Peeing. Marking? Advice appreciated from experienced owners

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Paddington
Rank 0
Rank 0

Peeing. Marking? Advice appreciated from experienced owners

Post by Paddington »

Hi. We have our first Chow... A 9 week old pup Paddington.

He's great...very clean, won't poo in his cage, only pees in it occasionally.
Anyway, he is constantly peeing (small amounts) when out of his cage. We take him straight outside first before he eats or has play time indoors... But 9 times out of 10 he will always pee a little bit when back indoors. We used to take him back outside immediately...but that hasn't worked. I'm thinking we should put him straight back in his crate when he does it as he doesn't like being put away when we are in the house and may equate this to a bad thing.

Any advice Chow experts please?
Is it a time served thing?
Will only neutering resolve it?
Or are there other suggestions?

We only want to give him the right training and not confuse or distress him by experimenting with too many theories.

Many thanks all!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Peeing. Marking? Advice appreciated from experienced own

Post by Cam Atis »

Hi. Noticed no one posts here. Think you're asking it wrong. well FYI, male pups DO NOT mark their territories until they are past their adolescence. My male dogs (dals, mini pin mix) have not marked until they are 1year and a half. Blue (mini pin mix) when he turned 2years Of age. Also I find it HARD to believe your male pup can hold it that long. He might be peeing out of nervousness OR because he got some kidney trouble. Have him checked. lastly, the smell of of an adult male is really UGGHH!! than the normal odor of stale pee. Marking is a dog thing, not pups. Is that your first pup?
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

At 9 weeks, your puppy may not have full control. My male was about three months when I got him from the shelter. The first time i was introduced to him, he peed on the floor. The first day I had him, I took him around to show him off, and spent a lot of time mopping up after him. The next morning, he made a little noise, and I took my time getting to the door, so he peed on the floor. After that, I had an idea when he had to go, and if he gave the slightest indication, we would go outside. Chows are real good, so your puppy probably just hasn't gotten good control yet. He will is a short while.
Paddington
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Paddington »

Thanks for the feedback...was beginning to think nobody was out there!

Since we posted, things have got much better. He won't pee all night in the crate and in the house only seems to have an accident if he gets too excited OR sometimes if me and my wife are talking, stood up and ignoring him! (rare...but it has happened)

The joy of a Chow is certainly their characters...and the constant challenge of fixing one behaviour...then for another to appear! So the current focus is nipping and biting legs!!!!! Here we go!!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

You do not want a dog that nips. If he nips you make a high pitch yelps, which he will understand as an indication that the nip hurt, and tell him NO. You can reinforce your displeasure by crossing your arms, make a sad face and look away from him. These are visual cues that he should understand.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I read a dog expert recommend that all nipping must stop at 14 weeks. Then I think it is Victory who said nipping must stop at 12weeks (for chows I guess) , else it could escalate to real biting. So I am starting my Cassie with praising when she does not nip, is now progressing with her nipping as observed today's behaviour. I dont let her play with her new dog friends 4x a day anymore as like last week coz it made her nip harder coz they play so much. I am afraid Cassie - being a purebreed, might be predisposed to biting humas and dogs alike. Since the breed has an aggressiom factor to be noted since they are guard / herding dog. I dont want to so much tame the guarding instinct but I sure does not want the herding insticnt to be more pronounced as she grows. Her job is to guard. She'd be 14wks this March11