Life just keeps getting harder

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Life just keeps getting harder

Post by Victory »

I got laid off on Nov 7th. I haven't found a new job yet..I'm hoping the new year will be better for that.

Today I find out that my landlord is going to be rennovating my building starting April 1st and then is going to adopt a strict No Dog policy, so I have to move by then. With two chows. Does anyone have a tent I can buy?
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Life just keeps getting harder

Post by Sarahloo »

Victory wrote:and then is going to adopt a strict No Dog policy
Can he do that? He must have given you permission at some point, can he just take it back?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh Iam sorry to hear what you are going through, but do you have a yearly lease? And if so if it's not up in April can they just change the lease while it's still in effect? Just a thought to maybe buy you more time? Iam sure you have looked at all the angles, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway..
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Oh no! Poor you. Sorry I can't help, but I just don't know what to say, except I am so sorry. :(
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Sarahloo wrote:
Victory wrote:and then is going to adopt a strict No Dog policy
Can he do that? He must have given you permission at some point, can he just take it back?
Yeah he can. The previous owner of the building was the one that allowed dogs..this owner has an established policy of no dogs in all his buildings. He allowed me to stay with a grand-father policy, but since he's going to be redoing the building and we have to leave for that, he doesn't have to renew the lease. And the building needs some serious work, we're having nasty sewage issues. So I understand why he's doing it....it's just so big a pain.
Thank you SweetPea!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you can find somewhere for you and your furkids. Life never fails to give you a kick when your down but hopefully something will come along for you job and home wise.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

So sorry to hear that. I don't know what it is like there but I know pet friendly rentals are difficult to find here, I don't understand the rationalization behind not renting to people with pets, they are more likely to be stable tenants and kids can cause just as much, if not more, damage than a dog could. At least you have a few months to look. Good luck.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear Victory - I hope you can get sorted out.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Even though he is renovating, I don't understand why someone would get rid of a sure income to take the chance that he/she can rent the new place. After all, he could just request an additional deposit due to the renovations. In any case, sending you purple prayers that you find a nice place for you and your kids.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Victory, I hope things get better for you. I can identify with the situation a little, since I have not had a full time job since March 27, 2009. My son is now living with us, because he does not have a full time job. The fur kids have been a real source of joy and support. Malachi is concerned and comes to look after me if I am feeling down, and Ursa would do anything to please me. Every day, I keep looking for that sign that the economy is turning around. I don't think it is getting worse, and I am telling myself things are looking up. I certainly hope so. This is the longest economic downturn I have seen in my life, and I will be 63 next month.
I am with Bellachow on renting the place. I have a house in Savannah that I want to keep rented because I cannot sell the place. I am taking a cut in the rent just to have the place rented. When it was empty, it really ate my lunch. I am sure that with the economy the way it is, it may be difficult to find a suitable tenant. Officially, I have a "no large dog" policy, but that is mostly BS to weed out renters that do not appear responsible. The previous owner had Pits, and the back yard has a 6 ft chain link fence. My two dogs weren't hard on the place at all. If he is renovating, that is just more money that he has to recover. Believe me, the taxes and the monthly notes don't stop if the place is not rented. Maybe you can work something out.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Well that sucks eggs. There is one small benefit- you can expand your job search area to places that were previously too far away from home. As for housing, I have no ideas.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Ursa's daddy wrote:Victory, I hope things get better for you. I can identify with the situation a little, since I have not had a full time job since March 27, 2009. My son is now living with us, because he does not have a full time job. The fur kids have been a real source of joy and support. Malachi is concerned and comes to look after me if I am feeling down, and Ursa would do anything to please me. Every day, I keep looking for that sign that the economy is turning around. I don't think it is getting worse, and I am telling myself things are looking up. I certainly hope so. This is the longest economic downturn I have seen in my life, and I will be 63 next month.
I am with Bellachow on renting the place. I have a house in Savannah that I want to keep rented because I cannot sell the place. I am taking a cut in the rent just to have the place rented. When it was empty, it really ate my lunch. I am sure that with the economy the way it is, it may be difficult to find a suitable tenant. Officially, I have a "no large dog" policy, but that is mostly BS to weed out renters that do not appear responsible. The previous owner had Pits, and the back yard has a 6 ft chain link fence. My two dogs weren't hard on the place at all. If he is renovating, that is just more money that he has to recover. Believe me, the taxes and the monthly notes don't stop if the place is not rented. Maybe you can work something out.
I think things are going to be okay. A friend of mine told me Friday when I called and talked to her about all this, that her company is hiring in my area...I'm in IT support/IT projects, she works at a large bank and they are hiring in that area. I have 9 years in IT support for Finance institutions and 4 more for a large corporation. So I think I have a good chance. Also found a building that just might be open to me and the chows, (depending on things like breed restrictions which I hope I don't have to deal with) The complex I'm interested is also just 3 miles from the main campus of the University I attend, (which is really cool) Rent in this complex is cheaper too.

My current land lord really has no other option but to redo this place and it will be uninhabitable during the rennovations, the plumbing is shot. I just had an incident where the toilet really backed up they cleared it but you can still smell sewer in there, (often you can) The kitchen sinks do the same thing, and something upstairs leaks every now and then. It is good for me to leave I think. I just wasn't prepared to do so quite now.

I know what you mean by the economy it looks like it might be improving a little, but this is the worse I've ever seen it too, and I'm 57.
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I hope everything gets to be ok for you Victory - get the job - get a new apartment and things will be fine. :) [-o|
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Good luck Victory, and keep us posted. We'll be keeping you and the chowlings in our thoughts.
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Victory, how are these things turning out for you? The job and the new apartment?

Yvonne
Brandon's Mom - even now that he's at the Bridge.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Oh my heavens! I just found this thanks to Yvonne's bump. If you're still in Minne I hope you find something suitable. I lived in Eden Prairie while I worked at Michigan Athletic Club, now Grand Hotel, so I know how awful finding the right place can be ... and I didn't have dogs then. I enjoyed my time out there and I hope the job/apartment worked out for you. Please, do, let us know!!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Weeeeelllll! I am happy to announce that one of my life issues has been resolved, I have a new apartment to move into with the girl and boy chows. The place I'm moving to is like this place used to be, all breeds accepted, no weight limit, no BSL nonsense. The property manager has a pit mix so knows how it is for those of us with "aggressive" breeds.

My new apartment is in a suburb and it has some nice things, dishwasher, patio, and a huge walkin closet. It's actually a bit larger than my current place. Also outside the patio door is a little strand of grass and then WOODS, with deer and foxes, rabbits and coyotes...My two aren't going to know what hit them. Also across the street from the property is a huge park. I'm very happy about finding this place and getting it.

Now if I can find a fully time job I'll be back to normal. I have another interview tomorrow, so wish me luck.
Thank you SweetPea!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Hooray on the apartment Victory! \:D/ And good luck on the job interview, paws crossed for you.
Karen
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

That is good news on the apartment. I don't know how the economic situation is up there, but my son finally got a full time job :). At least there are a few good things happening.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

great news on the housing side.Iam so glad for you all. I just sat next to a guy on the plane ride down to NC his daughter just got a job finally too he said it was like getting a raise himself with her off his payroll..so hopefully things are getting better, This has been a tough time for many.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Congrats on an apartment with an understanding Landlord and a park across the street ... sounds vaguely familiar?!?? I've been out of work, myself, since May, 2010 and it's rough out there because every interviewer gets upwards of 300 resumes. I am grateful my husband says "We'll make it work" if I don't find a job but I definitely understand how difficult it is out there. Best of luck in your search!!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

How did the interview go?
ImageImageImage
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Chow Chow Mama wrote:How did the interview go?
I think it went well. I'm waiting for them to schedule the technical interview. I also have another interview scheduled for the 28th. It's still tight out there but it does seem to be getting better. I am hoping I get one or the other of these two, they both sound good.

Also today I lined up a moving company, the price for the deposit to hold my slot was low, and they have free boxes! I just have to return all the boxes in 30 days, which is really cool...
Thank you SweetPea!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Victory wrote:
Chow Chow Mama wrote:How did the interview go?
I think it went well.
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Fingers crossed and toes I hope the job goes well too..