Is this age related?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Is this age related?

Post by ski »

Our two chows Loki and Frisco could not be more different. Loki has always been aloof...one of the many things I love about him. Lately, though, he has taken it to a whole new level. He seems to want absolutely nothing to do with us. He just wants to sit on the screened porch all day, and even all night if we allowed it. He ignores us in the morning as he used to come and put his head in my face every morning before I get out of bed. He is almost ten. He saw the vet recently so I know he is in good health. He has a good appetite but still needs convincing to come in from the porch for dinner. He still gets excited about his daily walk but after that he is done with us. I love these dogs like crazy and I am concerned about Loki's attitude. He is never aggressive just disinterested in us. Any ideas???
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is this age related?

Post by wokman »

My Chows became withdrawn in their golden years.
They acknowledged me when food or the leash appeared.
Most of the time they slept or gazed out the window.
Maybe it is Chow dementia or they are just too tired after
all those years of play.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Yes, my Sheena at 12.5 years doesn't jump like a rabbit anymore when I come home. Does want all HER needs met on demand...has become very insistent and is barking consistently when I'm 15 minutes late in starting dinner or she wants to go outside and wants to go now...then meanders around the yard casually walking and barks at the side of the house letting me know that when she comes to the door it better be open for her to enter or wants me to help her get up. Wants it QUIET in the house! Snitches on the cat when he starts to do a no-no or wants him out of her space!

Yes, her eyesight is diminishing along with her hearing and her hind somewhat arthritic legs give her a problem in getting up by herself and she doesn't want to stand any longer when she eats but to be served. I give her wet canned food only and she's gotten more sloppy and I need to clean her up after eating. Her tongue has even flicked food in her eye...causing infection.

Amazing tho' when I get her harness and leash she gets up, wags her tail and has a bit more get up and go to that door to walk 15 feet and lay down on the grass or go for that car ride with her doggles (sunglasses) on and head out the window! Also get lots of tail wags if I give her some chicken breast dried treat!

So, as Sheena ages she wants much sleep/snoring time in quiet solitude but does watch that front door or front porch light going on and will bark consistently to ward off intruders. Lately, I have been resting next to her on her other chowbed and just massaging her head and telling her how much I love her as she snoozes into dreams. I do miss the earlier times but there is something so special about her now...she appears so wise and knowing and it mellows me out.
Jennifer & Sheena
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I hope someone cares for me like that in MY declining years!!! I suppose this is just another of life's stages and I always accept him on his terms.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Yes, that would be nice to receive such care in our declining years...wait I am declining at 64+...we can only hope! LOL
Jennifer & Sheena