What's everyone feeding?

An archive of the best and most helpful nutrition, diet and food related topics.
Wollfie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wollfie »

5 cans of Mighty Dog a day -- 2 in the a.m., 3 in the p.m. plus Innova dry food all the time.
mkaiser
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ebony's diet.....

Post by mkaiser »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and a new Chow mommy as well. I rescued "Ebony" (her real name) when I was in New Orleans in October for a couple of weeks of animal rescue. As soon as I figure out how to do it, I'll post her picture.

Since coming north, Ebby has suffered several ear infections. Her vet recommended that she be given Precise lamb and rice or a duck and potato or venison and rice/potato food. Apparently, many Chows are allergic to beef and chicken based kibble. I've also been asked to use dried salmon or dried venison for treats, instead of the beef jerky I'd been giving her. Ebby loves this new diet, and her ears seem to be doing better.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I've got both of my kids on Purina Pro Plan, Salmon and Rice. It's specifically for dogs with sensitive stomachs and/or skin. I feed it to help with Brisco's scratching and it has made his life much nicer. I've read about Nutro but it is not available here and I'm extremely happy with the food i'm feeding, although I did try just about every other good quality food I could find before I came across this. I doubt that I'll ever change, it seems to have made a very big difference.
No matter where you go, there you are.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Her vet recommended that she be given Precise lamb and rice or a duck and potato or venison and rice/potato food. Apparently, many Chows are allergic to beef and chicken based kibble. I've also been asked to use dried salmon or dried venison for treats, instead of the beef jerky I'd been giving her. Ebby loves this new diet, and her ears seem to be doing better

---

What's you've basically done with the diet for Ebby is increase the anti-inflammatory Omega-3's. Animals which feed upon greens/algae (fish), and free-range animals,(lamb, venison, bison, ducks, etc), produce greater amounts of anti-inflammatory omega-3's. Animals kept in feedlots and fed grains have higher Omega-6's (inflammatory). The grains and cheaper oils added to most dog foods are high in Omega-6 too, which can result in an inflammatory response to most anything, and an inability to *counterbalance* with an anti-inflammatory response.

Stress also has an inflammatory effect on the body, increasing the need for Omega-3's and B-complex.
meex18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by meex18 »

I change dog food brands from time to time coz Bruiser doesn't like to stick with one brand lol. He started off with Eukanuba lamb and rice, then Alpo, then Nutro, then Purina, then Trusty, then Richmore, and some others whose names I can't remember at the moment. Right now, his taste buds are on Vitality Lamb and Beef, and Holistic Recipe Lamb and Rice. He's allergic to anything chicken-ish so he's stuck with either beef or lamb and rice.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

As of today, we are compleyely switched over to Nature's Recipe. I didn't ease Pippy into it because she has been eating some of Lily's all along, only the puppy blend :shifty: . While at Petco, we also got some new treats. Now, the only way Lily will get any wheat is if she gets people food. We are also working on that. We used to give pupperoni, but I picked up Nutro's Natural Choice Chicken and rice stiks, which they liked fine. It couldn't hold a candle to the Old West Lamb Cuts, however. I thought Lil would tear the bag open in the store (she was in the cart because she was being a snot to the other dogs in the shop). :twisted: Pretty expensive, but so are the 'cheap' treats.
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

Well you guys convinced me to try Nutro Lamb and Rice. Having 5 dogs, I jumped in with both feet and picked up a 40lb bag at Petco.

OJ ran right to the bag when I brought it home. He still had his full bowl of Purina One Lamb & Rice sitting on the floor. I gave him a small bowl of the Nutro next to his other bowl and he ate it right away! Well down to his "danger" level anyway. You see he has this "thing" where he never eats all the food at once. Must have something to do with going hungry when he was on streets.

Next we tried the kids. For them we replaced their Purina One with the Nutro. Usually when they come back in they look for treats. Not today! They ran for the bowls and ate like crazy! Now I realize it might only be because it's something new and in the days or weeks to come they may get bored and take all day or longer to finish their bowl, but so far they seem to like it!
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Wow, I wish Willow would eat kibble like everyone else.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I don't know sixchows.... it's been 4 weeks now and Koda is still loving the Nutro. He never ate the Purina One as well. LOL I have 2 dogs and jumped right in and bought the 40 pound bag. We are just now at the bottom of the bag, so 40 pounds for a little over 4 weeks lasted longer than the Purina One did. Glad all of your furkids liked the Nutro. They won't eat as much of it as they did the Puurina One because the Nutro is more nutritional and they don't need as much, so don't let that alarm you. What's Willow eat?
Nancy and Tai

willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

She eats a prescription canned diet for her IBD which I add homecooked beef to and sometimes mashed broccoli. On occasion I will homecook a week or so's worth of meals for her. She has a very limited diet due to her being an intestinal nightmare. As for kibble, the only one she somewhat likes is in fact, Nutro MAX Beef and Rice Dinner. She's always been so fussy!
ehlo's daddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ehlo's daddy »

Ehlo eats beneful chicken,beef kibbles.
But what he really likes is steak and chicken :roll:
He loves the "best friends gourmet" biscuits, at least 2 big handfuls each day.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Depending on how much food you are giving them if your Chows are eating all the food at one time I would be careful with that. Pekoe has 2 food bowls one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom at least one always has food in it. she eats half a bowl around noon, before her walk then eats the other half after her late walk around 7 then eats the small bowl about half a cup at 2am she has always been a self feeder so we never had to worry about how much she eats. We do have to be carefull with the treats becouse she won't eat her food if she gets a treat at the wrong time. sometimes she will only eat one bowl during the day and never touch the other. Pekoe averages about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups aday. She keeps her girlish figure around 61 lbs.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow is the same way as Peks, she likes to eat about three small meals a day. Same thing with the treats too!
Moshi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Moshi »

When Moshi was a puppy I fed her the chain store brands and she never ate very much. Mostly Pedigree, Alpo, etc. She shed a lot and was always itching.

A few years ago I switched to Merrick and she gobbles it down. I rotate the flavor daily to keep things fresh. Every so often, she tires of the Merrick and I go to the small cans of Eukanbua with some cottage cheese. She eats that for a few weeks and then is ready to get back on the Merrick. She gets one can of food for dinner and the rest of the day she has a few scoops of dry food in her bowl should she need a snack.

Her coat is thicker and shinier now than when she was a puppy and she rarely itches herself. I am a big time believer in the Merrick canned food and Eukanuba seems OK as well.

For dry food, Moshi prefers Beneful, ProPlan, or Purina ONE. I tried the Merrick dry food, and she barely ate it - go figure.
Moshi the Chow Chow
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow likes Merrick cans too, especially Cowboy Cookout!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

LEO is now on Wellness Puppy Formula kibbles. Abt 3~3.5 cups a day. In the morning I measure abt a cupful each into ziplok bags and feed her on walks, what's left, I put it into her bowl. She doesn't gobble, she eats at her leisurely pace during the day. She used to have a bit of canned food mixed in, but as I started to feed her on walks, its kinda hard.... She also gets little chunks of Natural Balance Lamb or Beef - that big sausage looking packet - as her training treats. Salmon capsuls or Trader Joes Vitamins for dogs can be on the treat menu, too. As for table scraps, she gets our bowls before going to the sink if we have yogurt, at her feeding post, or little bits of lamb or salmon when we have those, but always in her bowl. I can eat sandwiches or a bowl of yogurt on my lap, but she hasn't learned to beg. Hope to keep it that way...
LEO(Leonora) & mum
xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

i'm from china, so my chowhow eats a bit differently

Post by xueshuxin »

he's quite picky and will lose interest in any new food quite soon.

he's slightly over 4 months old and he has been taking the following: rice; mantou(kind of chinese bread, without sugar, salt, or milk; pure wheat actually); royal dog food; pork, chicken, etc., etc.

seems he likes meat the most; however i'm afraid it's not good for him to only eat meat. do you have any recommendation?

i'm a first time chowchow owner and i love him a lot; don't want to see anything usual on him...
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "seems he likes meat the most; however i'm afraid it's not good for him to only eat meat. do you have any recommendation?"

---

You could add some fish and greens, and those would help reduce any inflammation since they are higher in omega-3. Do you have an ingredients list for "Royal Dog Food"? If it's high in carbohydrates, then adding more rice and wheat wouldn't be beneficial. The greatest growth rate occurs in the first six months, and whatever you feed now is building his bones, brain, hormones, muscle, etc.
TigerTiger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TigerTiger »

Tiger is on Nutro -- I had switched him to Pro Plan for about 10 days, saw huge difference in regards to his coat and itchness, so I rushed to purchase a huge bag of Nutro and switched him back right away!
Purple kisses from Tiger xxxxxx

Karen, Pablo & Tiger
europeseko4
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: What's everyone feeding?

Post by europeseko4 »

what do you think about the Hill's Science Plan Canine Puppy Nature's Best M/M?all my friends recommend me this kind of dry food?can gimme an advise please.
stelz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stelz »

I'm thinking of switching over to home cooking for my dog, since my boy tends to have skin problems and every now and then there's some bad news about issues with commercial dog food. There's recipes online, but I was just reading in the articles here that Chows should actually have less meat than other dogs, so I'd like something breed-specific, if anyone here has any experience with this. The article also said that rice is good...should I go with brown rice or white? Thanks in advance. :)
babyaslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by babyaslan »

4 month old chow eats EVANGERS PHEASANT wet food mixed with NOW! PUPPY dry food.

The breeder recommended it and hes tried other brands and protein types but loves Evangers pheasant. Its pretty awesome- just pheasant and water canned- thats it.
Msatt11
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Msatt11 »

i feed my little guy Acana pacifica dog food it contains 3 kinds of fish and is grain and chicken free (most common chow allergies are grain, besides rice and chicken). Very exclusive to what country you are in almost only sold in Canada.
WyattJ1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyattJ1 »

I started Lilu on Wellness Super5Mix Just For Puppy, but have recently switched to Blue Buffalo Longevity for Puppy because the main source of protein comes from menhaden fish meal as opposed to chicken meal. I believe the Wellness was too rich for her and she had loose stools frequently. Everything is going great with the Blue and Lilu really seems to love it. She downs a cup and a quarter (2.5 cups/day) in approximately 3 minutes!
Jeremyjot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Whats everyone feeding

Post by Jeremyjot »

Curious as to what everyone s reading right now

What I am really thinking about is a WBF Book Of The Month

I wish I had more time for reading so when I do I want it to be a great read from front to back. So what would you all recommend?

Lets see if many of you have the same recommendation which would give credence to it being a good read