Concern vs. Overreacting

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Concern vs. Overreacting

Post by PCC »

I went to Home Depot yesterday; I wasn't in there for more than 10 minutes. It was closer to five if anything, because I knew exactly what I was going to buy. Dim Sum was in the car. The temp was less than 70º, it was slightly overcast and slightly humid, and I had all four windows open half way; it couldn't have been more than a degree or two warmer inside the car with the windows opened so far. But when I came back out, the woman in the car parked next to mine said, "Do you know you could have killed your dog?" I didn't know quite what to say so I think I said something like "Uh, yes, I know." She said some other stuff; I know my answers were rather curt.

I get that dogs have died because people have been careless, and she said she was just expressing her concern since he has such a heavy coat, but I still felt a bit offended since her tone was rather condescending.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Concern vs. Overreacting

Post by Rio »

Some people do have a problem expressing themselves in a manner fit for human conversation and wonder why they sometimes get a quick slap in the face! I am sure as a dog owner you would know the difference between leaving a dog in a car and leeeeeeaaaaaaving a dog in the car, if you had been sat in the car also would it still have been a problem? Answer is no, she obviously just likes to point out the blatently obvious. The very fact you took your dog out with you rather than leaving at home in hot weather has to say something about your attitude towards your four-legged partner, I guess some people just like to put others down as a hobby. I bet 10 minutes after the incident you had thought of a million better responses than "Uh, yes, I know" LOL
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

If that lady looks younger than your age and her tone is condescending, then you have the right to feel offended even if A GRIN and A SORRY look from you coupled with: "Sorry I was just gone 10 minutes to pick this. Yes I know, thank you for your concern." would have prevented some more verbal exchange between the two of you. hope you wont be offended by this remark. i'm 35. hehehe
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Rio wrote:I bet 10 minutes after the incident you had thought of a million better responses than "Uh, yes, I know" LOL
I said that because I didn't really know what she meant. My initial thought was about how having the windows open so far that he could kill someone, not that he get killed. It was only after that when she told me about what I already know.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Cam Atis wrote:"Sorry I was just gone 10 minutes to pick this. Yes I know, thank you for your concern." would have prevented some more verbal exchange between the two of you.
Mind you, there was nothing close to arguing. I was just irritated with her tone. Was she younger? Yeah, probably. I am 50.

It's 50º outside now...I shouldn't have to worry about anyone hassling me today. :lol:
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Happy shopping :)
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

It is a dangerous business, leaving your dog in the car when it's hot. What if you had been held up in the store? You read about people all the time who got sidetracked by something/someone and simply forgot they had a dog in the car, with deadly consequences for the dog. The woman didn't know that you were only gone ten minutes!
Leaving windows open: a bored chow can easily squeeze through them. Happened to me. Tiny crack, big dog, Loo gone. :shock: I won't make that mistake again!
it couldn't have been more than a degree or two warmer inside the car with the windows opened so far
Cars heat up really quickly (usually compared to an oven), whether the windows are open or not! And yes, Chows don't deal well with heat. I would be really careful, if I were you, I know I am. In the spring/summer, it's better to just take the dog home quickly and then head out to the stores again. Or take her inside the store with you, where it's allowed.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

No kidding! Then you hve every right to feel slighted. :-) and if I am that lady I wouldn't bother to comment as status quo. (And all the while i thought you are younger than me) hehehe. Sorry. Tell my regards to Dim Sum
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

There are so many stories of cooked dogs in cars, and even though YOU knew the time frame, certainly, the woman did not. She was looking out for the welfare of your Chow, and even if she over-reacted, it was out of concern for him.

Should this ever occur again, tell the concerned bystander you are very aware, and you were in the store for a quick trip. Then thank them for being an advocate for the animal, because surely as I write this, there will be an incident where an animal dies because a bystander was scared to act.
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

I agree with AuddyMay, because tragedy happens all the time in reguards to pets and hot cars I would have just thanked her for her concern and said the world needs more people like you and then left it at that.

I take my dogs when I deem the weather safe and I'm only going to be a quick minute , but I have to think what I would do if I saw an unattended dog in a car. I can't really fault someone for looking out for my pets.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

On the "concerned" side of the fence. Last summer I pulled into a parking space at a local grocery store. When I got out of my car I noticed a little "yappy" dog on the seat in the car beside mine. I'm one of those people who can't resist talking to dogs, especially when they are in a car. It was a very warm day and I was in to store for a short time. When I came back out the car was still there and I glanced in and saw the dog on the floor of the car panting really heavy. I went back into the store with a description of the car and asked to have the owner paged. I went back out to my car and waited for the owner to come out. I waited another 5 minutes and then went back into the store to have the owner paged again. The owners came over the the customer service window as I was making my second request. I guess they thought I had hit their car and seemed relieved when they found out I was concerned about his dog. The man said they had only planned to be in the store a few minutes but had run into an old friend and lost track of time while they were catching up. The wife said the dog would be OK and that they take the dog out all the time no matter what the temperature is. We walked out to the car and the dog laying on the floor barely moving. My heart went to my throat. He grabbed his cell phone and called the vet and was told to bring the dog right in. "Luckily the vet was about a mile away. He then thanked me for my concern and the wife gave me a dirty look and called me a nosey busybody. Oh well, I guess someone has to be now and then. I then got into my car and said a little prayer for the poor little dog.
Sometimes you wonder about people.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I take the dogs out a lot. I will run the AC for them, where as, I would drive without it, leaving the windows closed and the air vents and fan on if I am the only one in the van. I have taken my two into Home Depot. I know what the sign says. If I could not take them in, I would not purchase anything there that day. I plan my trips so that I only stop where I can let the dogs out with me. I will admit to all that I don't know a thing about snow, but I have lots of experience with heat and humidity. I would write this off as one of those things where no damage was done.
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

I agree with audymay 100%.
You may have known what you were doing, but the baystander didnt... and at the end of the day, we're all animal lovers so both she and you were on the same page. There arent many of us around, so it best if we all stick together. She was just looking out for your fuzz-ball.
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Have to say I agree with Auddymay. Every summer we hear stories of dogs being left in cars and overheating. Like Ursa's daddy I plan my trips and only take Cocoa with me if I am going to dog friendly places.