Bringing up Baby

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Bringing up Baby

Post by cherriemater »

Greetings my friends and chow chow family ...

I have a been away for a bit but wanted to be sure to come here and let y'all know that WE'RE PREGNANT!!!!

I know, I know ... the last time I said that it was in anticipation of our never-gotten Sasha, and then soon after we brought home Leo and Max from another breeder ... but this time I mean ME!!! Woo hoo and PTL!!! Now, if you didn't know my story you wouldn't know how truly miraculous it is for me (and not just as miraculous as all babies are). Being 45, diabetic, and obese ... we already had challenges but I also have PCOS, a prolactinoma and elevated androgen levels which pretty means that I SHOULDN'T have been able to get pregnant ... EVER! But lo an behold BOOM!

Here's how I told Joe: http://youtu.be/H1vYLO7iypU

So when you watch him say, "How'd that happen?" you'll know it's not his ignorance about how procreation works (no ... he's knows ALL about that, believe me) it's just that we both had accepted about a year ago that God didn't have it in His will for us ... until now.

So ... this brings me to a question: How do you introduce chows to the impending invasion of a little bubbly-baby that will NOT be used as a chew toy??

Becki (Lily's mom) mentioned having baby sounds and even "borrowing" a baby to introduce them. That's a great idea so I gotta find me one of those. I am going to get some baby-powder smelling candles and leave them around to introduce that smell and as gifts for baby arrive, we'll do our normal "smell and teach" session. (They are very curious boys so I always let them sniff new things while telling them what it is. They no longer charge in with teeth and mouth open as long as I say, "Smell, smell." They will be about two years old by the time our little one arrives, so I think they should be either half-way or all the way through with the teen-age stage, in which they are in full swing!

They generally do not react well to anyone younger than eight years old, so this is my concern. Joe has lovingly reminded me that my affection and treatment of them cannot change, and with this I fully agree. It will be hard for me but I love the boys so very much.

Thanks for any suggestions you have to offer. I really do want to make this a smooth transition for them or at least to be prepared for what ever may occur.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Bringing up Baby

Post by Victory »

Congrats. Saw the FB message but havne't had a chance to say anything over there.

Anyway, most chows do well with babies that belong to them. LOL, As you progress you might notice them becoming more attentive to you. Following you around even more, more alert to you and your needs. A couple of things to do is one, don't make the baby's room and things off limits, that leads to jealousy and unfamilarity. When you setup the baby's room, bring in clothing, toys, furniture etc, let them particpate, just as if you had an older human child running around wondering. Also and this is really somethiing I've heard to be done over and over again, is to bring home one of the baby's recieving blankets from the hospital before you bring the baby home, this will familarize them with the baby's scent. If they whine and cry when the baby cries, that's okay, just tell them all is well and let them watch while you attend to the baby. Don't push them away while you take care of the baby, this also breeds jealousy. Be attentive to them and the baby at the same time, let them watch, let them sniff, etc. As the baby becomes a toddler carefully supervise all interactions to make sure everybody plays by the rules. Toddlers can be unthinkingly cruel pulling on ears and fur, hitting, etc. Chows will tolerate this, but no animal should have to, and if startled even a very tolerant dog can react before thinking. My first chows had been my mom's and when my neice was born, there are pictures of her laying between my mom's chow and my brother's lab, sucking her thump sound asleep and safe between them. There are pictures too of when she was older giving orders, (she was bossy little thing) to both my mom's chows and they are being very attentive. Common sense, good leadership and being fair, all the things you do now, are what work.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Oh thank you Victory!! Didn't think about the receiving blanket thing and since I will be delivering in TC (quite a ways from here) Joe will most likely come home alone a couple nights. That will be a great introduction!

I told Joe that I can foresee the moment when our little one grabs a couple tufts of hair with pudgey little fists and pulls himself up for the first time ... standing there giggling at his accomplishment ... all the while whomever it is (Leo OR Max) will simply turn, smile (maybe chuff or sigh) and just stand there, being support. A dream maybe, but warm to my soul.

The boys ARE taking such good care of me! They have been remarkably "close" over the last couple months, which at first I could not explain. Our Chowdren are so in tune with us.
anthonyfearn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anthonyfearn »

hi many congratulations , from watching your videos of your two other babies your going to be a great mom , all the very best from uk
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Blue or Pink bubble gum cigars are OK. Gives the nervous Dad a tension release on B-Day;
CHEW, CHEW, CHEW. :mrgreen:
For the Chowdren Aunty and Uncky; treats; Chomp, Chomp, Chomp. :biggergrin:
May your dreams come true, health, happiness, harmony and blessings for all of you. :shock: :o :D :x
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Congratulations Marti! So exciting for you and Joe. I think Victory's advice on introducing the boys to the baby is excellent. I can't offer too much advice since I did things in the other order (kids first then chows). The only thing I would suggest is you introduce them to the baby outside and then all go in to the house together, it might make the boys more accepting of the new addition.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, congrats Marti and Joe you are going to have so much fun keeping chowdren , Joe and child's names straight! You will be yelling Leo when you mean the child's name and Max when you mean Joes name , but it will all come together though!!
I thought my daughter and son in law were not having children so I said to my hubby well then Iam getting another chow and I did Nikki ! 4 months later my daughter said she was pregnant! And we all know the wonderful story of Aiden and Nikki, and just this past Christmas he again said how much he still misses Nikki, and has proclaimed he wants to grow up and be a canine police officer just so he can be with his dog all day! ( he's only 4 so this career statement could change but Nikki gave him his love for dogs and mostly chows we've noticed). we did the blanket thing too and all Nikki wanted to do when we had the baby here was lick his FEET? We made no big deal of anything with the baby and it seemed to work well. when the baby cried we tried not to make a fuss and she seemed to accept it very well, we always supervised their actions together of course. It was probably harder because they didn't live close and we only saw them maybe every 2 months but Nikki excepted him very nicely each time they came to visit.And when the second one came she was just as excepting.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thank you everyone!!! I've got an appointment tomorrow with a doctor, who will probably also conduct an ultrasound right away too (I hope, I hope, I hope). Having a better idea of when our little bundle will arrive will help up plan and budget better.

On the way home from the store today I had the idea that we need to get a car seat right away. Right now, the boys have full run of the entire truck (well, maybe not driving or under Joe's feet); the console, the back seat, etc. Today, it was so snowy we had to put the groceries in the back seat and I had the idea that it would be good practice for them to start smelling the car seat and realizing that it's okay to be there. I think that'll be #1 on our list of things to get.

Thank you Anthony: I appreciate your kinds words that soothe this new-Mom's anxiety. Chowpups are one thing and kiddles are quite another. I'm excited.

Thank you Wokman: What happy thoughts! I can feel them from here (even though you're only across the Great Pond)!

Thank you Karen: I LOVE the idea of meeting baby outside, and then going into the house together. Since it should be this summer, that shouldn't be too difficult. Great suggestion!

Oh Nancy! Just the thought of either of our sweet boys "sampling" that baby smell on feet brings a super-big smile to my face. How precious that would be ... and you KNOW I'm going to make every attempt to capture that on film!! For sure, for sure!!! Also, I can just hear me running through the names just as my own dear Mother did!! For years, I thought my name was Ja-Martha because she'd say, Ja (for Jamie) - Ja (for Janita) and then get to me, the youngest. Too, too funny!!!
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Just read your announcement and I’m doing my happy dance! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Congrats Marti! I’m so-o-o excited for you and Joe! I can imagine how over-the moon happy you both are. Many moons ago I had some health issues. My husband and I were married for ten years when God finally smiled on us and blessed us with a daughter.

I joined here in August 2011 and you were one of my first “chow buddies”, as I like to refer to the members here. At that time you had recently lost Kimba and I had lost my Chloe. You were looking for another chow as I was. We both considered Bella, a black chow, who was in West Virginia. We cheered each other on as our searches took us in other directions for our fur babies. Ever since that time - anytime I see your name pop up on this site I can’t resist clicking on it to see how you are, what’s going on in your life, read what you have to say or look at the pictures and videos you post. Loved this one on how you told Joe the great news! =D=

I, like Karen, can’t offer much advice since I also had my daughter before I got my first chow. Between now and when your new bundle of joy arrives, you’ll be given a lot of advice and different viewpoints. My one piece of advice will come into play after the baby is here. When you put you little one down for a nap - put yourself down for a little nap. Even if you just sit down, put your feet up and close your eyes for a few minutes. This will help you to recharge yourself. :) I did this up until my daughter no longer took an afternoon nap. (the truth be told - I still take a nap now and then)

Wishing you and Joe my best and bunches of happiness!

Sending you a big “congrats” hug and some purple kisses from Whitby

Take Care of yourself "Mom"

Pam
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

OMG! A BIG HUG FROM ME, PURPLE KISSES FROM CASSIE AND A HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND JOE! (hahaha - "How'd that happen?)
ANYWAY, I introduced Cassie to my 8 months old baby at the time by showing her to the pup, lowering her but in no case Cassie was allowed to lick her - just sniff sniff. Cassie knows there's a baby in the house as the days , weeks passed by. I did not allow Cassie to be alone with the baby wherein she could reach her, not once. There's an enclosure (a crib in my case), so their interaction is mighty limited. It is for my peace of mind and their safety.

When Ella turned 1 year old and can walk short distances I allowed her to pet Cassie and Cassie's been patient with her. Now that she is 18 months old, she and Cassie are pals and i can leave them roaming around while I garden. When being carried, Ella usually shares her foodie with Cassie by throwing bits or the whole lot to Cassie. She is more afraid of Blue than she is of Cassie and Cassie tolerates her somewhat. Would lick her hands and feet (if carried)

Goodluck. Introducing baby smells will not hurt. Because any new scent will only highten their curiosity.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Pam and Cam ... THANK YOU!!! Yes, we're over the moon. At 22 weeks we're already half-way there. Next step March 8th is to discover whether it's a girl or boy (it's better for us financially to know for sure).

Since we don't have anything for the baby room, yet, I have at least opened the door to allow them to explore, then as we bring things home, we'll continue with that.

Yes, we're very excited here!! And the boys, too, must know that something's going on. Max has started licking/listening to my tummy. Perhaps he hears baby kicking or even heartbeat?? Both are now sleeping on my side of the bed (which is none too convenient while dodging our "speed bumps" in the middle of the night. But, I pet and cuddle on the way back in.