Tovya/ Classic Movie Stuff/ not chow related

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Tovya/ Classic Movie Stuff/ not chow related

Post by ciaobella »

The topic of classic movies came up in another thread with Tovya, and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it short, so I brought it to this section:

Tovya, for a good time go here:
http://www.kino.com/video/
http://www.imdb.com/

Favorite film, “Odd Man Out” starring James Mason, directed by Carol Reed
Makes me weep buckets... and I’m not the weepy type. I use it as a valve release from time to time since I’m obviously one of those stoic, non-emotional chow owners. :]

Not bound to a genre, but here’s a partial list:
The Third Man, Laura, Scaramouche, Blithe Spirit, Notorous, Citizen Kane (you can watch it frame by frame and enjoy it for the cinamatography alone), Gaslight, Rebecca, just about anything by Frank Capra, Adam’s Rib, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, The Letter, Public Enemy, Marx Bros., The List of Adrian Messenger, The African Queen, The Quiet Man, The Searchers, Philadelphia Story, The 39 Steps (1935), A Christmas Carol (the REAL one, with Alistair Sim ), Spellbound, Some Like it Hot, Green For Danger (a British buddy hooked me up with that one, not available in the US), Seven Samaurai, Pandora’s Box, The Manchurian Candidate (1962), Charade, Too Kill A Mockingbird, haven’t liked a Disney movie since Beauty and the Beast, Metropolis, too many to list, and a darn shame I don’t have Turner Classic Movies.

We used to have a very nice PBS station that would screen film classics commercial free. I miss that... but on the up side, I can probably catch “Mrs. Doubtfire” any time of the day or night. :roll:
Sandy
Owned by Sophie

Post by Guest »

Thank goodness for TCM! I scan their listings a week in advance. I love the fact that they run silents very late at night/early in the morning (which is when I wake up). Metropolis...fantastic! Thanks to them I was able to see "The Little Dictator" uncut. Amazing how on the mark Chaplin was!
Right now I'm working my way through a lot of the 1940"s classic films about WWII (another passion of mine). I also love Hitchcock. I would watch "Some Like It Hot" over and over when I was a kid. And "Bell, Book and Candle" - so wonderful to see Jimmy Stewart and Jack Lemmon when they were so young. It was always on the old UHF channels. How about old science fiction? The original "War of the Worlds" was another of my childhood favourites. I also like old foreign classics - Fellini, etc.
I could go on too. I'll check out that site and get back to you! :D
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

My two all time classics are Come back little Sheba, and I think its called Back street with Edward G Robinson, He meets a wicked city woman and kills her but they blame the boy friend. Musicals, Nothing tops Showboat, both versions. I think any of the Old classics that deal with a Carector study I like. One of my all time favorites I don't know the Name, Some may say its a racist movie but there was on old Black and white movie made about a slave that leaves the plantation gets into trouble, becomes a minister meets a wicked city woman ( maybe I like Movies with wicked city woman), Kills someone goes to prison then back to the plantation, The Special effects with the shadows and some of the other special effects for the time I thought were great.

Probably should add: Just becouse People like movies from the 20s, 30s and 40's dosn't mean they are a 100 years old.
chris

Post by chris »

Hey... I like old movies too.. :-)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Chris, 80's movies don't count, Ferris Bueller and Pretty in Pink arn't Classics.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Klaatu Barada Nikto!
"The Day the Earth Stood Still!", one of my faves!

Jeff, I was trying to think of the title, "Double Indemnity" (Barbara Stanwick, Fred MacMurray, Edward G Robinson) when I was listing, and went brain dead.... thanks for jogging my memory. "Back Street" is the one where the man asks a woman to meet him on a ship so they can be married, but circumstances prevent it, he marries someone else, and she ends up having a lifelong affair with him instead. Three hankie chick flick. Now it's going to drive me nuts trying to figure out which one you're thinking of. Care to field this one, Tovya?

Thinking about ordering silent, "The Man Who Laughs" from Kino... anyone seen that one?
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
chris

Post by chris »

Very funny Jeff... :-)

I like The King and I and Casablanca and Gone with the Wind and Pinoccio.. .hahahaa :-)

Actualy, I like watching "westerns" with my Dad.
chris

Post by chris »

Ya know what the best thing was... riding home in the car listening to stories on the radio. THAT was cool. :-)
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Nevermind... it's "Scarlet Street" directed by Fritz Lang, with EGR, Dan Duryea, and Joan Bennett as the wicked woman, I think. Been a while since I've used this part of my brain, but I do have a nerd-like fascination with movie trivia so it will eventually bob to the surface. :wink:
Sandy
Owned by Sophie

Post by Guest »

Yeah Scarlett Street, Thats it, I always make that mistake, I've never seen Back Street I don't think.

Chris, If you like old Radio stories take a look at this site. Great late nite Spooky stories for you and the kids.

http://www.live365.com/stations/ask_clyde
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I forgot its taking a few attempts to sign in. last was from me. That Radio sation says pay but i've never paid you still get the shows.
chris

Post by chris »

Cool... thanks Jeff... :-)

LOL, I just realized, I have that "365" on my laptop at work for music.. .I didn't know they did stories.. :-)
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

"High Noon"

To understand the way Gary Cooper stands up for the right alone and defends a cowardly town, in the face of almost certain death, has enormous parallels in the current world situation. If you understand this movie, you understand President Bush. If you don't, you don't.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I like old movies, too. They are so much better than today's movies. They didn't need special effects to give them realism, because they knew how to act! I love Gary Cooper movies, and Susan Hayward was always a favorite. I love when she played Barbara Graham, a condemed woman in I Want to Live. I can't watch a Joan Crawford movie anymore without Mommy Dearest popping in my head and ruining it. I see alot of John Wayne westerns because my husband likes old westerns. The only western that comes to mind in regards to Bush is The Apple Dumpling Gang.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

I've seen footage of his table etiquette, so I'd have to go with "Blazing Saddles".
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
chris

Post by chris »

YEAH, I especialy like the spooky movies and radio stories. Older scarey movies are better, they are more suspenceful than todays flics. Fready Kruger... yeah right.. it's the ghost stories and things that could potentialy be real that get me on the edge of my seat. :-)
chris

Post by chris »

I know this is kinda off subject too, but does anyone listen to some good old Jazz? I would like to pick up a few good CD's. Recomendations?
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

My favourite Joan Crawford is "Mildred Pierce".
Anyone else into classic foreign films? Bertolucci, De Sica, Bergman, Malle?
Chris, if you like old jazz you have to have Dave Brubeck in your collection. :)
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

If we can go into the color film era, The Lion in Winter has amazing plot twists and some of the most classic zingers of all time. Kathryn Hepburn (Elenor of Aquitain) and Peter O'Toole (Henry II) are fantastic as two strong people who love power just a tiny bit more than they do each other, which is alot.

During one argument, Henry says "All I want is a little peace!"
Elenor replies sweetly "How about eternal peace? Now there's a thought."

Elenor is tired after a day of trying to out manuever Henry, when their three sons come to her room to complain that Henry is winning. Her response, "Mummy's tired children. Come stick pins tommorow. I'll be more responsive." must be one alot of Mom's have thought at some time.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

[quote="jerryo"]If we can go into the color film era, The Lion in Winter has amazing plot twists and some of the most classic zingers of all time.

My favorite Christmas movie. :D
"Well, what family doesn't have it's ups and downs...."

Haven't had much exposure to foreign film, but loved Cocteau's "La Belle et la Bete", and think Fellini is rather overrated.

Joan Crawford, of course, is the queen.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

uuuh I love old movies too. Ever since I was a little girl. I mostly like musicals. My all time favorite is 7 brides for 7 brothers. My others are anything with Sherly Temple, Heidi (one with out Temple is the best),Showboat (the one from the 30's) Sound of music, annie oakley, Oaklahoma, Wizard of oz, The wiz, babes in toyland, brigadoon, my fair lady, Annie, the kind and I, Calamity Jane, fiddler on the roof (that is my number two favorite don't ask how it got so far down the list), Give Me a Sailor, westside story, Cry baby, la bamba,Willy wonka and the chocolate factory (original with real oompa loompas), Mary Poppins, Newsies, Oliver Twist, Pete's dragon,White Christmas, Rumpelstiltskin,and Robinhood (the cartoon version with animals). I will leave it at that for now but I am sure I will come up with 50 more as soon as I post. But I really love those old musicals.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Another old movie that had an ever lasting effect on me and I have no idea why was The Jazz Singer, Larry Parks played Al Jolson. I was like 8 years old and had nothing to do one night so stayed up late and watched the movie on TV, After that movie for some reason I thought Al Jolson was the greatest thing to ever happen so every night I was glued to this movie, ( I must have been a lonely disturbed Child) at that time they showed the same movie every night for 7 days. I became obsessed with him had my mom buy an Al Jolson record (even my own Mom thought I was nuts), So there I was an 8 year old nerd kid humming songs from the 20's while all the other kids were crying to Disney's Old Yeller, To this day I jump on anything having to do with AL Jolson. Apparently I'm the only one, In SF they were opening a play, the Jazz singer I told my wife to get tickets when she called they had already closed the show I was the only one that tried to get tickets.

Chris, A record is a round thin plastic thing with grooves in it, we use to put them on what they called a record player, Music came out of them.

I think the top 3 westerns of all time Are the full version of the Wild Bunch (William Holden) the Original Magnificent 7 (Yul Brenner, Steve Mcgueen) and High noon, Best Christmas Movie Griswold Christmas vacation.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

You were imprinted with Al Jolson when you were still a baby chick, that's all that happened. My brother Chuck had the same response when he saw The Hank Williams Story. He insisted on an album as well for Christmas, and played it non-stop until he accidently left it near a sunny window...to this day Jambalaya is one of my favorite songs, and I'm an old rocker from way, way back!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Redangie, I love musicals too. I think my favorite would have to be "My Fair Lady", but I loved the Fred and Ginger movies too... chicks dig guys who can dance. :wink:

Jeff, if you care to revisit an old obsession (and who doesn't?), go here:
http://www.jolson.org/

Sad about Larry Parks, he named names during HUAC, but was blacklisted anyway and didn't make films after that.

I like Susan Hayward, too... I think maybe a little underappreciated as an actress, even tho she won an Oscar for "IWTL".
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

I saw a cartoon a few years ago (maybe a Frank and Earnest, maybe not) where one character was saying to the other -- "I don't know why they say Fred Astair is such a big deal. Ginger Rodgers does everything he does, and she does it backwards in high heels." :lol: :lol: