General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Yeasol
Rank 0
Rank 0

Heavenly chows breeder?

Post by Yeasol »

Hey guys,

Has anyone bought a chow from heavenlychows.com?
It's a breeder in Missouri and I would have to ship my puppy which is another concern on top of not being able to visit the kennel and seeing the pups and parents myself. Anyone recommend a reputable breeder or have experience shipping a puppy?

Thanks!!
Auddymay

Re: Heavenly chows breeder?

Post by Auddymay »

Only one of their dogs has had any testing done, or more accurately, only one has passed testing, and that was for hips. There are a few other tests both the dog and bitch should pass. If you are going to spend 900 clams, look around for a breeder who has fewer litters and does at least hip and elbow testing. Which state are you located?
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Any breeder that doesn't want to know what YOU have to offer a puppy is not a reputable one. If they will just sell to anyone, no questions asked, it's not a good idea to buy from them. A good breeder wants to get to know you to make sure that their precious pup is in good hands! As Audymay says, it's a lot of money to pay for a pup whose health you know nothing about!
Looks like they are running a puppy-selling business. So many litters in such a short amount of time. One or two a year is a sign of a responsible breeder who knows that great homes are not that easy to find. I can't say that their adults look particularly happy or well taken care of!
Have you considered rescuing a dog from a shelter?
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Like I've said before, buying a pup online, have him ship to new homes without going to the kennel to see personally the breeder and parents of the pup IS NOT the way to do it. That's my opinion.
If you are in the US why not go to dog pounds/dog for adoption and have a look at chows who are relatively young 12-15 months or younger than buying a fresh pup. The younger the lesser time it will take for you to bond. Older dogs need more patience and dedication for you to gain his trust.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

I agree with all the above...save a life, adopt a homeless chow. Petfinder has many purebreds but you will have to do some searching and check out 'chows in need' on facebook. There are puppies to seniors needing homes. And if you dont mind waiting you can put in an application with Chow Chow of Central New York (if/when you are approved they will let you know when a purebred puppy rescue comes available)

But if you have your heart set on purchasing, please, please take take the time to go visit the breeder and ask for a list of previous adopters. There are several members of this forum who bought from backyard breeders and have had nothing but medical and behavioral issues. I have had both chows I have purchased & those who were rescued. The last ones purchased came from Chows of Valhalla in Tn and the cost was way more than $900. But I corresponded with the Lopez family, visited the kennels planned & on short notice, and checked references.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Bella is right. In the US, a quality Chow from a reputable breeder is going to be much more expensive. Valhalla has a great rep.

Genetic testing can be spotty at best, only because not a lot of breeders will go through the expense, but it is a great positive.

I know the US members of this forum are very familiar with the breeders. Personally, i did a ton of research before selecting our current pup. I narrowed the list to a select few and was lucky enough to locate a breeder where i didnt have to fly the pup across the country. That wouldn't be my biggest barrier though if I had found the pup I wanted, from the breeder I wanted, a bit further away.

If you can let us know where you are at, we could likely be more helpful in directing you to the best breeder...but also remember, the best breeders dont necessarily have pups available year round.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

After posting my reply, i checked out the Heavenly Chows website...not so impressed.
Yeasol
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Yeasol »

Thanks for all the insight!

I am located in NYC and have been checking shelters in the area but chows are a rare breed in the city. I also didn't get approved by the ny chow adoption agency bc I never had a chow before. I would love to visit a kennel in any of the neighboring states, if anybody knows a reputable breeder.

Thanks again!!!
Yeasol
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Yeasol »

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

From NYC, you arent horribly far from my area...check out Eastway Chows. They are in Plymouth MA. I know they do not have any litters at the moment, but they produce great pups if you could wait a bit. Temperments are fantastic, and they are pretty dedicated to quality. We got our Rory from them 7 months ago and they showed up at his AKC show last month to check on him (may have be a competitive view as they kept one of the litter). They have updated us on Rory's littermates and new additions to their family. They do seem concerned about finding the right fit...we were prior Chow owners, but i dont think the entire litter went to experienced Chow people.
Yeasol
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Yeasol »

Great! Thanks so much, Rory's Dad :)
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Yeasol wrote:I also didn't get approved by the ny chow adoption agency bc I never had a chow before.
That sucks! How are people supposed to get Chow-experience if they aren't allowed to get a Chow? :roll:
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

If you are on facebook this rescue do so much good work
https://www.facebook.com/ChowChowRescue
Chow Chow Rescue of Central New York, Inc.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

I agree with the one post what is one to do if they want a chow puppy. I myself would not want to adopt a senior or a 2 year old one So one has to assume that every breeder that has a website selling chows is bad I simply don't agree I got our little bear from a local breeder from wher I live but they got out of breeding. So if I was looking for another chow pup and I had no luck locally finding a breeder I would turn to the Internet and try to make a decision of what online breeder impresses me the most
Louie's parents
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Louie's parents »

I actually just got a puppy from them earlier this month. He has two adult males and two adult females. I believe has has another litter on the way. Charles is a great guy. Reach out to him and I'm sure he can answer any questions that you have. My puppy is very friendly and hasn't gone number 2 in the house yet and also has only gone number 1 on a pee pee pad. Here is a picture of my pup, Louie.

Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

Gorgeous chowling
mebo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mebo »

Our family has two chows from Emily at heavenlychows.com. They are beautiful, sweet, and very healthy chows. We actually drove from SC to Missouri to pick up Minnie and Kate, mainly because of a freak storm that shut down the airports, but the added benefit was getting to view the kennels. The kennels were incredibly clean, and the older dogs were sweet as could be. I was impressed by her chow knowledge and with her openness in answering questions about her kennel, dams, and sires. Our pups are from Kodak and Daisy. Both of ours were xrayed for hip dysphasia by our vet, and they showed very minor--basically, what you'd see in any chow. Emily was actually recommended to us by two other breeders who did not have pups available when we were looking. She breeds for temperament and solicalizes the pups from a couple of weeks. In fact, in the 3 years I've had my Minnie (who is a cream), she's been to the vet only twice for illness--once when she rejected her spay sutures, and this past week for an ear infection. She's definitely not a guard/aloof chow---she's a cuddle bug.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Jdcell100 wrote:I myself would not want to adopt ... a 2 year old one
Why? He/ she would be young, energetic, look just the way you like your chows to look, and you would save his/ her life! Why would anyone not want that?
It's interesting that most of the people who come here asking for advice are having problems with their puppy. Hardly anyone seems to have problems with their rescue dog. They are so much more relaxed and willing to get along with everybody and everything. I have three species of rescued pets in my home and never had any sort of trouble. I can only recommend adopting.
About those internet breeders: It's not that difficult to understand that having 4 litters a month is wrong, or is it? Nobody objects to showing pictures of your puppies online (good breeders do it too), but opening a dog-selling business is so obviously wrong, when so, so many dogs are put to sleep every single day! And it's horribly hard on the females too, producing litter after litter, and the second they stop being able to have puppies, they are dumped into a shelter. So those dogs that you see on petfinder, they are the grandparents of those puppies that are always available online! They've been discarded, and if no kind soul intervenes, they die! That would be an unbearable thought for me, having a puppy at the expense of its very own relations. A decent breeder has 1 or 2 litters a year (and some years, no litter at all), and the puppies are raised with the help of the proud grandma and maybe a slightly senile but none the less proud great-grandma.
At this very moment, we have a forum member who does things the right way:
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 7k4k0dm2Fs
Puppies are not a commodity, to be sold and shipped and always be in supply! They are family members that are reluctantly given up to great people who will do everything in their power to give them beautiful lives!
I'm sure everybody has a decent breeder in the vicinity. You might have to drive for a couple of hours, but so what? Like Rory's Dad said, you might have to wait a couple of months for your puppy, but that really just gives you more time to prepare, time that is invaluable, really.
mebo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mebo »

Actually, it's not true that everyone has a breeder nearby. In fact, the closet recommended breeder breeds for show--they are beautiful, but we all know they can be prone to health issues due to their smushy faces. Because I wanted a more open face, I asked for her recommendations. I was also on the waiting list for 3 rescues in my area, since my first chow was a rescue that died suddenly due to our previous vet using the wrong anesthesia. There was not a chow to be found within the four states around me when I wanted to adopt. Emily, of Heavenly Chows, answered every question responsibly. I spoke with her by phone and by email before choosing to purchase a puppy from her kennel. She was detailed in the health of both the dam and sire. Every breeder is different, and I hesitate to judge either a breeder or an adopter based on a few online posts or a website. Yeasol asked about a specific breeder, there is no reason to jump on someone who chooses not to adopt an older rescue--if there is one available that could maybe be an option. I've both rescued and purchased--they both are/were rewarding in their own way.

Because I have a pair of Heavenly Chows pups, I can tell you they are beautiful, healthy, and loving. I would not hesitate to drive another 1800 round trip to get another one if I decide to add to my chow family. I would also not hesitate to adopt a rescue if it was the right time, and the right chow. But no one needs to continue to admonish those who choose not to rescue. Obviously we are all here because we love this breed, whether from a shelter or a breeder.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Obviously, my current pup is a breeder dog...and i say current, because i have had two previous Chows that passed on at ages 9 and 12 respectively. Have had 2 chows at the same time quite successfully, and would certainly consider adding a new one to our family.

We are currently on an AKC show campaign for Rory. That was not our intent when we got him, but we decided he has the breed qualities and would like to have him get an AKC CH designation. Part of that is as a testiment to the breeder, and in an off-chance sort of way toward potentially breeding him in the future.

I am absolutely not against rescue dogs, but have very big concerns personally. Knowing Chows, they have a long memory. Many rescues have been abused or neglected and have a hard time over coming that. I consistently review the rescue Chow listings, and i am stuck on a specific look for my Chows, but even finding that (longshot), i would really have to go through an 'interview process' that made me comfortable with the dog.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Yeasol, if you have a puppy prospect already, you know, for me, it really doesn't matter if it is a breeder pup or a pup from puppy mills, that is to say, no matter how that puppy is brought into this world, as long as you have him at 8 weeks or 9 week, you CAN bring him up pretyy much the way you wanted. If that puppy has a stable character , then you can mold him up. UPBRINGING. AS LONG AS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PUPPIES.

Dogs as rescue is a vocation. Yes you'll end up with possibly housebroken one with a lot of memories from the past - but even if that dog is abused, he can come out clean if he's of stable character. For me, if you can symphatise with the rescue's plight, it is really noble to adopt one. Many an owner hit a jackpot by rearing a wonderdog previously unwanted. whose loyalty is something to be treasured. Dogs learn and instinctively knows a person who is a dog lover. Much hope is in store. Unless you got unlucky and got yourself a dog who is psychotic or a dog who's been trained to attack. But if you dont know how to assess psychotic from normal, just go and see if the dog will go to you and allow you within his comfort zone and if it licks you or eat what you have to offer him. THIS IS ADULT 1-2 years.
Puppies or rescue dogs, both has a lot of issues and is time consuming to tell you the truth. If you got what it takes, then go for either of it.

Reason I said, you should see the dam and sire and breeder is because you said you wanna buy online. You must see the pup to see how he is. Is he nervous? Is he the confident one? is he the one who is content on watching from the sidelines? You choose your pup based on his temperament and yours as well. JUST Buying online can cause you to have tons of problems in the future. your dog suddenly had hip dysplasia at 2 years of age, if he got arthritis at 4 years of age. or if he'll have entropion at 8 months. All these can be seen in the dam or sire and thus prevented if you JUST TOOK THE TIME to visit and see.

Much of Sarahloo said, I agree with and really agree with. Pity because such people turned a hobby into a full time business. Worse, those who breed several breeds and if something in in style, they'll churn puppies out. Sad plight indeed.

Dogs can be lovingly reared, but being a responsible owner, you must know your dog's breed characteristic and respect it. Chows are territorial, and is into biting if you dare breach his comfort zone and you are a person who he does not know. Respect the breed's character and you'll be much better.
Yeasol
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Yeasol »

thanks for all the wonderful responses!
Since this will be my first chow, I'd prefer to start with a puppy but I do visit shelters when I have time, but haven't had any luck with chows yet.

And I agree, I also would like to see the health and temperament of both the pup and his parents. The closest breeder seems to be ikeemconerlychows in Syracuse so hopefully I can make a visit when a new litter is born.
northwoodschowchow1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by northwoodschowchow1 »

HELLO EVERYONE! TODAY IS JUNE 1ST 2012. WE BOUGHT OUR BELLA FROM EMILY DOWN AT HEAVENLY CHOWS. WE DROVE DOWN FROM MINNESOTA AND PICKED HER UP. I CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT HOW IMPRESSED I WAS WITH THE LIVING CONDITIONS OF THESE DOGS. EACH DOG HAS THEIR OWN RUN, IT IS VERY VERY CLEAN, AND EACH RUN IS ATTATCHED TO THE BUILDING AND EACH DOG HAS ITS OWN PRIVATE DOOR TO THE INSIDE THAT IS AIRCONDITIONED AND HEATED. SHE LIVES IN THE COUNTRY AND IT TRULY IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE. I SAW ALL OF HER DOGS, TOOK VIDEO AND PICTURES OF THEM ALL SO WE WOULD HAVE MEMORIES OF PICKING BELLA UP! SHE WAS SOOO KIND AND WELCOMING, SHE WOULD INVITE EVERYONE TO STOP AND SEE THE PUPS AND PICK THEM UP, ITS NOT THAT YOU CANT GO THERE TO SEE THE PLACE, BUT OBVIOUSLY IF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE IT SHIPPED BY AIR, YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO NOT TO VISIT HER KENNELS! IF YOU GO TO HER WEBSITE AND CLICK ON TESTIMONIALS YOU WILL SEE OUR BELLA AT THE TOP, FOLLOWED BY MANY MANY HAPPY CHOW CHOW OWNERS THAT HAVE PURCHASED PUPS FROM HER. SHE HAD OUR DOG CURRENT ON ALL VACCINATIONS, AND MICROCHIPPED! BELLA IS A VERY SOCIAL AND WELL BEHAVED CHOW, AND IF YOU READ PEOPLES COMMENTS ON HER WEBPAGE, YOU WILL SEE THAT ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT FROM HER AGREE THAT SHE MUST SHOWER THEM WITH LOVE AND AFFECTION FROM DAY ONE BECAUSE THEY ARE REALLY GOOD PUPS! WE GOT TO SEE SAM AND CILLA ~ BELLAS PARENTS, AND I TOOK VIDEO AND PICS OF THEM BOTH.

WE ARE PLANNING TO BUY ANOTHER CHOW PUP FROM HER FROM SUEKI AND OZZYS LITTER SOME TIME IN THE FUTURE, SUEKI TRULY LOOKS LIKE A LION!!

IF YOU GO TO HER PLACE TO PICK UP YOUR PUPPY, THERE IS A TOWN NOT TOO FAR CALLED SEDELIA,MO THE HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS IS AWESOME! BOOK IT ONLINE DIRECTLY FROM THEIR WEBSITE AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A DISCOUNT FOR DOING SO, AND NEXT DOOR IS THE BEST STEAKHOUSE "COLTONS"....WE HAVE ACTUALLY THOUGHT ABOUT FLYING DOWN MID-JUNE JUST TO EAT THERE AGAIN AND STAY FOR THE TOWN FESTIVAL!!

I READ ALOT OF THE COMMENTS LISTED HERE AND AM DISAPPOINTED THAT PEOPLE JUMP TO CRITICIZE EMILY WHEN THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN TO HER KENNEL! AND THE PERSON THAT WENT ON AND ON ABOUT HER IN A NEGATIVE RESPONSE ONLY TO SOMEONES QUESTION SHOULDNT EVEN BE COMMENTING! THEY ARE JUDGING HER WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING ANY FACTS ABOUT HER BUSINESS!!

WE ARE "THE SPLINTERS" FROM JORDAN, MINNESOTA AND WE CANT SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT HEAVENLY CHOW CHOWS OR THE PUPPIES THAT THEY HAVE THERE! WE HAVE NOTHING BUT RESPECT FOR EMILY AND WERE VERY VERY IMPRESSED WITH HER SET UP DOWN THERE.

BELLA HAS NO MEDICAL PROBLEMS, NO HIP PROBLEMS, NO ELBOW PROBLEMS, HER EYES ARE FINE, SHE IS A HAPPY WELL ROUNDED PUPPY!

I RESCUE AND FOSTER CATS & DOGS UP HERE IN MINNESOTA AND I KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR WITH ANIMALS AND I GIVE YOU MY WORD THAT HEAVENLY CHOWS IS A VERY GOOD DOG BREEDER THAT CARES VERY MUCH ABOUT THEIR DOGS, THEY ARE VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OF, ACTUALLY SPOILED! AND I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THEM TO YOU ! ....FEEL FREE TO GO TO HER PLACE, YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED!!

SINCERELY,
THE SPLINTERS :)
chowadmin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by chowadmin »

northwoodschowchow1, welcome to the ChowChow.org forums. In the future it's better to not write in all CAPS as it makes it difficult to read and can often feel like shouting. Thanks.
Best regards,

ChowChow.org Administrator

Join the ChowChow.org Facebook Fan Page and follow on Twitter @chowchoworg
MiMiRuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MiMiRuss »

Hello,
From what I have read on here you are looking for a healthy chow chow with a good temperment for a pet, not a breeding dog and not a show dog. SHeavenly Chows is what you are looking for! They are wonderful dogs and emily is an extremely concerned breeder. I purchased two chows at the same time from Emily and due to my location was not able too see them in person until they were delivered to the airport. Because I live in Virginia and could not see the puppies in person I spent the better part of two hours talking with Emily before I made my purchase. As a previous chow chow owner who wanted one of these majestic dogs for a FAMILY addition I was adamant that the puppy have an even temperment. Emily answered all of my questions honestly and openly. I felt very comfortable purchasing from her, so much so that I decided to buy two! My two angels, both males (one cream one red) have been everything we could have asked for and more! We have had such a wonderful experience with them we are patiently waiting for the next black male puppy she has to complete our family. I would not purchase another puppy from anyone else!You can be confident that your new puppy will be healthy and happy!
Mary