My Little Lilly

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

My Little Lilly

Post by Me & Tess »

I found Lilly on Pet Finder on Christmas day. Contacted the Rescue, made application & included Tess’ story. I got a call the next day and Catherine from the rescue who was crying, she said that this was a miracle. She told me that we were approved to adopt Lilly. Everything went so fast.

Lilly’s first 30 hours or so were hard on her. She had to leave the only family she’s known for five years. She was locked up in a crate for maybe 12 hours in the cab of a Simi truck trailer. Then meeting her new family. She was so scared, feeling so alone.

We set out for Missoula Thursday at 10 am. Picked up some cash at the bank to pay for Lilly. The rescue said that the truck driver – an uncle of one of the ladies from the rescue, would be in Missoula at 4 pm and for us to call him at 2 pm. We called and he hadn’t even left Yakima he said he was leaving soon and would be there around 10 pm. Then he called back and said he would be in around 12-12:30 am & would call us 45 minutes out. He did get at the meeting point. Poor Lilly was in a crate. She was so scared. She looked so little huddled in the back of the crate, I tried to get her out of the crate while it was in the cab of the truck. We finally decided we would just keep her in the crate. We got her up to our room & she would only come out to eat. Mike took her out around 4:30 am to do her business. She was still very skittish. I sat in the back seat with her on the way home. (not in the crate) I petted her but she hardly looked at me. She did lay her face in my hands and took naps. She watched out the window. When we got home we were bringing things in from the Trooper. She was acting nervous and was sniffing everything. A little later I found that she peed on the floor of the bedroom. It was really our fault. I got her brought her in the bedroom and gave her a scolding, just regular tone of voice but firm. You would have thought I had broken her heart. She laid in a little corner with her head on the floor between her paws hiding her face. She was no longer nervous, so I think she thought that the scolding would have been worse than it was. I took her out a couple of times before I went to bed. Woke up at 4:30 and she had pooped on the oriental rug. No scolding but I took her right out. Then Mike got up and found that she went pee on the hallway rug. Still didn’t scold her. When I got up Mike told me what he found. I took her out again. Mike was snow blowing trails for her to go towards the woods. She pooped & peed. Good Chow! Mike took her out when he was going to the garage and she pooped on his garage floor. He took her for another walk before breakfast. Poor Lilly. She is going to need a firm but gentle hand. She is showing us when she needs to go out, no more accidents. Like I said she was very skittish. We couldn’t approach her from the front, she‘d shy away. Friday night she was still unapproachable and I had to corner just to giver her a hug & soft talk. Saturday morning she was feeling more at home, still shying away. She has started coming to us for pets. She is hanging with me in the kitchen. She no longer needs to hide in the corner & is socializing.

She is very food oriented. Her previous owner had her on a human diet & seems like she was used to grazing all day. We have her on a feeding schedule. Never thought of schedules before, but I guess Tess was on a schedule too. We got her a high grade kibble, special cookies that have brewer’s yeast as the first ingredient. She takes little treats of cheese so gently. Her new diet is agreeing with her.

Mike ordered her a tag so she is ours, forever Chow. She just has lots of issues that need to be taken care of thru kindness and firmness.

This is just the beginning for my little Lilly. She improves every day. We’ve had some great walks in the middle of the night and early morning hours. I think I have another late night companion, Lilly is another girl of the night.
Last edited by Me & Tess on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My Little Lilly

Post by Fozzbear »

I am so pleased that you have each other - what is Lily's background?
I wish you both much joy over the coming year and years together.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so happy for you both and for little Lilly.
She is a very lucky little chow chow lady and by spring she will be "your girl".
You know exactly what you are doing and I send all good wishes over from here in Cheshire to you.
Purple kisses and harrumphs from Tilly and Maisie. :D [:D] [:D]

x x x x x x x
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly is changing so fast into a sweet loving girl. Mike & I sit together in the evening for an hour or two, cuddling under the blanket. This evening Lilly climbed up on the sofa to join us. I can't believe she is the same scared little thing of less than a week ago.

Lilly is a small, 30 lb pure bred Chow. She is five years old. She has only known one other owner(s) who had to give her up because she/they were moving. The Yakima Vallery Rescue was the Rescue that had her listed for only a couple of hours (or less) when I found her. Everyone knows how hard I have been looking this winter. Mike asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I said another Chow, & there was Lilly.

We have taken pictures of her, & Mike will help me with posting. But in the meantime this was Lilly's Pet Finder site. She is a pretty little thing
Last edited by Me & Tess on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh my goodness - bless her. I am so happy she has found the love she needs and you have your best Christmas present ever. :lol:
My Milly was a small chow - only about 34 lbs. with Mabel not a lot heavier. They were purebred and beautiful girls.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures. :D
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I cant wait to read further installments as she settles in and gets braver. What a wonderful life she has ahead of her and lovely that you found each other at Christmas. It makes me smile reading this :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

My Lily had been 33 pounds most of her adult life. She recently went up to a whopping 40 pounds, but we had to switch her food and she was on a short course of steroids, so she may be back down already. I always say she is my Cocker Spaniel sized Chow!

Sounds like she is adjusting. It takes some Chows a longer time than the average dog because they hold the memory of their old home longer. Sounds like you are being patient, and that is the best you can do at this point. Sounds like it will be a wonderful new year!
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

What a little cutie-pie she is!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I'm so happy for you and Lily and Mike too.

My Firesong has always stayed about 32-35lbs, now that she is almost 12, food seems to be her main concern and she's gained a bit, probably at 45lbs now, but still fit, (her vet has always wanted her to be that big) so the little girls aren't unknown.

Can't wait to see more pictures of Lily.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

She is gorgeous!!! You must be over the moon with joy! Don't make us wait too long for more pictures!!! :twisted:
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

So glad to hear you all are getting adjusted to each other so quickly! can't wait to see more pictures and what a great life it sounds like you and Mike have to offer her! Iam in bed sick so more stories would be great to read, while Iam down and out!! ( No pressure hehe)
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

I haven't been on the site in awhile. Logged in today and saw your post. What wonderful news! I am so happy that you were ready to adopt a new chow when Lilly was looking for a home.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Wow! What great news to see that you have found Lily. We look forward to new Lily stories of her and her new family learning to love each other!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

It is just a little more than a week that Lilly's been with us, her personality is changing with every new day. She is a sweet little thing who now accepts hugs and pets. This morning Lilly let me pet her belly did a little wiggle wiggle of pleasure and gave me little love nibbles on my arm. She is settling in nicely. She is following me everywhere helping me do the daily chores. She loves to be in the kitchen & takes little peeks on what is on the kitchen counters. She has learned how to climb the stairs to the loft. She climbed up & climbed down & climbed up & climbed down for practice. She was so proud of her self. Lilly figured out where to sit on the stairs so she can look out the window & watch the deer. I have opened the dining room blinds and she loves to stand there with her paws on the windowsill looking out. She loves her walks in the forest and smells everything. I let her go at will, smelling all the smells, so she will know our forest. I still have her on the leash (they did say she was leash trained, but I really doubt it) but for a little girl she tugs hard. A couple of days ago she got so scared falling snow from the wood pile, she tried to take off on a run, me slipping in the snow saying "easy Lilly, easy." Our last walk for the day is at 8 pm, it is very dark. I holding the flash light, she's leads me down the path to the creek. I'm a little nervous about that, and tell her Lilly let's "go home," she makes a turn & starts back up the trail towards "home." Lilly's little nose and ears are always active. She is becoming my little Chow girl companion.
Last edited by Me & Tess on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

You finding Lilly at that time sounds like one of those old time warm and fuzzy Christmas movies. :lol:
It sounds like you are enjoying every moment with your special gift. My new addition Abby; today went up the stairs twice and was so happy at her accomplishment she ran around wiggling her caboose and barking. Abby too has discovered the Deere, and wants to go meet them. I will see if the next time we go for a walk she wants to be spoiled and carried up the stairs.
I have not checked, but there was an outdoor sporting goods company REI.com that had strap on cleats for ice walking called Stabilicers; less costly and disruptive than a broken bone. ]):)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I never leave the house in snow/ice without my clip on spikes for my shoes. I have had too many falls walking chows in the past. So dangerous when they see a deer or a rabbit. Since getting them I am scared to tempt fate but not one fall :)
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I want to give you a hug and Lilly! So happy that you now have her. Congratulations! She's in the best of hands now. :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Well done little Lilly and wwell done you. =D= \:D/ =D=
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I have something like stablizers (sp). They are for the ice, but you can use them on rocks too. Luckily we've got the fluffy stuff right now but it will warm up soon & ice will form. I have them handy. We went on our first walk of the day, into the forest so she can "spend a penny." Lilly stood very still at the forest edge and looked at our cabin for almost at least 5 minutes.

Yes, she is a wonderful Christmas gift from Mike. Things were a go at first, then it wasn't a go. I just sat and cried that Wednesday night. Mike woke me up the next morning telling me to get a hold of the Rescue we were on the road within three hours, off to Missoula to pick up our girl. She looked so little and scared in the crate. Now she has just fluffed out and seems bigger, especially when we do our walks; Lilly the lion hearted.
Last edited by Me & Tess on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Lilly is a beautiful little girl. I too am looking forward to more pictures and stories, I so enjoyed reading about you and Tess. It sounds like Lilly is getting settled right in and has taken very well to owning you!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes indeed - seems to me like Little Lilly is beginning with your training beautifully - she will have you both wrapped round her beautiful little woolly paws and won't have even noticed! :lol: :roll:
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Today was a mile stone for Lilly. We let her out this morning without her leash. I went to the edge of the forest, then Mike let her out. She was hesitant at first. I called to her & she came. Spent a penney plus some change. Then explored a little. She was ready to come in with a little coaxing. We have no fences up here in the North country. The dogs run free. I never had to worry about Tess, she would hardly leave the clearing without us. She was a big girl and street wise & became wilderness wise. Lilly is so little, has a lot to learn. I won't be letting her out without me too soon. Tess was a hardy soul. Lilly is a delicate flower.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly did zoomies this afternoon. =D= She is such a happy little Chow girl! \:D/
Last edited by Me & Tess on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

There is something so wonderful about that first zoomie when you adopt a rescue. Lilly knows she is home and safe :D .
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

So glad that she's learning and adjusting. Remember though that even though she's a dainty little thing, she thinks she's a big girl. My Firesong is little too, and not a bit shy, I know she'd go after anything bigger than she is without hesitation if she felt I was threatened, or if her space was being invaded.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!