I thought he was gone....

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

I thought he was gone....

Post by Piff Poff »

SO many of you may remember, we moved out to the country in the summer. Our property is not fenced (2 acres) and along one side is a creek/ravine, the banks are too steep for humans and the creek is a couple of hundred feet down. We have been using a tie out for Henry.

Because it's now cold and there is snow on the ground, I have been using a caribiner clip to attach the tie out to Henry's harness as the tie out clippy thing is frozen.

WELL! The other day, Henry was woofing at something, so I went out to call him in and he looked at me as if to say NAH, I'm staying here! So I started to reel him in, I had just taken up the slack when POOF! Henry was gone (no tugging or anything) I called him as he usually dances around and then comes in. He looked at me with the devil in his eyes and went straight down the creek side, it all happened in seconds, I'm running outside in just socks (remember snow on ground) and calling Henry and offering all sorts of bribes - nothing, he is not even looking back (he's never done that) and then he was out of sight.

My heart dropped and I thought, well, he's gone :cry: As there was no way I could follow him. Now we have a routine in the mornings - as most people have, and as it has been cold and snowy my morning routine includes automatically starting the truck ready to head off. I came inside, pushed the button for the car starter In the hope that Henry would hear it and think and phoned my husband to let him know our boy had run away. While I was on the phone, Henry appeared by the truck and was sniffing around it. I opened the front door and called him in as though nothing was out of the ordinary and my gorgeous boy came wandering inside and had a drink and a treat. PHEW!

The caribiner clip had snapped in half - probably because it got cold and brittle, I have to go and get a heavy duty something now. I'm thanking my lucky stars that Henry loves us enough to worry that we are leaving him out in the cold all day when he would rather sleep in peace in the warm.
Thank you Sweatpea
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: I thought he was gone....

Post by oceans »

So glad Henry returned safe and sound.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I'm glad he came back. Silly boy!
I would recommend going to a true sport store where they carry climbing gear or look on line, you need a carbinor that won't freeze and then snap in half in the cold. I would think that the ones used for cold weather climbing are different than the ones used for other things.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Alls well that ends well, thank goodness! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Glad to hear that all's well that end's well. Thank you for the post, it makes me question the set up that we use for Rory too. The compression clip itself is suspect enough, and i have been real careful in checking that it is properly secured, but the weather is starting to change here too and its good to remember that plastics react differently in cold weather.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Victory wrote:I would recommend going to a true sport store where they carry climbing gear or look on line, you need a carbinor that won't freeze and then snap in half in the cold. I would think that the ones used for cold weather climbing are different than the ones used for other things.
+1
Most carabiner clips sold are "decorative," and not rated for strength like those that are manufactured for climbing, industrial, and rescue use.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Yep I'm gonna get a proper caribiner clip, no worries there, right now I am using a second leash clipped onto his harness and tie out. Our neighbours laugh at us for keeping Henry leashed - their dogs are loose, they also laugh at us walking him - I like walking him - maybe not when it's -40 but other than that I like it, he gives me a purpose.
Thank you Sweatpea
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Piff Poff wrote: Our neighbours laugh at us for keeping Henry leashed - their dogs are loose, they also laugh at us walking him - I like walking him - maybe not when it's -40 but other than that I like it, he gives me a purpose.
Letting a dog run loose even in the country where there are fewer vehicles is still dumb. They can get in trouble with wild animals, wolves, bears, cougars even coyotes and believe or not raccons can severly injure or even kill a dog, even a large one. They can also be exposed to diseases and poisons, or shot if some farmer thinks they are pests and believes they may be after domestic stock. If you care about your dogs, you keep them secure.

And I agree, having dogs to walk is good for you, even when it's several degrees below zero, (you keep that -40 degree stuff up there....brrrrrrrrrrrr, -20 below is bad enough)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

My thoughts exactly Victory. There used to be 3 dogs living in the trailer up the side road - one old boy, one younger lady and one puppy (about 2) - the puppy got quilled in the nose this summer and has now disappeared :(
Thank you Sweatpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Your boy loves you and would come back...in his own time. Lily does the same thing. When she gets loose, she actually will zoom the house every few minutes to let me know she is around. I am already outside, of course, looking in her usual places of fun whilst free. The biggest concern of course, is the dangers of traffic, as someone else pointed out.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

We are quite quiet traffic wise where we are these days. I'm still so relieved he came home, he has barely let me out of his sight since lol
Thank you Sweatpea
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Whew! My heart was racing!!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)