Picture of Coco

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Picture of Coco

Post by CocoLeBear »

Here are before and after pictures of Coco, a spayed chow I adopted from the Pennsylvania SPCA in Philadelphia in 1/2013. She was listed as a chow mix, but everyone that I've spoken with thinks she is purebred. What do you think?

Before:
8377949699_ec5738e0cf_z (1).jpg
8377949699_ec5738e0cf_z (1).jpg (153.77 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
8377948961_4cfa5b1b99_z.jpg
8377948961_4cfa5b1b99_z.jpg (252.14 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
After:
photo (53).JPG
photo (53).JPG (128.72 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Picture of Coco

Post by Cocoa »

She's beautiful, looks a lot like my old boy Buddy. I would say she looks pure to me, more of the athletic build of chow. Thank you for rescuing her. =D= =D= =D=
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

I tend to think she is purebred as well. I can't imagine what else she'd be mixed with!

She is a pretty girl--I get stopped, on average, 4-8 times a day (no joke) from people talking about how cute she is, about chow chows, etc. She is a great ambassador for the breed because she loves all people and children!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Looks pretty chowy to me!! What a great job you did with her, she looks much happier!!! I live out in the suburbs ( philly) and when I'd walk Nikki I always got stopped by people asking what breed is she, not many out our way! In 30 yrs I have seen maybe 4 chows!
Thank you for rescuing her and giving her such good care!
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

Thank you! She has food allergies (cause of her poor condition before), so she is on salmon food. Her coat is so shiney, I am always telling myself to have more salmon!!

I haven't seen another one in the city. A fair number of people have told me they used to have a chow, and one guy told me he has a half chow, as does my vet. I have seen a few at the SPCA though, so they must be out there!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree that she looks full chow. I am thinking that the SPCA has to list them as a mix unless they have documentation proving otherwise.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Yup just echoing everyone else, looks chow. :) Lovely girl, thanks for sharing pics!
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

Thanks all for the feedback! It's been a rewarding challenge having her. When I first got her, her coat and skin was obviously a mess and she didn't know any commands. After six months, she knows sit, lay down, paw, other one, stay, wait, and "not your turn" (my made up command for when someone/me is leaving out the front door and I don't want her to try to sneak out). She is also learning to stop at the curb and not to walk into the street until I say "okay." When I first got her, she was a bit aggressive with any dog that would come up to her/look at her wrong. Now, she will mostly ignore and not engage. We've recently taken up jogging, and she is doing well at that.

I've asked this before in another thread, but I'll ask again here. Does the CCCI or AKC keep DNA or blood type on file? I've worked with equine rescues where horses have been identified because of this. Coco is such a fantastic and sweet dog, I'd love to know her story. On that note, does anyone recognize her breeding?