General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

crickle_22
Rank 1
Rank 1

UPDATE on KodaBear

Post by crickle_22 »

Hello Fourm!!

I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to respond until now... however, I want to fill you all in on the update thus far...

We were schdeduled to meet Koda's adoptive parents this past Monday. They sound like a great couple, they have a big fenced in backyard and patio, all their kids are grown and one who still lives at home who is 24. They had a chow for 14years who just past away recently. They have a lot of chow experience and know soooo much about the breed. They promised they would keep in touch with Koda's progress and life and if I ever wanted to come visit Koda.. I would be more then welcomed. (However, I dont think that will be something I do... I fear it would confuse Koda and re-break my heart)... but just the fact that they know and understand how hard this is on us... makes me feel like they are the right fit.
We had to cancel the meeting on Monday however because for the past little while before Koda went to the vets to get fixed he was bugging with his ears... we got them checked when we went and they told us everything was okay... however... he never stopped bugging with them. Then Thursday night we noticed Koda seemed down and in pain... he kept skaking his head and a foul smell was coming from his ear... when we checked him he had brown stuff all inside, it was beat red and smelled really bad... so we called the Vets to see if they had an emergency number... they didn't answer the phone. Sooo first thing Friday morning we called them and brought him in... they said he had a really bad ear infection and gave us medication that needs to go in his ear twice a day for two weeks. 150.00 for the vist and meds... then we have to bring Koda back for a check up in 2wks. We decided to cancel the meeting Monday because Koda wasn't well and for them to take him and have to administer the medication would ruin the bonding process with Koda... he would associate them with something bad and we want Koda to have the best chance possible at this adoption. Also, I didn't think it would be fair to give them Koda along with vet bills. We don't mind spending the money (the vet gave us payments) as long as Koda is okay. I would worry to much about him if I didn't know he was well before he left us.
With the medication that he has to get in his ears it gets his fur wet and matts it up a little bit around the ears so before we have our next meeting we are taking Koda to the groomers so he is clean, pretty and looking like his normal self!! We didn't want the potential owners to have to worry about any of that in the begining with Koda...we just want them to focus on bonding wtih him... and.. we do love our dog and we want whats best for him.

It's been such a hard few weeks... I feel like we put so much time, love, energy and cost into Koda... and I don't want to see him go... even if it's for the best.. I just hate that we are losing here. I'm going to miss him so much and hope that the hurt will pass... all I ever wanted was a dog to grow with my kids and in our home. I wanted that best friend of the house and I feel like I'm taking my kids best friend from them... they don't understand it, but cried when we took Koda to the vets so I know that when he leaves us... they are going to be heartbroken.. and as a mother.. it just hurts me to know that their little hearts are going to be so hurt. I really hate this.

His groomer apt is on the 30 and Im calling the couple today to let them know that we are free to meet that weekend.. I believe this is going to go well, I believe they will have the right lifestyle for Koda and he is going to love them.. I'm just really going to miss him.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: UPDATE on KodaBear

Post by Cocoa »

Just a thought, could the ear infection irritating him have been what made Koda snap and bite?
Rex343
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rex343 »

Sorry to hear about the ear infection on Koda. Our hopes are with your family and Koda that everything will work out in the end.
crickle_22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by crickle_22 »

Cocoa, Rex343,

I wish I could say 100% that is was... but I don't know forsure and the risk would be too high to wait and see if it was or not. I just don't know. We had to go to my son/nephews birthday party back home where we are from and wanted to see how Koda would do with everyone (muzzle of course)... and seemed okay with them... although some were treating him like he was a mean dog (which he has never been).. it really irritated me, but on the same end of it.. I'm in their home so I have to respect their fears... Koda had the muzzle on only while the kids were awake.. a night he was fine around the adults with it off.. He's not a mean dog.. he just gets irritated moments.. and those are the ones I worry about.

On the other end of things.. he walked around panting a lot, drooling, seeming uneasy ... and this is something we have always done with him.. he has always come with us where ever we go and never had a problem... maybe it was his ear that made him act that way... not sure.

Oscar and I actually thought that we were just going to keep him.. we got really upset and emotional about the thought of him leaving and said that we were just going to give him a chance and see how he does in WIndsor (where were from)... and he seemed just fine.. but NOBODY trusts him there now.. our whole family seems to act as if he is dangerous (same family that has always been around hugging and loving him)... but I can't blame them either... every parent wants to know 100 percent that their children are safe... it was in windsor that Oscar and I said that it's just not fair to Koda... if he didn't have the muzzle he was locked away in a room and I don't want that for him.. he is a social dog with people he knows and the whole weekend he just seemed depressed.

We have to bring him back to the vets for a check up, then to the groomers so that when we meet the adopters he looks great and gets the best chance... their lifestyle is calm, they don't go and travel all the time, their older and have their children grown... I'm afraid that if I try to keep Koda out of selfishness that he might bite, or show signs of me having to really give him up and then he loses the chance to get this awesome home... he will be older and be harder to bond... I just don't want the oppertunity for him to have the best chance pass by me because I want to keep him here... that wouldnt be fair to him.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I really think that Koda was hurting when he nipped, (he didn't bite, he nipped, a warning; a real bite from a chow would have required an emergency room visit if not a hospital stay and reconstruction). Ear infections don't become serious over night. They start mild and if not treated become worse. They cause intense pain and can lead to deafness. Personally I keep opti-cleaner on hand, and at the littlest sign of discomfort, they get their ears cleaned. They hate it, but I've avoided all ear infections for years. Their vet says their ears are very clean and free of any signs of any infections, (ear cleaning is also a part of their grooming, once a month no matter if they have been showing any signs of discomfort or not.)

With chows you have to be proactive against ear infections because their ears have so much fur around and in them. With an average body temp of 101, their ears are really warm, add a small amount of moisture from being out in the rain, the slightest trace of dirt and bacteria and you have an ear infection. Koda isn't mean, or even dangerous I'd say.

The way people react to him now is one of the reasons I don't like using a muzzle in public, people see it and think the dog is going to maul them right then and there. He needs his new home and his second chance before confusion and stress cause him to become too nervous and wary to be easily trusted.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
crickle_22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by crickle_22 »

Victory,

I totally agree with you.. I know he isn't mean to people he knows.. he did act very odd with my babysitter.. growled at her and cornered her in the hallway.. (he knew her too).. but with actual family and people he is around ALL the time he is good... I think when it comes to our home.. he gets more protective... but outside of the house he is good..
I don't believe for a second my dog is dangerous or do I really fear he will hurt.. but the signs of him not liking the kids are showing up more.. maybe because of his ear.. I think so..but I don't know for sure.. but with the way our family treated him when we went down... was sooo hard for us.. and him. We were told he had to wear the muzzle at all times (which with the little ones around I was okay with).. but anytime he would walk near some of them.. the older relatives would jump up and grab them away or tell Koda to go lay down and it caused a few arguments.. Oscar and I got really mad at them. But, they are my in laws and it was their home we were staying at and I can't decide how things go there.. .it's not my place. After we got into an argument.. thigns calmed down a bit.. but if we had to go shopping to grab stuff for the party we had to leave Kdoa in the bedroom.. locked away... and I will not do that again... My mother in law had a bad issue with a dog before where she was attacked and has always been weary of big dogs... She wasn't with Koda until recently.. but.. now that the fear is there.. it's nothing I can change.
I know that this has just been one big mess and I wish that Koda didn't bite my daughter..but he did.. and I can't defend nor explain that to them.. because as I can understand the reasons and see that it wasn't to hurt her... I know that they wont see it that way.. and if I am wrong.. it's a big wrong...

I don't have a choice now.. and I don't want my dog being treated like a monster.. it's just not fair. But the reality is that we travel so much for birthdays and to see my family.. we're very close and to know that Koda doesn't fit with them now... makes it unfair... he needs better, I have a hard time with that.. but.. it is what it is and if I could change it... I would.

His new start is going to be positive.. I tell Oscar that who ever gets him is going to win the doggy lottery... he is well behaved, he is so loyal, he listens fairly well... most of the time.. he is the best dog. They are going to be very lucky to have him.. as we are lucky that he will be able to find a new home... things could have ended worse.. so Im grateful to everyone who helped.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I agree with Victory, no doubt Koda nipped because of the discomfort with his ear. However you must do what you feel is best for you, your family and for Koda. If your relatives are not comfortable around him and you have to keep him muzzled or shut away all the time that isn't really fair to him. Koda is very lucky to have someone who cares so much about him that you realize that maybe your home is not the right fit for him and in spite of how much you love him you are are willing to put his needs first and find him a perfect forever home.
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi
just wanted to say I've been following your sad story and I feel for you all.
Hope it all goes well with the prospective new family.
Hugs. x
crickle_22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by crickle_22 »

Cocoa,

I do wish things were different... but we live in a very small down 3 hours away from our families... however, we are really close with our family and they come ALLLL the time to visit.. seems like someone is always coming here. And when they aren't we are travelling there... so many nieces and nephews, birthday parties, holidays... and the idea of him always being locked up or muzzled isn't fair to him. We noticed on our last trip home that he wasn't really comfortable with it.. maybe the long car ride, or the muzzle, or his ear.. but he was uneasy.. I think he could also pick up on the tention in the house. It's strange though because most of the time Koda is awesome with the kids.. he even did this strange thing of watching them.. like if they left the room at my in laws.. he would check on them and always lay down in the rooms they were in... I felt like he had to know where they were at all times.. and if one of the kids went upstairs (where their not allowed to go alone).. he would bark at the stairs to let us know.. I never saw a dog do that.
Thank you so much though for the support... I'm really happy to know that people can see how much I do love him and that Im trying to think of his best interests along with the safety of my kids... he's such a good boy.

Hugo,

I really appreciate your warm thoughts... I believe that Koda will get everything he deserves... which is only great things. I called his prospective adopters and we are in the process of reschduling... I have an appointment with the vets to get his ear checked again.. and then a trip to the groomers so Koda is a healthy, beautiful boy before he starts his new journey... (he's always happiest after the groomers).. I'll keep you all update before and after he goes... they promised to send me updates on him.. so I'll be filling everyone in when I hear them!!!
Part of me hopes that these couple wks go by slow so that we can enjoy the time left with him.. and another part wishes they could come today... because every day is here makes it harder and harder to let go... I can't grieve him leaving unless he is gone.... because it still doesnt feel real, he still feels like mine.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get the kids to understand... when he went to the vets...they cried the whole day... I'm hoping this isn't as hard as I think it might be...
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

crickle_22 wrote:Cocoa,

I do wish things were different... but we live in a very small down 3 hours away from our families... however, we are really close with our family and they come ALLLL the time to visit.. seems like someone is always coming here. And when they aren't we are travelling there... so many nieces and nephews, birthday parties, holidays... and the idea of him always being locked up or muzzled isn't fair to him. We noticed on our last trip home that he wasn't really comfortable with it.. maybe the long car ride, or the muzzle, or his ear.. but he was uneasy.. I think he could also pick up on the tention in the house. It's strange though because most of the time Koda is awesome with the kids.. he even did this strange thing of watching them.. like if they left the room at my in laws.. he would check on them and always lay down in the rooms they were in... I felt like he had to know where they were at all times.. and if one of the kids went upstairs (where their not allowed to go alone).. he would bark at the stairs to let us know.. I never saw a dog do that.
Thank you so much though for the support... I'm really happy to know that people can see how much I do love him and that Im trying to think of his best interests along with the safety of my kids... he's such a good boy.

umm, his behavior with watching out for the kids is quite normal for a well adjusted chow. They are excellent babysitters and know far more than young children about safety.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
crickle_22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by crickle_22 »

Oh I don't question why he likes to be near the kids... I like that about him. It's just the temper tantrums that he gets with them sometimes that worry me. I know my dog isn't a mean dog and that he just doesn't like to be around kids all the time.. he doesn't mind it some of the time.. but he gets annoyed out of the blue.. it's hard to read him sometimes. :(
July 4th is the day that they are coming to see us... hopefully things go well and everything works out!
My Uncle breeds champion CKC labs and he is also a trainer as well... the things he can do with his dogs are just amazing.. they are just amazing.. and he called me tonight to talk to me about Koda and to reassure me that we are doing the right thing. Even he, with 40 years of training and breeding under his belt tells me that Koda is not fit to be around children all the time.. all the signs are there.. the sad part is following them. :(
Thank you so much for your input!!!!! I will let everyone know how Koda does with this visit... as always, I appreciate the support. :)