My little Bodyguards.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

My little Bodyguards.

Post by Judy Fox »

I have never noticed any aggression with Matilda and Maisie or indeed, Milly and Mabel.
When we have visitors or people call, they have a good look, check things out and then clear off and do their own thing.
However, I was quite surprised to see their response to a situation on Friday last at mid-morning.
Our neighbour from next door but one was taken ill and his wife had called the ambulance. The First Response car came first and the paramedic went into the house. Soon afterwards, the emergency ambulance arrived and the two paramedics rushed out. They came up the pavement and instead of turning left to go to No. 6, they turned right and to our gate. Fred called to me and warned me they seemed to be coming here. I was at the end of the hall opposite the front door and before I could do anything a paramedic had flung the door open and stepped into the hall.
Matilda and Maisie were with me as I can't do things without them helping. They went rushing up the hall to the front door - I yelled "Don't let the dogs out" at which point he stepped back out. I got to the door and told him that he needed to be at No. 6 and off they went.
However, I was surprised at Matilda and Maisie - they were furious and barked and snarled - they were not going to let the paramedic get me! :D
Afterwards, I was a bit annoyed because our next door neighbour from No. 7 told me that he had told him it was No. 6 they needed.
Anyway, all over now but the girls were going to protect me. \:D/
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: My little Bodyguards.

Post by cherriemater »

Wow! What a response! Your poor chowdren were so startled, I bet! Glad to know that they'll be right there for you in a real situation and I'm glad the guy listened when you told him to shut the door. There's something to comforting in knowing the pups are there for me, too. I know their barks when something is not quite right. Good girl, 'Tilda! Good girl, Maisie! Purple kisses from the boys!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you - I think they were good girls.
As I said, I have never seen that sort of attitude from them before or from Milly and Mabel when they were alive.
They are so laid back and I suppose when I open the door to people and invite them in, the girls realise that all is well.
I have never seen such wooly balls of fury! :shock:
But as you say, it is good to know they would respond in a real case of intruders. \:D/
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Geez if that had been my place they would missing a limb by now. I had a women show up at the door collecting for a charity and I was outside at the time. My boy was lying in the bathroom on the tiles where it is cool and did not hear her knock. She slid the door open and yelled if anyone was home. Next a black grizzly bear appeared from nowhere bolting towards the door. She quickly closed it as he pounded on the door with his front paws. She was shaking when I got to her and she said she had never been so frightened by a dog.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

People are so Afraid of Kodi...They say his looks are mean...We laugh we think he is cute...lol...I wouldnt tho try walking in our House or yard that i can tell you...Besides him we have a female chow...a collie and a BIG Airedale...which i would be more scared of LOL....Kodi is a BIG too But next to Bear our airedale he doesnt look so BIG...lol.....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Judy it sounds like what Cocoa would do. She is so friendly when we are out and fine with people I have welcomed into the house but if a stranger came in uninvited she would probably react the same way. And I don't think that's a bad thing. :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Well I agree - I don't think it is a bad thing.
As I stated, I was not best pleased. Our next door neighbour was out sorting his car out and the paramedics asked him which house it was and he told them but they just rushed past him and through our gate. I tell you, I would have been furious if they had let the girls out. :)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

They did what they were supposed to do. And they do know when someone has been invited in and when someone doesn't have an invitation. My two are super friendly when I invite people in, even my less friendly chows, MingToy and LiChi understood that if I opened the door and let someone in that person was to be left alone. I pity the fool that just walks in however.

This is dangerous and difficult when there are emergency workers coming in though. They need to always knock first, to know if dogs are present at least. And emergency people should be trained how to respond. When my mom passed away she did so with MingToy and LiChi in the house with her, when the sherriffs came in, MingToy backed away, but LiChi charged, he got a face full of pepper spray for it, but it didn't really hurt him and it was because the neighbors had warned the sheriffs that the chows were in the house and they were prepared with a non-lethal deterent.

Not quite a problem in the UK, but here it is a very big issue.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Good girls!
Humphers turns into a different dog at night - it isnt when people knock on the door but if anyone is hanging around.
The other night we came home late and as we were getting out of the car, there was a guy on the other side of the road who looked a bit shifty. Humphrey stood in front of me and was growling and snarling - I couldnt believe it! Never seen that before. The guy carried on - there was no way he would come near us.
We heard a funny noise in the massive National Trust park that we walk in once - Humph stood in front of me growling - then he realised that it was a cow in another field and went back to his daft self!
It is amazing how they recognise something out of the ordinary. I feel safer with Humphrey, even though he is a big soft dollop, I think he could mean business if I was threatened.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Good girls 'Tilly and Maisie! :lol: :) It's a good feeling to know they'll protect you if/when they need to, isn't it Judy?

Dixie has proven she'd give her life for me, and I'm pretty positive that Todd would (even though he couldn't do much being only 5 lbs :lol: ), but Jasper, I just dunno what he would do. I only ever see Jasper's big baby side. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, but that is the point Jess - I have only ever seen the big baby side of both Milly and Mabel and Tilly and Maisie. Mabel was and Maisie is great big goof balls - affectionate, lovable and soft. Milly and Tilly - both aloof but lovely.
So I would suspect if you were in danger Jasper would defend you. :D
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

So wonderful Judy, Matilda & Maisie are stepping up to take their place as guardians to their Fred and Judy! You describe ours as well big babies and comedic goof balls(I love it). All have shown their " Not if my Mom and Dad didn't say so side". I have found comfort in knowing intruders would not be welcome here. On the lighter side my husband and I have joked that they probably are more concerned with sharing attention or food. We say this because when someone they know that dotes over them they are so excited(their here for me their here for me!). Silly kids! Gotta love them!
Bella & Balou
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes that is true. Matilda and Maisie love our daughter Rhiannon and our granddaughter Isabelle and when they come up for Christmas, they will be thrilled and will do their happy dance all over the place while they settle in. They love our little granddog too!! Little Bert loves them. :lol: