Food talk & suggestions

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MartMan86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Food talk & suggestions

Post by MartMan86 »

Hey gang. I've been noticing a little problem with Nadia as of lately, well... it's been ongoing but I overlooked it due to her dry-skin.

We use a special shampoo with oatmeal and a few other things for itching and the dryness once a month. She also gets hot-spots once in a while but I usually just give her the pills I get from the vet, clean the area and it goes away and blame it on my crazy mountain weather in the summer and the furnace running in the winter. But lately I've been seeing posts about food in combination with the grains, wheat, and additives causing itching and hot-spots.

Currently I feed Nadia "Purina: Complete & Balanced". She's grew up ENTIRELY on Purina. Even the breeder had her on Purina puppy chow. If this food is filled with that crap and a major player in the problems, I want to switch her A.S.A.P. I noticed a lot of members had their Chows on "Taste Of The Wild", so I'm guessing it's pretty good? The cost of the food is not an issue, I just want what's best for my Chow, like we all do. Even if the food doesn't help if she has food allergic reactions I feel better knowing she's eating PURE instead of fillers and trash.

Thanks a lot
kingalls

Re: Food talk & suggestions

Post by kingalls »

I would recommend browsing the Best of Nutrition section...I do feed my two Solid Gold Hunden Flocken plus green tripe. For the most part, avoid the food with the fillers, etc. We have not had issues with hot spots since switching to Solid Gold and the raw green tripe. There are a lot of good food options out there - you need to review and get what is readily available to you.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

I too have primarily used Purina foods. For years I used Purina One since this was the best that I could afford. Then they came out with Purina Selects which have no glutens (fillers) and no artifical colors. But Kingalls has the right idea...do some research....go to your local petsmart, etc. and start looking at ingredient labels. I would recommend chosing 2 or 3 different kinds, getting small bags then seeing which Nadia prefers. Just dont change her food all at once. Integrate the new food in with the old in increments until you have phased out the old food otherwise Nadia may end up with an upset tummy.
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

Our ladies have been raised on a raw food diet and we give them a pro-biotic supplement for their immune system and krill oil for their coats. Teddie had hot spots on her tail a couple of times during her first year but nothing since then.