriend better, at least for now. Next week, she may change again.