General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sony
Rank 0
Rank 0

question on Chow activity level?

Post by Sony »

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some insight on the activity level of an adult chow. Mine is 3 years old but i just recently adopted her (3 months) and I love that she is quiet and calm at home but is it normal for her to enjoy sleeping alot during the day? When we go for walks or when people come over she is up and active and ready to play/romp. Right after she trots to her bed and naps.

thanks in advance!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: question on Chow activity level?

Post by Victory »

Sounds normal. Has she done zoomies yet? (zoomies are when a chow starts running around the house, rear end close to the ground and they run and run and run, kind of like a cat) Chows can walk or run with you for miles, but in the house if they've had enough exercise, they nap. They aren't really asleep, just half asleep, let something happen and they are at attention in a split second.

As long as her eyes are bright, her coat shiny, her tail bushy and up, and she's happy to go for a nice long walk with you 2-3 times a day, and you see no evidence of stiffness, reluctance to jump up on things or go up and down stairs, then she's being a typical chow.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sony
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sony »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yah she is kinda half asleep, but if someone comes near the door she pops up and looks right away. Or if there is an odd sound/noise we make she ups and checks whats up with tail wagging eyes bright and curious.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Sounds just about right! You might not know where she is but you can bet your bottom dollar she will know exactly where you are and will be napping with one eye open watching and listening. She will know every sound of the household and you will only have to think about getting the biscuit tin and she will know it. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

hello everyone
Yes! it's crazy to see them run "Zoomies and fall asleep in the house with one eye open ... for very long periods.
real cat.
sometimes I was the difilculté them stand up.
We are now compelled to fight then.
Gumby has to stretch like a cat and spooky bites his ears and often run away from me ...
If I lie on the floor they will fight back ....
a +
nb: Thanks "Victory for the definition of zoomies
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

As stated, totally normal. Lots of sleepIng, sorta, explosive energy and love! Depends a lot on you as well, the more energetic the environment the more energy our fur-kids seem to have. Ours get lots of Walsh, runs in the ravines, husky and other dog chasing in the park and of course lots squirrel/chippie/rabbit/bird hunting to keep the day balanced. ;)
Onoku
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Onoku »

ha! I'm glad Saja isn't the only one that does "zoomies"! Sometimes he will sprint back and forth for like 5 minutes, then once he is satisfied just plop right back down on the floor.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

My two are like cats - sleep, sleep, sleep...we often make fun of our "guard dogs" because they are so busy sleeping during the day that they don't realize we have come home...they often look embarassed to find that we have been home for a while before they knew it.
As for activity level, they are always ready and waiting for their walks/runs. They do have their zoomies - Nahkhoe does many more than Shiloh but for the most part the only thing -outside of their daily walks - is the occassional squirrel, possum, or rat that takes a chance in our backyard.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

Hello all
What is great with Chows
It's not them who lives with us.
It is we who live with them
I'm in love with increasingly chows even after so many years with them.
a +
I think I also became a chow
Zoomies at work;
sometimes shows its teeth;
affectionate and distant;
Constantly likes to eat small pieces of good food;
constantly watching the little animals in my hiking forest;
And especially, I like to sleep after a long hiking
Woof Woof ...