What made you chose a Chow.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What made you chose a Chow.

Post by threedogjeep »

Leela made the call. The guy at the ASPCA said it as well. Or that is what I am told...he said she was choosing my DH and step son - the mentally ill one. She actually went up to Dylan and laid her head on his lap. Seems that Leela always knows where there is a hurt and wants to fix it...or lick it ! Anyway...they brought her home one night and I had no idea that one were getting another dog already and two that they had done it without teaming with me and three that it was a breed I knew nothing about. And when they came in I immediately fell in love her her wide snout and human, almond eyes. With the help of you guys on this board, I learned the breed. But, really, Leela is easy. She needs a stern hand at times, but she is so smart, so compassionate, so independent, and so ...just....happy. This is a truly fabulous breed and I am so thankful that she told my guys that she wanted to bless our family...because that is just what she has done. She tends to our cuts and consoles our sadness and always manages to elicit a smile. We are blessed.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
dkas2929
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dkas2929 »

Tahla9999,
I didn't have much of a choice, my daughter's friend has one and after my wife started visiting her mother
and they got to be friends that was pretty much it. I didn't stand much of a chance against the both of them.
I have always been partial to jack Russel terrier's ( we have one named buddy) Its ok now because we all
love Cody (our chow) and he and bud are inseparable. :D
Samsonsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samsonsmom »

My husband introduced me to Chows. He had two previous chows. The first chow he had was a cream colored chow and she was not right behavior wise. He found out the mother was fed gun powder to be more aggressive. He did not have that chow very long. The second chow he had was a black chow and he told me that was a great dog. Loved people just not other dogs!

We got our first chow about 13 years ago. Bear was a chow mix and we got him from a shelter. He was a good puppy but had some health issues. His testicles never came down and when I got him neutered I had a lot of issues. He became more aggressive and was harder to deal with. No one could come in my house even people he new. I had have him put down because he bit my son unprovoked. I told my husband no more chows!

About 1.5 years ago the hubby was looking at dogs online and found a chow that was one year old and the owners could not keep him. So we went to look at Samson and I found out Samson was owned by a previous co worker! I felt more comfortable buying Samson then. Samson's previous owners did a wonderful job of raising him as a puppy! :D He has a great temperament and is very lovable. He is stubborn and loves to chase anything that flies in the yard particularily butterflies! :lol:

We love our Samson. He is the best chow we ever had! :!: :!:
MartMan86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MartMan86 »

When I was 15 and my brother was 7 we bugged and begged our mom and dad for a dog, literally EVERY DAY. Well one day mom finally broke and told us to pick between a Shar-Pei and a Chow-Chow, why only these choices we never asked but we agreed on a Chow because they looked like lions/bears and we thought that was cool. When we finally got our puppy, Zelda, I immediately fell in love with her. I slept in the living room on the floor with her for months so she wouldn't cry at night. When she got bigger she always slept in my bed or in my room. Needless to say she bonded with me greatly and I with her.

When I moved out at 19/20 I immediately got a Chow of my own to fill my home. Now at 25 I have two Chows, Nadia who is 5, and Kage who is 2 months. And to this day Zelda is still alive and kicking at 15yrs old, but I feel her time is coming to an end, she's having a hard time going up steps and starting to limp from joint pain even though she's on medicine for it :( .

I'll never own ANYTHING but a Chow-Chow, regardless of price and how far I have to drive to obtain one. They are amazing dogs.