General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

my chow baby is wet all the time!

Post by cge2809 »

hi guys!
I have 3months chow chow, and I brought her 3weeks ago.
she's sooo cute!
but now I have a big concern.....

everytime she drinks water, she gets all wet!!
I have a "water-whole" but it seems the whole is still big enough
to put her half of face.

and I need to chase her with a towl to
dry her whole wet face!

How do your chows drink water?
any good idea?
yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: my chow baby is wet all the time!

Post by yatta5000 »

my pup gets his face wet and when i spray him him a spray bottle he loves it....:( its sucks because i thought he would hate it and it'll redirect him away from something i did want him in. "The Irony". Anyhow, maybe your chow likes her face wet. if she's outside it shouldn't be a problem since it'll dry up
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Oh gosh Rio looks like a drool monster when he has had a drink, I was forever wiping his chin and then I gave up, he just shakes it off or wipes it on my leg.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

When Cocoa was a puppy she used to play in her water dish with her paws like a cat splashing water everywhere. Now she won't even step in a puddle. :lol:
tysonchow03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tysonchow03 »

At petsmart I seen a water dish with nubbies sticking out of them theyre like lumps so your dog can gulp tons of water and choke... Theyre big and close enough together that puppies can't stick their whole face in...
Proud parents since 2010

Marlee Chow- DOB April 7, 2012
Tyson Chow - DOB Jan 15, 2003
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our Puppy chow was the same way...Wait he is 12 months old and still like that...LOL...we use spill proof bowls they seem to help alot Pet smart sells them...its worth a shot...Our female chow she is an in-betweener half rough half smooth coat she is better but she isnt the besat drinker when done she drools it all over..LOL...i just think its there nature...Oh and our male chow loves loves the sprinkler he plays in it...so does out girl too....Thought they didnt like water....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Louie's parents
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Louie's parents »

I have a 13 week old puppy and he puts his paws in the bowl and "digs" to splash the water on the floor. Then he lays in it!
cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: thanks!

Post by cge2809 »

thank u all for comments!
I guess chows just like to play with water!

Well, I guess I have to keep carrying towels
with her! :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Couple of thoughts, and we experience the same thing. Shallower bowls could help. Bandana type bibs. Or just keep drying the ruff after every drink. I have read other posts cautioning against a possible mold build up if allowed to stay wet, so keep that in mind.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

My two don't get water on themselves, but they get is everywhere else.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

My chow's underchin and neck will always be wet after a drink. One time, she dunk her face and front paws in the pail. it is hot here in my beloved country. I always leave a gallon of water for her so you can imagine she really can wash herself on it whenever she likes. I DONT bother to dry her with towels as it is hot her and she'll be dry in no time. I just brush away when her fur is dry already to keep away the tangles.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Humphrey hasn't had a dry 'bib' since I got him! He puts his face in the water bowl and his paws and occassionally also his bum! He also walks about in long wet grass and lies in puddles in the garden. :roll: I didn't know about the mold risk, so will dry him off a bit more but I expect he will be a soggy doggy until he gets a bit older and his head is bigger/further off the floor.
tysonchow03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tysonchow03 »

yesterday our new little 8 week old runs to me with soaking wet paws... someones been in the water dish...

I think our 9 year old Tyson must be getting pretty annoyed for the longest time it was just him and his water and now his water disapears faster and often has little things in it.... fuzz, grass, dirt,.. toys... I refresh the water bowl like 3 times a day!
Proud parents since 2010

Marlee Chow- DOB April 7, 2012
Tyson Chow - DOB Jan 15, 2003
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Apollo's chin and chest is wet ALWAYS everytime he drinks water, and I can pretty much say that's all the time. Hahahaha.

Apollo is a 'messy' drinker. Lol. I don't know if its intentionaly or not that he sometimes drag his water bowl somewhere and leaves the area wet. Hahaha.

He also loves putting his paws on his bowl that's why we change the water often :)

We bought him a water feeder (the one that has to be placed in a crate) and he doesn't even use it! He tried using it once and he gave up easily! He has to push the nozzle so that the water will come out. I guess he's just lazy to do such and realized he can't play with his water anymore if he starts using the feeder. Lol.

I don't like him getting wet except for bath time. He's cream and can get dirty easily! Haha. The irony is he doesn't like it when we're giving him baths. He would run away from us or find a way to escape our shower room! But he really loves it when he's playing with the water in his bowl. I don't get what's the difference! Hahahaha.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Dreamdancer played with his water when he was young. Firesong will drink and then walk away with water in her mouth and allow it to dribble out all over the floor. Neither get there fronts wet though, I think it's because they both have longer muzzles.

Puppies play with water, grass, sticks and even rocks; they get muddy and dirty and even get little oowies, it is normal and means they are happy and healthy.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

My Milly used to play with her water when she was a chowling and used to wet the kitchen floor with it then skid all over the place - we could almost hear her squealing with glee! :lol: Mabel never does - she is very sedate.
Similarly, Matilda is very sedate when she drinks but Maisie dribbles all over the place and needs wiping - she is a sloppy girl - she is always in such a hurry she seems to walk away from the water bowl whilst she is in "mid lap" . :?
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

My lil Zahra played in water dish as well and more than her face got wet lol

She was to the point of jumping into bathtub and barking at faucet until I'd turn on the water....

Sent from me, Chowmomma
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1339989952430.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1339989952430.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 15395 times
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

That just cracked me up - so funny!! :lol: =D= =D=
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

it is best if you can dry them off alittle, the Vet even told me when Nikki had to wear the cone type collar so she didn't chew at a hot spot that drinking with the cone on and getting wet under the chin could cause a skin issue also under her chin ,so when you can wipe them as dry as you can . And yes she figured out how to drink with the cone on but got very wet under the chin.. as a puppy we used the bandanas also see in the banner pic as a puppy.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

When she was a puppy Cocoa would splash the water everywhere and she and the floor would be soaked then she would bring me the bowl for a refill. :lol: Fast forward to this weekend, pouring rain and we came upon a puddle that was too big to jump or go around and you should have seen the look she gave me that said "how dare you expect me to get my paws wet." :-x Things sure have changed!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Izzie was one of the wettest puppies ever and I discovered why. I can actually make a pony tail (bunches) of skin behind her head. She has so much skin you can lift it off her in any place and get enough to make a small handbag :lol: This skin moves arround and when she puts her head down it all falls forward into the bowl. It was funny when she was expecting her babies because the weight of the puppies pulled all the loose skin backwards and she stopped having a wet chin and her face lost all its wrinkles. Maybe if you puppy is the same the best thing to do would be to lift the bowl up so they dont have to put their head down. Izzie was permanently soaking for about six months but has got a lot better. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Sarah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sarah »

:laughloud: Hahaha cracking up at some of these comments. Lola is terrible at drinking. She'll gulp down everything she wants, but on the last swig, she'll only swallow about a quarter of it, then let the rest just spill out of her mouth as she walks off. I usually just grab a towel and wipe it up. She really doesn't seem to mind the wet chin, since it does dry up pretty quickly, and it even cools her down a bit!
Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game ;) Loving my 2 year old darling Lola <3
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Oh Chowmamma, I love that picture in the bathtub. My Waldo would join me when I took a bath, and had to have a drink out of the sprayer.
Hazel Wade
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hazel Wade »

These comments really made me laugh. My chow puppy is always wet too, drives me crazy.
Attachments
7AA5F546-EA8A-48F0-8C32-6EE45414C2BC.jpeg
7AA5F546-EA8A-48F0-8C32-6EE45414C2BC.jpeg (20.54 KiB) Viewed 10508 times
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I simply raised my dogs food and water bowls up off the ground to where he doesn't lean down to eat or drink, problem solved.
No matter where you go, there you are.