General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: My Little Lilly

Post by Me & Tess »

Bear Alert!

Our neighbor called us a couple of days ago to tell us that they had a bear climbing a ladder to their cat food & it looked like a grizzly bear. (We then tell our other neighbors.) When there is a bear the deer seem to disappear. We had lots of wind & rain around that time and Lilly & I were staying out of the forest. The deer returned yesterday, an indication it was once again safe. Lilly like Tess, only chases the deer so far, maybe 25 feet into the forest, but yesterday she was so happy to see them, I watched her chasing them north of our cabin into the forest and to the west, then I looked again and she was chasing them to the east. Our deer are semi-tame, one deer, Peanut, the matriarch of the herd, has given birth to about 11 fauns in the last almost five years since Tess past. Among them several beautiful bucks.

(I carry bear spray when ever we venture out.)

Yesterday Lilly found a bird wing on a logging trail. I yelled "Lilly No!" and she put it down. She gave indication that she was going back to it and I pushed her back. Poor little Lilly, gave a growl & put her tail down and started walking back to the clearing. I followed her, and when we got back to the clearing I gave her a hug & back up went her tail. We then took a walk to the creek & everything was just fine. She drinks so much at the creek, seeking the fresh water from what comes up from the spring.

Lilly has been getting up around 5 am lately. I find her looking out our loft window by our bed. She gives a good shake to wake me. This morning I took her out to "spend a penny," when we came back inside, I gave her a treat & I made a little trip myself. I wasn't sure where she went. I didn't hear her go upstairs. I looked in the living room and there she was sitting on "my" sofa, sitting there as pretty as you please. The only way I could get her off of the sofa was to say "cheese." We went up the stairs, & back to bed. She laid by my side of the bed until I got up.

I think Lilly has the best life up here. It is amazing for a Chow to have this kind of life, so much freedom. The wonders of the forest; the most pure water to drink, little & big critters to chase and still be safe. The most comfortable cabin with cubbies to sleep & relax in, the most honest luvs and hugs from a very loving & forgiving mistress.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

The past few days have been too much for Lilly. She is outside sulking on the porch. Friday started it. I really dreaded the trip to the vet for her shots. Our vet was really good about coming out to the Trooper to give to give Lilly her shots. Poor little thing was shivering; I held her and held her muzzle on her as gently as I could. She gave a little growl to our vet and it was all over. I sat with her in the back seat coming home. HOME! She was so glad to be HOME. Yesterday I went into town by myself. Lilly saw me go. She wouldn't go in the cabin until I got home a few hours later. She was so happy when I returned she greeted me with jubilation, & even jumped on me. Today, while I was parting her fur for Mike to put her flea medicine on her, she gave me a big growl. She got a "NO Lilly!" by both Mike and me. We got her flea medicine on her with no further incident. Mike had been complaining that she smelled like pee. We have some big storms coming in this afternoon and then for the next few days. So, I thought there was opportunity to give her a butt bath. Got everything together. Mike got me a bucket of warm water, I put the leash on the hitching rail & got the shampoo & rinsing bowls together. Lilly knew it was coming, but I was able to lure her with cheese. She was good, no growls, I was even able to rinse her without straddling her. After it was over, I gave her another piece of cheese & she seemed fine. She wouldn't let me dry her off so we went for a walk to the road, then to the creek. When we got inside, I tried to wipe her butt & I got another growl. I guess she thought that that was the last straw. She has been ignoring me. She went behind the infamous chair in the living room where she "knew" she wouldn't be bothered. Mike just let her in and she came upstairs & is now sitting in back of me...... It is dinner time for her, actually a little past. We will see how the rest of the day goes. We are giving each other space.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

All's good in Lilly Land. I put on some Native American flute music which seems to calm her & we "danced." She finally felt like eating and had a good dinner. We took a good walk to the creek this afternoon.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Bless her! Well I mean - the indignity of having her knicker-drawers washed against her will! It is just too much! :shock:
Maisie hates it but Tilly does not care a damn - she just tries to lie down her attitude being -"If you want to wash me, ok but if you think I am standing for you - well think again!"
It is funny how some hate going to the vet but others love it.
Tilly and Maisie love going - they are so excited and the vet gets purple kisses and so the the vet nurses when they weigh them.
We had a Great Dane called Lizzie and she was terrified. She only ever went to the vet once a year to get her injections and it took Fred and me and our daughter to get her from the waiting room into the consulting room - a matter of about 8 strides - then she would lean against a wall shivering! Silly girl. When her time came to go to the Happy Hunting Ground, she just went down to the greehouse, lay down and off she popped. There was no way she was going to consult the vet about it. Bless her. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I haven't written anything about Lilly for a while. Every time we have a special moment I think "I have to write that down," but time gets away from me.

I should say that Lilly is of the forest. She has adapted to the mountain ways.

Fauns are born in the spring when the wild roses first bloom. I remember a long time ago when I was gathering rose petals with Tess, I heard hoof beats & the jingle of Tess' collar going this way & that in the forest. Out came Tess with a big doe running after her. The roses started blooming a couple of weeks ago, and I was watchful. Lilly & I started down the trail to the creek and Lilly was interested in a particular squirrel going from tree to tree. I follow Lilly closely, all of a sudden her attention went towards a stump with foliage all around it. There, standing statuesquely still, was a new born faun. I grabbed Lilly's collar and started pulling her, her attention was peaked by this little creature. I managed to get her back to the trail, all the while the little faun kept still, watching us. Lilly is not so little anymore. I don't know where that little chowling went, but she has been replaced by a strong heavier Chow Chow being! I tried pulling her up the trail, tried carrying her up the trail (where she goes into her rigor routine), all the while calling for Mike! Mike! Mike! Finally Mike heard me & I was exhausted and told him to "GET THE LEASH!!!" We waited several days, to Lilly I am sure it was an eternity, to go back down to the creek. Does routinely move there fauns every day. Lilly still goes back to the stump looking for that little creature.

Several days ago Lilly & I were walking down our driveway & we heard a heavy noise. About 25 feet in I saw a brown back of a BEAR! Lilly started towards the edge of the forest & luckily Lilly has learned "Lilly No!" and "Go Home" & "HURRY! HURRY! HURRY!" We got back to the cabin, about 500 feet back up the driveway. Mike went out with his camera, I could tell the bear was going north. Mike said we were really lucky, it was a sow with two cubs! I have been hesitant for the last few days to go into the forest. Lilly hasn't really wanted to take walks into the forest lately. I am sure that the family is very far away from her by now. ( I have taken walks alone for years, with my bear spray in hand.)

Lilly is concentrating on the varmints in under stumps, in the tall grass, in various depressions in the ground. She digs incessantly, face covered in mud and/or dirt. Sometimes she seems proud of her dirtiness & doesn't like me to wash her face (badge of courage). I picked her up some eyewash today & she is good with that.

I call Lilly a "Curmudgeon," the term is usually held for grumpy old men, but I think it fits her. She is grumpy, she is sweet, sometimes confused, she is very smart. She is ruled by routine & reminds me of when and what is the order of the day. What a girly-girl we have!

I have said we are on a wild life corridor, which we truly are. We live about 50 miles from the Yaak. Mountain Men Season 2, is on the History Channel on Sundays. One of the "Mountain Men" lives on the Yaak.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

What wonderful pictures you write - I can just imagine it all! I do envy you your surroundings. :D
Lilly is doing well me thinks! :lol:
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly & I have been alone for the last few days. She has been so calm. Right now she is laying in loft. She loves music, especially Native American flute music. I have it on now while I am trying to be busy around the house doing some deep cleaning. Mike will be returning soon. This is sad; when I tell her "Daddy's going bye-bye" she wags her tail like crazy.

A funny thing happened a couple of days ago. We were watching the news and on came clip about the "Ugliest Dog Contest" held annually in Petaluma California. The dogs in the background were barking & that caught Lilly's attention - she watches TV. She looked, made a little bark & an gave a good shake of her fur. They were ugliest dogs.

We are doing good together. Like other Chows she is selective in obeying certain commands, like lay down, roll over, shake. She such knows commands as; "not our property" "go to the creek," I tell her "be careful" when she is going over a log or going thru brush; "Mommy can't go there," & "I'm going home." She listens to "no" & when it is very important, "no, no, no." I can redirect her easily. First thing in the morning I tell here "going out to look at the garden," the first outing for the day, she is at the ready.

I wish she would give a little about going in the truck/suv. She would rather stay home. Home is very dear to her. I had to go into town yesterday & when I returned "home" she started jumping around and around, and doing small versions of the zummies. I joined in! \:D/
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

What great news it is to hear that everything is going so well. Lilly sounds so happy. Also, I think it's great that she goes home when she is told. Especially when there's a bear in the area!!! Yikes, i'd be sprinting for home right along with her. Glad everbody was safe.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Precious little girl. :D
I can understand when you say home is very precious to her - our Maisie Daisy absolutely loves home - sometimes, she will just get up from whey she is lying and just walk round from room to room just looking - looking and just soaking it in. I love to see it. [:D]
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I wonder if Lily's past life has something to do with her aversion to riding in the truck? Maybe car rides weren't always a good thing, she could associate them with being abandoned, taken to the shelter/rescue etc. Even in the case of well loved and taken care of animals if the only places they travel to by car have a negative connotation to them (the vet, the groomer, etc.) they are not likely to look forward to car travel. Maybe if you just keep trying with short trips she'll come to trust the car rides.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

We have taken her with us to do our big shopping 60 miles away (120 miles plus round trip depending where we go). And for short trips too. She is relaxing more, but it is home where she likes to stay. I can imagine that she went thru some difficult times before us. Her trip from Yakima to meet us in Missoula was pretty stressful for her - in a big rig & the truck driver's dog sat in front of her "cage." The dog probably thought he was helping her but Lilly doesn't like other dogs. And they had given her a couple of Benadryl before she left Yakama. The time she was in the cage was about 15 hours - wait time plus travel time. I've been sitting in the Trooper to let her see that it is ok. She gets really happy when I get out. The Trooper is high - as is the truck. Lilly has to be lifted in & out & I can't do it myself, she is just too heavy for me.

She gave me her Curmudgeon routine when we went out earlier this afternoon. She was trying to get to her rear, but she couldn't - she was sitting down and getting up and trying to make her body form a "U." I thought that she may have gotten a stick caught in her rear, so I went over to her to see if I could help and she gave me a big growl! I said, "No growl Lilly" & Bad Lilly." We went back to the cabin & up the porch. She decided to sit on the porch and pout for about 15 minutes then came to the door to be let in. I gave her another 15 minutes of time out.

Our last walk for the evening, the deer are back so we are more comfortable going in to the forest & walking up our road. Lilly got engrossed in a squirrel & disappear into our neighbors property. I hung close for a while and finally told Lilly I was going home. I could hear thunder not too far in the distance and the clouds were getting heavy & dark. I was about half way up our drive and Lilly started following me. She stopped a few times and tried to get to her rear again. In time we both got to the porch & I tried to look at her knickers, she gave a growl again and I said.......No Lilly. We went in and I gave her a little cheese in her dish so I could sneak a peak at her knickers. She was just a little soiled, nothing that needed washing. It started to rain pretty hard so I told Lilly let's go out & sit & look (I had brought out scissors and cleaning stuff). Well, this Curmudgeony Chow girl put her rear up to me so I could clean her knickers. After that was over we watched the rain together. It's raining really heavy right now, we have a metal roof and the sound of the rain hitting it is loud! No thunder and lightning yet.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee! Hee! Our girls don't really like their knickers being looked at! :shock: :lol:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm waiting patiently for the "Lilly got dosed by a skunk' post... \:D/
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Believe me I have all the ingredients at hand. That happened to Tess & it smelled more like heated metal - we were running around the cabin looking for some "hot wire." Them we realized, Tess was sprayed by a skunk.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee! Hee! We don't have that problem! :D
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly has yet to "blow" her fur. Last week it was cold enough to make a fire in our wood stove. Now the forecast is for triple digit temps. Her coat is so thick & long. She isn't really good about being brushed but we are working on it. We are taking shorter and more frequent trips outside. Last night we stayed out until 9:30 pm. It is still light out until after 10 p.m. When Tess blew her fur, she loved to be brushed, and I used to say she looked more like a smooth chow with long hair. Will be taking frequent trips to the creek for Lilly to cool off. I am trying to keep be cabin as cool as I can; lights are off and cooking will be light.

I found this recipe from Dr. Marty Becker & I may try it. Here's a tasty hot weather treat for your dogs. "Mix together a cup of yogurt, a large mashed banana, and 1/2 grated cheese. Spoon into paper cups and freeze. Give to your dog when frozen. Yummmm......."
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I wrote some time ago, when Tess passed the deer took over our clearing. There was one little doe that caught our hearts. She was littler than the rest and started following Mike around when he was eating peanuts. She would eat the peanut shells. In a short time she would eat peanuts out of our hands. Peanut was a lucky one; eating apples, pears, bananas. We even let her into our garden when the season was over to eat what was left. In the last five years she gave birth to at least twelve fawns. Lilly and I found her last babe. I knew that when we adopted another chow, life would be different for Peanut. Like Tess, Lilly would give chase & not go very far. Before the 4th of July & after there was lots of gun shots going off. Somehow, Peanut was shot in her right front leg, clean through, showing bone. It pains us to think this may be the end for her. Deer in captivity can live into their 20's, in the wild they can live to around 7 years. Two of Peanut's daughters are staying close to her. We have tried to apply medicine on her leg but it spooked her. They are staying close to our northeast boarder. Mike brought her some food & she is eating mushrooms & grass. She is able to bare some weight on her right leg & even clear a large log. The gun shots & fireworks have sent the bears on their way. Lilly & I have walked to our boarder not too long ago, and Lilly has put her scent there. That may keep away the cougars. We never thought that this would be an end to our deer girl. We are hoping for the best outcome. A few years back when we had the big winds, one of our deer was injured; her right front leg was broken. We called the forest ranger to see what could be done. He told us that he had seen injured deer heal. That little deer healed by the end of fall. We are hoping this isn't the end for our sweet Peanut.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

So sorry!
This is so sad and I just hope she heals. :)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

So, after several months of everything being ok, Lilly acted up. I was getting ready to tether her to the porch and she growled at me big time. I was going to brush her. I left her out on the porch and closed the blinds so she couldn't see me. I did tell her "bad Lilly" which upsets her. I didn't let the "bad Lilly" last for maybe 10 minutes then brought out some cheese to get her closer to the tether. She was really good. Even let me groom her knickers. All went well the whole time I was grooming her; not more than 45 minutes. I praised her for being so good. Then her dinner time came about. She is a very messy eater & as our usual habit, I picked up her scattered food to put in her dish which I do daily. She again growled at me. I yelled at her "Lilly no growl." She stopped eating and went behind the infamous chair. Lilly gets the best food, the best hugs. I make sure she is walked and her curiosity is satisfied. At this time is back to being my Lilly, it just hurts when she acts up.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Mm! I can understand your hurt. However, you must remember, you don't know what went on in her life before you. You are doing fine - don't take it too personally. :? It seems like something triggers off a memory and I think the memories will become fainter as time goes on. Bless her, she is a lucky girl to have arrived at your door. :)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

It's been a hard week for Lilly. The heat gets to her. The cabin is cool but the outside is hot! She wakes up late in the morning, though I try to get her up early, she is a late sleeper. The afternoon we hit the creek & in the evening, when I am working in the garden she sentries around the clearing. Our town is getting fiber optic and there is constant noise of the equipment, from the break of dawn to dusk. I think the noise is getting to her. Lilly prefers the quiet. She has been growling at me, something new. I tell her "no growl" and "bad Lilly" which breaks her heart. Sometimes I feel frustrated. Like I have said in the past all I want for Lilly is for her to be happy. The growls bring back the memories of her attacking me, which is not good. I started making her chamomile tea yesterday (I have chamomile growing in my garden) adding a little mint. She seems to love it. I only give her small portions & it is nice and cold from the frig. Lately her fur seems askew giving her a stressed appearance. Mike calls her Phyllis, as in Phyllis Diller; imagine the site of her. I have to keep in mind that she is my sweet Lilly & she stresses easily.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Cocoa doesn't do well in the heat either, I think it makes them cranky. Last year was difficult with itching and hot spots and yes she looked pretty scraggly by the end of the summer (but then winter brought back her puffy undercoat and she looked beautiful again). I'm sure once you get through the hottest part of the summer and the nights start to cool off she will get back to normal. The equipment noises probably aren't helping either, that kind of noise grates on my nerves too so I would probably be growling right along side her. :lol:
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Not sure of this study: http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/17 ... y-pets.htm I don't think Tess or even Lilly could "pass the test." I do know that both Tess & especially Lilly had/have memories of things that happened in their past. Lilly can tell when I am going into town, just by observing my habits. She isn't fond of me going into town. She reads the signs; different clothes, different shoes, me putting on my make-up. There are words that Lilly doesn't like and has shown displeasure. One word "Willy" makes her bark and growl. Sometimes I have to reinforce positive actions on my part. I do believe that Chows have re-call of memories past. They are sensitive beings. Tess never gave indication of what (negatives) she re-called. What Tess did, was let go of the old which apparently she was running away from, and embrace the new, which was us. I have hope that some day Lilly can do the same.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly was a little grouch today. Needed an extra dose of happy! She wouldn't eat yesterday. But gobbled up her breakfast this morning. She gets in these diva moods every once and a while. Even gave me a little growl when I walked in front of her unannounced. I have been avoiding the creek for a few days because she gets loaded with wild grass seeds & wild rose brambles, then she needs a big brushing. She just plows thru the brambles like a pig rooting thru slop. We went to the creek yesterday so I could pull thistles & I kept talking to Lilly. She got to me, but it was really difficult thru all the fallen trees & I had to guild her. She takes direction well & we finally got back on the "going home" trail. I feel closest to her in the forest. She has been getting up in the middle of the night when I am ready to go to bed. A few nights ago, she was laying in the grass & I went to sit beside her, this girl just got up and left me. It was a perfectly warm dark summer night.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

It's always wonderful when Lilly makes a break-thru. She was actually playing this evening. We went out for our last evening walk. It has been raining. When we came in, I took a towel and started drying her off. She started running thru the house with the towel on her, me running after her. She ran up the stairs & around the bed several times, me following her. Finally she laid down by the computer desk & let me finish drying her off.