Cars and Chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

babyaslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cars and Chows

Post by babyaslan »

I have had an SUV and its been really easy transporting Aslan around town, this week I'm about to get a sedan and I was wondering what the most convenient (as in lightweight) back seat set up would be for him?

What does everyone else do/use?
babyaslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Cars and Chows

Post by babyaslan »

I've noticed in my mom's sedan he really likes sitting in the center console which is really distracting and also dangerous for him.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

While riding in any vehicle, he should be wearing a harness attached to a seatbelt or be in a crate. They have specific seatbelt leashes or you can loop a regular leash through the plugged in seatbelt. And this will also keep him restrained to whatever part of the vehicle you want him in.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I actually have a 2010 honda fit (mine is a hatchback but it comes in sedan) and I found it convenient for Ty getting him used to riding in the car because of its special ability to fold the seat up so there's floor space and height. I have the larger half of the back seat folded up so he can lay on the floor comfortably and I keep the small seat down so he can get fresh air or enjoy the view. He loves car rides and usually lays on the floor quietly. The car is excellent on gas mileage too and is surprisingly roomy for a little car lol
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Boogie and Linda wrote:While riding in any vehicle, he should be wearing a harness attached to a seatbelt or be in a crate. They have specific seatbelt leashes or you can loop a regular leash through the plugged in seatbelt. And this will also keep him restrained to whatever part of the vehicle you want him in.
THIS! I got an SUV for this specific reason(can't put two large crates in a car or truck and they would chew through the seat belt restraints). My 2 ride in their kennels weather we're going 2 minutes away, or 100 miles.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I have a sedan. They ride in the back seat with their seatbelt harnesses. The seat belts go through a strap on the back of the harness and keep them stable. However, they can also release themselves by stepping on the release button. So I also use their leashes threaded through the doors to the front seat and tied to the front passenger seat head rests. It's not perfect and I think I'm going to look for a wagon next time that will allow me to put in kennels.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

You have obviously not had to put a wet muddy chow in your car. Thats why I have a pick-up and restraints.