from great eater to very picky eater :(

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

r3yisgood
Rank 0
Rank 0

from great eater to very picky eater :(

Post by r3yisgood »

hello,

i bought a chow from breeder, he was at 3 months when i bought him , his name is ninja. and now he's 4 months+ old

the breeder always fed him with hill's science diet, and he liked it very much, he always licked the bowl till very clean.

but recently he doesnt want to eat his DF anymore (happened for 10 days already ) , i tried to switch to another DF , it was acana pacifica and he still doesnt want to eat
(he only eat half bowl, and then left it ) the portion is always the same since he was 3 months , he's not sick, and always a playful dog

and then i boiled chicken breast and he liked it so much, but i worried because he only wants to eat chicken breast (there is no enough vitamin ,omega,etc in chicken breast) so i mixed it with DF. but again he only eat half of it even there is chicken breast in his bowl

my questions are :
1. how do i trained him so he always ate his food till it finish ?
2. i put DF in juicing machine and blend it into powder and then i mix it with chicken breast (is this ok? i'm afraid the vitamin or protein is ruined or not balanced because of this ) , when i did that he ate 3/4 of his bowl.
3. what is the standard weight for 4 months chow? (his father is national champ 2010 )

hope you guys can help, thanks a lot :D
r3yisgood
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: from great eater to very picky eater :(

Post by r3yisgood »

any suggestions?
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Chows are GREAT about self-regulating what they eat. I wouldn't worry about it at all. My Loha has had kibble in his bowl continuously for the entire 4 years of his life and he alone decides when and how much he eats. He is the very picture of athletic health.

Loha's Dad
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Hill's bores dogs very quickly. The taste probably isn't very exciting. After a while, they just don't want to eat it any more.
Dry food is very boring for some dogs. Maybe offer him some good quality canned food to see if he likes that better?
Katjusa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Katjusa »

Loha'sDad wrote:Chows are GREAT about self-regulating what they eat. I wouldn't worry about it at all. My Loha has had kibble in his bowl continuously for the entire 4 years of his life and he alone decides when and how much he eats. He is the very picture of athletic health.

Loha's Dad
That's what my breeder said to me and I thought: "yeah... right. will self-regulate :roll: "
But she sometimes ate very little (even as a really small puppy) but she gained weight normally and was healthy so I dodn't worry. And two weeks ago ahe had a phase of eating A LOT. I was starting to get really worried when she went back to normal ... I guess she needed it. Since then I trust her, though I always keep an eye on the food because she's been spayed (that's an expression for a female right?) and dogs tend to gain weight after that because of hormonal imbalance
r3yisgood
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by r3yisgood »

thanks for your suggestion :D

now he sleeps a lot, after breakfast, pup and play for 10 minutes, he will sleep for 2-3 hours and it happens again after 2nd meal :D

does anyone know chow standard weight at 4 months age?

thank you guys :)