Edit:Sophie passed away, was worried, but new puppy chosen!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Edit:Sophie passed away, was worried, but new puppy chosen!

Post by Penelope »

EDIT: Thanks everyone! I'm getting the puppy posted later on the thread Diva (to be renamed)! She comes Tuesday! :D

Hello all,

I lost Sophie quite suddenly a few months ago, not long after she turned two. She had severe thrombocytopenia which can be caused by many things including a tick bite or from over-vaccinations, which I think is a possibility because of all the shots that were required for international travel (she moved with me to England and then back to America). She had a bone marrow issue that was poisoning her blood, but at the same time she had an immune deficiency. In just a few days after arriving back to the states she became really sick, barely wanting to walk, endless nose bleeds, and the vet didn't think she would make it a week so we put her to sleep. Of course I was devastated, and still am.

It's several months later, and I am on the verge of getting a new puppy, but I was wondering what people's opinions were on getting the same color/same breeder as you had before. (There is no issue with health from the breeder, I'm in touch with other puppies from Sophies litter, and there was no indication that anything was genetic, so that doesn't worry me). It's more that having a new dog that looks REALLY similar to my past dog I've heard can be difficult. I'm not trying to carbon copy Sophie of course, I know the new puppy will be different, but obviously with the same father will look very similar as many cream chows do. So I guess I'm wondering if I should purposely seek out a red or cinnamon chow so it would seem more different. Has anyone gone through this?

In memory of Sophie here is a video of her playing with a cat (such a sweet dog!), and a couple photos attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66lW97R-UfE

Last edited by Penelope on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
kingalls

Re: Sophie has passed away, worried about choosing a replace

Post by kingalls »

Go with your heart...even if your new Chowling looks like your beautiful Sophie, the personality will be it's own.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Each precious Chow has their own wonderful Chowie personality. Just get the one that you want!

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Iam so sorry to hear about Sophie, her story sounds a little like Nikkis, I am hoping to get a chow pup from the same Dad as. Nikki. her Mom is retired now. The breeder actually emailed me about a pup that looked just like Nikki ( half sister) and I would have taken her but the timing was just not right yet. I had another chow before Nikki that was same color but totally different personalities. Nikkis nasal cancer too was possibly from vaccines or environment not a genetic thing either and caused uncontrolled nose bleeds.
You will know when you find the right one...
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am so sorry to read about Sophie. She was so beautiful. Strangely I was thinking about her the other night and wondering if you were still here in the UK and how to find you on Fb. You will always miss her but maybe a puppy will fill the empty hole she left behind her a bit.

Personally I think that any chow will sometimes remind you of Sophie just because they do similar little quirky things but to be honest the puppy will as it grows develope its own personality and eventually get just a deep in your heart as any other dog would what ever the breed. It sounds to me as if your heart is with the cream from the same breeder so follow your heart and who knows perhaps Sophie is giving you a little push in that direction from the rainbow bridge.

I thought when I got Izzie I could never love her as much as Bramble but you know she is so different from Bramble they take up completely different bits of my heart and I realise there is room in there for a few more :)
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Dear, dear Penelope. So sorry to hear about Sophie. She was absolutely GORGEOUS and reminds me a lot of Kimba (pictured below). We lost her this June and at first, because Kimba and Rocky were Joe's dogs, Joe was not ready for ANY dog. I promised him I wouldn't push and would wait until his heart was ready. Boy! Did that hurt. It was hard to wait but I did and not too very long afterward, Joe said we could start looking at local shelters. None of them really spoke to us or chose us and then WHAM! A breeder in the north contacted us. KarenMarie had shared a picture of her blue chow and I was hooked on that color. Max was a cinnamon. We had both agreed early on that we didn't want another cream chow chow unless it was a girl. So, when Leo and Max became available ... there was no question that we wanted them.

All of that said to say this ... I believe it is soooo true that your next Chow Chow will choose you. Just like reddog (Karen's) Whitby chose her. Timing all worked out and I hear they're doing GREAT! So, just like Kingalls said, Go with your heart! And, just like Siriol says, your new chow pup will do things that remind you of Sophie, so in that way you'll always have her near. It is the same way with our boys who do soooo many things like Kimba did. Happy sighs of moments past are the result.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

That video is darling! :D I wish my cat and dog played together. Well, sometimes the cat hits Loo and Loo walks away. Not quite the same thing! :D

I didn't really understand your post: do you want a dog that is like Sophie, or that is unlike Sophie?

My input: people's memories aren't that great. If you get a new dog that looks like your old dog, you'll find it hard to remember what your old dog looked like in certain situations. Like when you see your new dog eat, that replaces the memory of your old dog eating, because they are too similar. That is scary, when you can't see (remember) your darling any more. My take is, your new dog is not going to be as perfect as Sophie anyway, so you might as well get one who doesn't look like her. You will learn to love and appreciate your new dog, but he/she is going to be so different from Sophie. If you really want to replace her, as in find a dog with the same character (and maybe even appearance), I suggest you rescue an adult Chow with a character similar to Sophie's.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Love the video of your cat and dog. I wish I had a video of Malachi and China.
Do what you think feels right. Personalities will be different. Even if you do as Sarahloo says and get an adult with similar character, the dogs will not be exactly the same. Bottom line is that you will development the same love for your new dog, but things will always be just a little different. I am sorry to hear of your loss and hope you find another chow.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I worried about the same things. We had two creams that we lost within about 6 months of each other. They were 13 and 9, and had completely different health issues. My wife and I were very much headed towards not having new dogs. My daughter is 14 and asked us out of the blue, who is going to protect me (she comes home to an empty house for about 2 hours after school). This got me going like no tomorrow. We looked at other breeds and obviously came to the conclusion that we could only go with another Chow. We located a local breeder, whom we had not dealt with previously and they had a litter of reds. Not my first choice, but after looking at the stock, decided they were very beautiful dogs.

Next, we met the parents and the breeders to see if we felt they were a good fit (and both did the same with us). The dog literally chose us. I am still preferential to the look of the cream, but Rory is such a sweet, smart pup. He's a bit on the lazy side for a Chow, but at this time that suits us. He is very protective of my daughter and the house, but tolerates a teen girls friends.

Bottom line, it is difficult to 'replace', but dont look at it that way. Other posters have mentioned the unique personalities of each dog, and that is very accurate. The look of the pup may remind you of Sophie, but he/she will quickly make new memories.
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

Thank you everyone for reassuring me! I never realized before this how devastating losing a dog can be, I was spontaneously crying for over a month. And then after about three months all I could think about was getting another chow. I had a good couple days of anxiety after googling this question and found the majority answer to be: do not get a similar looking dog or even the same breed! Obviously I of course was going to get another chow anyway though, and in the end I do think it is actually a really nice thing that this new puppy is actually Sophie's half sister!

Here are a couple photos taken today of the puppy I decided to get, she is just over 9 weeks, and I should get her in a few days! I'm playing around with the name Sasha, but I'll have to have her a little while to know for sure :)

Image Image
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, she's gorgeous such a little fluffer, I can't wait to hear all the stories and her for sure name...It been almost 3months since Nikki passed and I still cry too but it's more just tears of remembering happier days with her.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Penelope ... you're KILLING ME!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: Joe and I were going to name our new girl (who never came from a horrible breeder downstate) Sasha Rose. Sasha is the femine of Alexander (and as you can tell ... we love strong names). I love the name Sasha. Soft and sweet just like the beautiful girl in the picture.

Whatever you decide ... she is just lovely!!!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I had a good couple days of anxiety after googling this question and found the majority answer to be: do not get a similar looking dog or even the same breed!
I think those answers came from owners of other breeds, chow owners tend to be as loyal to their breed as the chows are to their owners. Your new puppy is so beautiful, looking forward to seeing pictures of her growing up. Congrats! \:D/
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

So... just when I thought I was all decided, another breeder got back to me, and I may have to go with one of those - they are so SQUISHY faced!! I always sort of wanted one as such! I would pick the girl on the far left :)

Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I like that first puppy, but I am not that keen on the wrinkles. I agree with Cocoa. There is just something about the bond you get with a chow.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

OMG they are all soooo cute! but personally I like the 2nd pic, the first one - diva - but I luv to fat babies! My Chumley was the biggest fluffiest of the litter. Belle is the one with 'little dog' syndrome, lol.

But back to the color thing... no matter what color you get she will do thinks that remind you of Sophie Personally, it brings me a little joy out of a whole lot of saddness. Belvedere (a black) was our first and he died from poisoning at about16 weeks so when we found Leo (a creme/red) it seemed perfect. 14 years later when Leo passed I wanted another but Belle turned out to be more creme than red. When we got Chumley I really wanted a cinnamon but my husband didnt (he picked Chum-Chum). I digress but you will know which one is right for you & the little things she does that remind you of Sasha will put a smile on your face and a warmth in your heart if only for a moment :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Ahh, the tough choices. I prefer the shorter, heavier muzzle, but that is me. All the pics show great looking pups. Hopefully you can meet with them, because i think that will help you decide more than anything. Colors are a decorative choice, as it really has nothing to do with personality. I have had creams in the past, but currently have a fantastic red.

I'll also give the usual warning, be sure on the breeder.
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the far left one in the group photo. When I look at these puppies my internal reaction is: so cute!! When I look at the first puppy my heart breaks a little because I see Sophie in her, I definitely feel strongly about her already without even having have met her! -but I feel like it will be a fresh start with the closed face chow - and I always wanted a smooshed face one :D

Cheerie - there can be two Sashas!!

Rory's Dad - both breeders are long term/reputable in my opinion (Cliburn and Valhalla)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I recognise those pups that is Nikki's breeder... I had a wonderful experience with them. Nikki was a wonderful dog and I will be getting another from them someday soon. I also looked at Diva a few times and almost took the plunge..
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

lol #-o no wonder I like those pups...those are Chumley's half-sisters & brother (same dad, different mom).
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

They are all lovely puppies, and I'm sure you'll figure it out soon. Especially if you do visit with them. Your heart and theirs will know you're meant for each other. I personally think the first puppy is a dream, but I also am not a fan of the wrinkles and squishy faced look lol. But it's all about your prefences and also their personalities. It won't matter what they look like in the end if they've won your heart.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Oh my gosh ... Penelope ... Diva, Diva, Diva!!! Now ... after you look at her, go to Beckihutton and look at Lily! I just LOVE the wrinkles on Lily's muzzle and that's similar to what Diva will look like ... er ... ah ... Sasha.

Regardless ... you've got a big decision to make. I just know the right chow chow will choose you!!! Good luck!!

PS ... my husband would SHOOT me if we got another right now ... but ... there's always next year?!?!!? (shhhhh ... don't tell him!!)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Y'all are just killing me with these pictures. Like someone said here, there is nothing cuter than a chow puppy.
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

The verdict is in!! Diva (soon to be renamed) is arriving Tuesday!!

I do think there is something to not getting a dog that looks just like your old one. The first was too similar, I couldn't separate Sophie out when looking at her (which made me super emotional), whereas Diva, while still a cream chow, doesn't immediately remind me of Sophie in the same way at all.

I'm so excited!

(on the left in group shot)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I missed all the pics till now and reading through it is obvious you are following your heart. The first puppy is uncannilly like Sophie and the squooshie puppies are just gorgeous. I too think they look very like Beckis Lily, and Diva most of all so you can see what she will grow up like.

Hooohooo congratulations and I cant wait to see a million puppy pics of this gorgeous little girl. \:D/

When I got Izzie I wanted a smooshie faced puppy and there are almost none in the UK so I had settled on an open faced puppy when the breeder who bred Judy fox's two girls contacted me almost out of the blue with a puppy. She doesn't normally breed smooshie puppies but this one was from a girl she bought in and there was my smooshie faced baby I longed for. She had people in line for the puppy in front of me but for some reason she wanted me to have Izzie and I wasn't going to argue :D

It is funny how the right puppy finds you and so I say again just follow your heart because every thing is for a reason.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.