Joe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need some help.

Post by Joe »

Kovu
Kovu
Kovu.jpg (75.28 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
My wife and I are fostering a small Chow. When I say this please don't think he is a puppy according to the vet I took him to he is an adult, however he is only 25 lbs. He does have all the Chow breed characteristics such as the blue tongue and the red "lion" head, however I have never seen anything like this, and some idiot cropped his tail. Is it possible, because his tongue is kind of marbled, that he was a mix or is it another breed all together. I stopped in Petco yesterday to get him a few items, and was promptly the center of attention by their "vet". I was asked if he was some very long name the has escaped me. I am just curious as to the community as a whole if you can help me out here. attached is a picture of him.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Need some help.

Post by Sirchow »

He looks like a young chow to me. I would like to see the whole of him to see what his coat looks like but from his face he looks quite young so may grow some more yet. He is gorgeous and I hope he finds a lovely forever home. Thank you for fostering this lovely boy.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

He could be a cross. Hard to tell from the photo, though. Some wise acher might have thought to make him look like a cocker. My bitch purebreed is 34 pounds and very petite for a female. one at 25 pounds and male to boot is still a pup, or maybe a Pomeranian/Chow mix.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Hard to say from just seeing his face! It's definitely a Chow face though.
Doesn't look like a puppy. I would have guessed senior dog!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Can you get a whole picture up?...he might be a mix..
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Joe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joe »

Here he is in full view. This is the size of a full grown chow something or another. I don't know if anyone can help but I can tell you he was shaved 1 month prior to this pic. Some fool thought it would be neat to shave this beautiful dog. Any insight would be great.
Attachments
Kovu Full.jpg
Kovu Full.jpg (161.1 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Probably a mixed breed.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Lots and lots of Chow in him! I think you can get away with describing him as purebred to potential adopters!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Sarahloo wrote:Lots and lots of Chow in him! I think you can get away with describing him as purebred to potential adopters!
He's a mix and he should be described as such. Doing anything else could end up with him dumbed again or in a kill shelter. Best to be honest at all times.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

What's mixed about him? Nothing I can see!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

With photos that large, it's hard to judge. I took liberties and enhanced and resized your photo.

To give you perspective, this is Lily (34lbs) with Dillon (77lbs)

He certainly looks PB in the face. When he is standing, does he have stilted (stick straight) back legs like Dillon? When you touch him, is he very boney?
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

If he is a mixed, he's mixed light. He looks very chowish to me. I think it would be almost better to get a picture of him standing in full stance kind of like Auddymay's but profiled or 3/4?

Auddymay- side note, but honest to goodness Lilly is soo small! but you made me feel better when you said Dillon was 77lbs. Ty goes anywhere from 75-78ish and I'm worried about him being too heavy even though his stomach tucks up nicely and when he's wet he's narrow. The rib test doesn't work well on him, but the vet's board of dogs weighs them at the highest like 70, so I thought Ty was overweight even though they've never said anything lol. Everyone says he's a big boy, but I've seen bigger dogs lol. I don't think he's that big haha
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our Kodi is A big boy..he is 25 to 25-1/2 at the shoulders weighs in at 75-80lbs...and is 16 months old...TyChowgirl...How old is Ty?....And i know Kodi has more filling out to do...He isnt Fat at all Just BIG...lol...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Joe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joe »

He has straight legs when he stands and what a cutie unfortunately every time I try to get a picture when he stands he lays down. everything about him screams Chow to me but I know there has to be a mix. It was worth a shot, thanks for all the replys.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

He doesn't have to be a mix. The tongue not being all blue/purple means nothing. Dim Sum is pure Chow, and his tongue is spotted. But 25 lbs. is definitely small; he might be mixed with another Spitz-type dog.
cocoilia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Confused about the tongue!

Post by cocoilia »

Hi, I got a 12 week old chow, who's tongue is completely pink. So I am wondering if he is a mix. Can anyone help me? I purchased him from a seller and haven't seen the pups parents. According to the seller he is purebred. Thx!!!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (173.25 KiB) Viewed 5380 times