Can I leave a chowchow puppy home alone?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

saskanechi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Can I leave a chowchow puppy home alone?

Post by saskanechi »

I'm thinking of getting a chow chow puppy. I have been thinking of getting one for a long time.
My concern is that I am a nursing student so I am in the hospital twice a week from 630am-230pm and twice a week at school. Sometimes my classes run from 830-1230 or from 830-430. If I do get a puppy, can I leave it at home alone inside a play pen? Some posts I saw on the internet says to leave it in a crate?
If I do leave it home alone, what things should I do to keep it from being bored?
I will take it out for a walk before I leave and when I come back from school.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Can I leave a chowchow puppy home alone?

Post by wokman »

Eight hours is the maximum to keep a dog confined. I would put down papers so the Puppy could relieve itself until it is able to hold it. I would leave a crate with the door open and remove items that can be chewed. Make the Puppies area safe by unplugging electrical cords and providing a safe, sturdy chew toy for teething. Pay attention to any destructive behavior that might start due to boredom; or have two Chows of the opposite gender. :D \:D/
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

saskanechi wrote:I am in the hospital twice a week from 630am-230pm
If you have no one to help you, then you can't have a dog right now. No dog could deal with this without going sad or mad. Definitely not a puppy. And no, you can't lock a dog in a crate all day. Imagine what it would be like for a person - and it wouldn't be all that different for a dog.

But the good news is: there are so many other pets that fit your current needs, like 2 cats or 2 bunnies or guinea pigs or ...! :)
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

I second Sarahloo.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree with Wokman, that you definitely wouldn't want longer than 8 hours on a regular basis. In this case, a young puppy definitely isnt going to be able to hold it all day. A confined space near the normal exit will be a must. Say the kitchen, since its not likely to have carpeting or other soft textile floor surfaces. Mistakes could be easily cleaned. Use Puppy Pad training. Take out immediately upon arriving home. As the puppy grows older, the length of time they can wait gets better. Once you get to the full day window, you can phase out the pads and expand the roaming range within your home.

By the other logic, no working single adult or young couple where both partners work days would be able to have puppies. Puppies run in short spurts of energy followed by long lengths of rest time. While they crave human interaction, they adapt to differing situations. A pup who learns when you are coming home will anticipate it and greet you eagerly at the door. Providing some stimulation such as toys or puzzle treats is enough to keep them from getting bored until you get home for 'quality time'.

I am a proponent of crate training, because it works, and particularly well with chows. Chows are clean dogs and will do their darndest not to soil their home. Most well adjusted dogs will view the crate as their home and safety zone. Don't crate for punishment and when the dog is in the crate respect that as his space.

Ideally, you should have someone that can take the dog for a quick trip mid-day. This will speed up the training process and also give your pup an extra human buddy. Very important for your chow to be exposed to many people. Potty training aside, i would discourage you from getting a pup if you are the only contact he would have or if you didnt have time to properly socialize and behavior train.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

[quote="Rory's Dad"
By the other logic, no working single adult or young couple where both partners work days would be able to have puppies.[/quote]
What other logic? That a puppy can't be alone from 6.30 in the morning to 11 o' clock at night if there is no one else who can help? What on earth is wrong with that logic?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I just re-read the original post, like 3 times to make sure i didnt misunderstand the hours she posted. Maybe i still don't get it right, but nowhere did i see 6;30 to 11. The longest stretch is 8:30 to 4:30.

If i am incorrect on the length of time, then i stand corrected and agree that it would not be workable.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

When I got Cocoa as a pup I planned it so I was able to bring her to work with me for the first couple of weeks and then I was on holidays for a few weeks. During the holiday time I got her used to me going out for short periods of time, gradually getting longer so that when I went back to work she was used to being left alone. I had no problems at all with her when I went back to work. It would probably be helpful if you had some time off when you first get the pup but I think with your schedule you should be able to make it work.
I agree with Rory's dad about the kitchen. I didn't crate train Cocoa but she was gated in the kitchen. Right from the very beginning her safe place was under the kitchen table, the gates are long gone but she still goes there to sleep when I am in the kitchen.
What other logic? That a puppy can't be alone from 6.30 in the morning to 11 o' clock at night if there is no one else who can help? What on earth is wrong with that logic?
Sarah I don't see where it says the pup would be alone from 6:30am - 11:00 at night. She mentions 6:30 in the morning until 2:30 in the afternoon. (Rory's dad, still typing this when I saw you posted again).
saskanechi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by saskanechi »

Hi,
Thank you so much for all of you guys's helpful replies. I see that there's a confusion between my schedules. To clarify, I could be gone from 0630am-0230pm or from 0830am-1230om or 0830am to 0430pm. The rest of the week, I am off.
Also, I was thinking of getting one next spring. I would have 2-3 weeks off from school and I could be spending it everyday with the puppy. After that, is the puppy ok to be left alone for 8 hours? I think from what I understand, 8 hours is the most you could leave it alone.
I am taking this decision serioiusly so I really appreciate all of your help. Thanks.
saskanechi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by saskanechi »

Rory's Dad wrote:f you are the only contact he would have or if you didnt have time to properly socialize and behavior train.
I wont be the only human contact the dog would have. I would socialize it as well.
On that note, is there a specific age when a chowchow is allowed to go out in public eg dog parks?
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

Saskanechi,
Thanks for clarifying the confusion on your hours:-). Just as an example when I got Matilda she was 8 weeks old, and I never left her longer then 3-4 hours at a time for the first 3-4 months. So waiting until next spring sounds like a great idea. That way you can spend that time bonding with your new pup. You'd be surprised how much a chow can learn in the first two - three weeks. And then if you go back to work/school maybe arrange for a friend/family member to let him/her out on your long days. That would help with your pup getting bored and also being able to relieve himself. Of course the older your chow becomes the longer they can stay at home waiting for your return. But me personally I would not crate a dog for 8 hours at any age. Doesnt sound like much fun. Start out by putting him/her in a safe area with play toys to keep their attention. Usually I just put Matilda in the kitchen/dining room area. As the pup gets older and you feel it's safe you will no longer have to do this. But routine, routine is the key word. Matilda is a little over two and now she waits patiently on the couch till we return (but she still pouts). Also on your question with regards to dog parks- just my opinion, I'm not a fan of dog parks. We don't go. There are other ways you can socialize your pup- puppy classes, walks, having friends over, going to pet stores, etc. It sounds like you will be a great chow parent. Best of luck:-)
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

I've always looked at crating as cruel. I just can't help it. I tried ONE time to crate one of my Chow puppies. He went absolutely nuts in that crate. So, I took him out and that was the last time. The only time I can see crating necessary is when they are being shipped by plane. No choice there.
I like the suggestion to unplug everything that the pup can get to. Good idea. Very good idea. They will chew just about everything they can get their needle teeth into.
Gene.
Gene
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I have learnt that it is difficult being single and having a dog (or dogs in my case). I have help from my parents and also have a brilliant dog walker AND use a doggy 'creche' once a week. It is a financial committment but well worth it as my dogs are calm and content.
Chows are not great at being alone, although a few hours at a time should be OK. Could you consider having a puppy visitor who could maybe become a dog walker when your pup grows up? You may find that you need one as there will be times when you have lots to do, even besides work.
Or, is now the right time to get a dog? I waited a long time until my lifestyle allowed me to spend lots of quality time with my new furry baby (but loved my pet cats while I waited).
Well done for considering all these issues :)
Chico
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chico »

My husband and I both work full time and our pup (who is 4 months old now) hasn't been too bad. I am at home one day a week so she is only by herself from max 7-4 up to 4 days a week. she has lots of toys and we make sure we play with her when we get home. she has access to both indoors and outdoors and she hasn't damaged anything inside, no toilet messes inside. she is at the door waiting for us when we get home and we take her everywhere else with us. if you want a pup, you'll make it worse. so long as you love them they'll love you and be fine. chows are resistant and independent dogs and so long as you make the time for them when you're home they'll be fine. it used to really bother me but then one day I snuck back in my house to see if she was ok and she was fine. running, chasing birds, playing with her toys.
That's my 2 cents anyway - good luck, they're amazing dog and we adore our little chico so much
saskanechi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by saskanechi »

Chico wrote:if you want a pup, you'll make it worse.
Thanks for your insight. What do you mean by making it worse? And making what worse? Also, where about do you take your pup when you said you take it everywhere? I'm glad to hear that your chow chow plays win birds. I have a pet bird as well. I hope that if I do get a chow chow, they get along too.
Ramonaela
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ramonaela »

Hi, i am leaving my chowchow puppy home alone, while me and my boyfriend we are at work. Sometimes, he stays home alone more than 8 hours, but i am sure that most of the time he is sleeping. He is never chewing stuff other than his toys. I took some working from home days and he slept all day long, which i am sure he does the same while i am out. I am trying to cover up the time in the weekend, when we spend all our time with him. When he was little i left him the lights on every day and i used to stay with him in the kitchen until he got asleep in the evening, otherwise he would have start crying. But now, at almost 8 months old, he is sleeping all day long and we play in the evening. And, of course, get him out for a walk at least 2 times per day.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

If i were in your shoes I would not. It will be too stressful for you. There will be days that you will be stranded at work. A puppy has a lot of demands early on. It is very important to socialize and toilet train so you have to be there often. It would not be fair to the dog. Maybe adopt an older chow chow?