Desexing question?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bitingmytongue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Desexing question?

Post by Bitingmytongue »

There are currently chows available for adoption in Australia, at least two of which have come from puppymills. The only problem for you Chowlingmommy, is that they have been de-*Censored Word* and you won't be able to continue your breeding schedule. You have tried to get your hands on an un-neutered Chow for breeding purposes before. Are you a registered breeder or just a back-yarder?
Bitingmytongue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bitingmytongue »

Ok let me just clarify a few things here. The breeder that Chowlingmommy is referring to has NEVER actually sold a de-*Censored Word* puppy & the puppies that they have sold all went to genuine Chow homes & show homes. They DO offer a contract, & a very generous puppy pack with their Chow puppies. The kennel owners have a child of their own in their household & have never said that having children is an issue in regards to housing one of their puppies. Chowlingmommy has admitted that she wants a Chow to breed with & that she might de-*Censored Word* it after that & has been very active in hassling many reputable breeders in her attempts to obtain a Chow so that she can become another back yard breeder. Since we (the Chow community in Australia) have a list of people to not sell or adopt to & you, Chowlingmommy, are on that list, I think it will be quite a long wait for you to get a Chow from any reputable kennel here. Oversees breeders be warned!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

TyChowgirl wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the issues with doing it so young is that the dog sticks in puppyhood phase longer and doesn't allow to mature right or normally or something.

Kodi in the picture below was done at like 7 weeks old he is a Rescue..He is not inmature at all...not stuck in puppy hood...He is growing fine...he is very tall and weighs between 85 lbs or more...never hurt his growth...lol...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Tippsy'smom wrote:
TyChowgirl wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the issues with doing it so young is that the dog sticks in puppyhood phase longer and doesn't allow to mature right or normally or something.
I've actually never heard that. :lol: I know they won't develop to their full potential, like they would when left unaltered until almost 2 years old. I actually wish I could have waited longer than 6 months to spay Dixie.
I dont think thats true either...Kodi is Very tall...25/26 inches at the shoulders and 85 plus lbs...and still filling out...he will reach 100 lbs im sure of it..so being he was fixed at 7 weeks hurt him????...WOW could only think of how big he would have been if we could have fixed him later in life....LOL...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Crumpet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crumpet »

I have a much adored purebred male pup who is now 5 1/2 months old and thriving. I brought him home at 8 weeks and he was neutered at 6 weeks per the discussion I had with my breeder. Chows are my favorite breed, but all breeds have a caveat or two and with chows it is that they are prone to not getting along with other dogs of the same gender (the word that rhymes with hex is censored here?). Since I have a female toy breed as well as a rescued 3 year old mixed breed dog she explained the option of neutering males at age 6 weeks before the testosterone comes in, suggesting this reduces the same *Censored Word* aggression. There is no such option for female pups. I had not heard of this before (since I usually prefer adult dogs over puppies and thus did not have an awful lot of puppy experience). Also under consideration is the amount of time my dog will spend at my mother's when we visit and she has a female Siberian. My best friend visits often with her two small dogs, a male and a female. I did not just take her word for it but did my own research as well as consulting with 2 trusted veterinarians. Neither vet batted an eye over this and were both familiar with how shelters are now neutering/spaying much earlier, from 6-8 weeks of age prior to adoption. The vet who did the surgery is very familiar with Chows. I would have given up on having a purebred Chow rather than do something to a dog that could damage its health just to minimize/avoid the same *Censored Word* aggression issue. My dog is active, healthy, well-behaved, and growing like a weed. I had posted here with concerns about housebreaking but that has stopped being an issue altogether. He adores his older brother and is best friends with my mom's dog. I am comfortable with the choice I made.
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

The following is a somewhat belated yet apparently necessary response regarding puppies and breeders in Australia.
1. There are about 25 registered breeders in the entire country of Australia. Those registered breeders produce, on average, about 100-120 registered puppies per year - that is in total, collectively, NOT individually.
2. A registered breeder in Australia has to be a member of their state's canine council affiliate of the national council and must prove to that council their ability to understand and undertake responsible breeding, and must sign a national code of ethics. Most registered Chow breeders are members in good standing with the Chow Chow Club of Victoria, or with the Chow Chow Associations of New South Wales or South Wales Australia, both of which are in the process of becoming recognised clubs. Many breeders are members of all three.
3. A registered breeder is required to register all the puppies they produce. There are two types of registration for puppies in Australia: limited and full. Limited registration means that the puppy has been deemed by the breeder to be unsuitable for breeding or showing, but is perfectly fine as a companion dog. It is the breeder's responsibility to make that determination, not the puppy buyer's. Most limited puppies come with a contract that outlines that the puppy is to be neutered at a particular age, if the puppy has not already been neutered. It is up to the breeder alone to determine what constitutes the best home for one of their puppies.
4. The current average price for a registered puppy, either full or limited registration, is about $2500. That is a price that takes into consideration all the costs involved. If the breeder is really lucky, they MIGHT break even. Keep in mind that the average Chow litter is about 3-4 puppies.
5. Early neutering is a choice that some breeders make to ensure the puppies they place are not used for unregistered breeding practices, which can and does happen.
6. Early neutering is a choice that a breeder makes responsibly and in consultation with their vet - it is not a decision taken lightly and is not up to any puppy buyer to dictate to the breeder what the breeder should or should not do. If you don't agree, find another breeder, but please refrain from disparaging the breeder with whom you disagree.
7. The difference between neutering a puppy at 8 weeks and four months is negligible.
8. One of the kennels disparaged in the discussion above is Ciaobears - please note that this breeder is a breeder in good standing with all the three Chow affiliates here Australia. They are considered to be responsible breeders and responsible Chow owners and exhibitors.

Regards,
Judith-Ann Robertson
Secretary, Chow Chow Club of Victoria
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)