Canadian breeder advice

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Andel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Canadian breeder advice

Post by Andel »

Does anyone have any info on some reputable Canadian breeders? I'm located in the west and we've finally made the decision to start the search for a chow breeder. Does anyone have any info on Mi-Pao or Josol Chows? Feel free to PM if it isn't something you want to share publicly. Is there anyone I should avoid?

I'm finding it a bit more difficult search than when I bought our Lab. There haven't been too many at the dog shows I've been to. Online searching is questionable too. The couple of breeders I asked about seem like they should be ok, members of the Chow Club of Canada, etc, but their websites leave me questioning because of the many dogs and the outdoor kennels. Normally that would have been something to turn me off a breeder. What do I know though.

Any advice would be great. I'm also open to searching in the US.
Thanks!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Canadian breeder advice

Post by Sirchow »

I cant help you with Canadian breeders unfortunately. Mi-Pau are a very well known and a large establishment who have bred a lot of good show dogs but that is as far as I know of them. I would doubt (but could be wrong) that their puppies are reared indoors. Izzie has Mi-Pau in her pedigree.
It sounds like you probably know all the questions to ask but just incase and to help anyone else here are a few I would ask.

Are the chows health tested...elbows and hips scored, eyes as chow suffer from entropien. Ask for the scores and find out what they mean.
Do the puppies live in or out. Outdoor puppies are so much harder to house train. Ours were clean indoors at three and a half weeks.
Can you meet mum and dad and then do so if possible to establish temperament.
Do they have a contract if so ask for a copy and read it. Some breeders like to hang onto so many rights that the puppy is barely yours.
Will they put endorsements on the puppy which means you cant breed (if you are thinking of doing so) without their say so.
Do they ask you a million questions about where you live, garden, work hours, how you will train, feed and look after your puppy. Any breeder who doesn't doesn't care enough about where their pups go to live are likely in it for the money primarilly.

I know that most people here would say have you considered a rescue. In the UK there are so very few rescues it is not such a consideration though the numbers have risen lately which is concerning and I wonder sometimes if that is because chows are very expensive over here and breeders are becoming less interested in the home and more in the money. A chow is not for everyone and your breeder needs to determine whether you understand the breed and its temperament.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cge2809 »

My red chow (11months) is from Mi-pao.

We did lots of research too when we got our chow.

And we visited mi-pao, Minnie&Paul are very friendly and
For sure they know many things about chows.

And yes! They will ask you many questions and they
Care who is taking care of their puppies.

There are more than 20 chows, and we got to see
My puppy's dad and mom too.
My chow's dad is canadian champion. They will give you all the pedigree
And paper stuff. They will register your puppy for you!
We live in Toronto but my dog's vet is in Oakville.
That's where mipao recommanded and they bring all of there
Chows there too. And whenever we visit the clinic, we meet some chows from
Mipao's.

Can't wait to see your puppy chow!good luck!
Ingrid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ingrid »

I've met 2 chows from mi pao and they have both had nice personalities. They were both brought to puppy kindergarten and obedience class so that surely helped form their nice personalities. They weren't friendly like a lab but very peaceful. And stubborn lol.
cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cge2809 »

Ingrid wrote:I've met 2 chows from mi pao and they have both had nice personalities. They were both brought to puppy kindergarten and obedience class so that surely helped form their nice personalities. They weren't friendly like a lab but very peaceful. And stubborn lol.

you live in Toronto with 2 chows?
i've never seen chows in Toronto , or anywhere
except mipao, and my vet.

which area do you walk your chows?
I want to see your chows :)
zeppelin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zeppelin »

I just lost my chow two weeks ago, and it is so lonely at home. I am hoping to visit Mi Pao and see if they have any puppies! I'm glad to hear people have nice comments about it. I live in Mississauga and I've seen some other people who have chows as well in Port Credit, and around UTM.
cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cge2809 »

zeppelin wrote:I just lost my chow two weeks ago, and it is so lonely at home. I am hoping to visit Mi Pao and see if they have any puppies! I'm glad to hear people have nice comments about it. I live in Mississauga and I've seen some other people who have chows as well in Port Credit, and around UTM.

o,,i'm sorry to hear that.
is there anyway you can find your chow?
is he microchipped?
zeppelin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zeppelin »

Oops.. by "lost", I meant he was put down.. Sorry. He was 12 and half and started having seizures and his back legs gave in :(
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Both ShenLung and FengHuang were Josol (Port Hope, Ontario) and we couldn't be happier. They are shutting down though due to illness' with both owners. FuShiLu is from LionBear (Prada, Manitoba, shutting down due to extreme allergies developed by owner) both her parents are Josol derived. That wold mean our next chow will probably be from Chows of Peking (Nova Scotia off top of my head) on the east coast. Happy to chat with you directly if you like. We know at least 25 Josol chows and 10 LionBear how's personally. We have had discussions and lots of emails with Chows of Peking planning for the future.