Help with chow house training

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

enzothechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help with chow house training

Post by enzothechow »

Ive now had my puppy Enzo for a little over a week, and he having such a hard time learning to poppy outside. We will go on walks for significant distances, and he won't potty then we go inside and he immediately goes to the carpet or rugs, and then poops or pees. I also sternly tell him no, and put him outside and he just thinks im playing with him. When he potties outside i give him treats and praise him. However he just doesn't get that hes supposed to potty outside. Can anyone please help me with this little problem. Thanks all.
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help with chow house training

Post by gumbychow »

Hello Enzothechow
Age it in your chow
The problem may be more complicated depending on the age of the dog.
a +
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Chows usually present very few problems with toilet training. Normally they will come toilet trained from your breeder. There maybe a few accidents when you first get your puppy but that is usually due to you not reading the signs when he/she wants to pee. This could be quiet yelp, sitting by the door, or looking agitated. Our new pup who is 4 months old does not use the toilet whilst on the lead but we only take him for short walks. BTW short walks only for young pups.
If the pup will not wee outside there may be some other problem. It could be the environment, other pets etc.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Puppies are very curious and often if you're walking him a long ways, he's too busy sniffing, and looking and exploring to remember that he has to go potty. A chow, even a little puppy can hold it for hours if something is distracting him. So take him for a very short walk to an area where he's gone before, give him a command like, "go potty" or spend a penny, or something. Don't move from that area until he has done his business, both of them, then praise him a lot, and then take him on a further walk. Also make sure you do this several times a day, whenever he wakes up, when he eats, when he plays hard. All these things will trigger his need to go. Depending on his age, if he's very young, he may need to go every two hours or so, so you only want to take him a short distance have him go and then bring him in. And like Blackbear said a very young puppy shouldn't be walked too far anyway. 3-4 months is the time to walk them further, increasing the distance a little at a time. Puppies are too susceptible to diseases from other dogs, so you want to wait until he has all his puppy shots, and has started on a parasite preventive, to guard against other things he may find. Also he needs time to build those little bones up, and the muscles start to develop.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

Have been through this with 2. Holly was toilet trained within 1 week - all of her own accord. Max was a bit more troublesome. I think boys are in general. Mine don't go the toilet for numbers 2's when out in general (depends on how long the walk is) but I'd suggest he doesn't yet associate his toilet area with outside. So you need to do this for him. You can do something like soak his urine up in a newspaper and then place it in his designated toilet area under some stones. When you come home from a walk leave him outside but stay with him and every time he goes near that area to sniff it just praise him loads. Persevere.

If he does anything in the house stick him out and dont make a fuss. For now Id suggest removing anything rug like.

Hope this helps
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

NIkki will not go potty on walks. She will only go if you stand there in her one area where she likes and then she goes potty and after that she likes to go for a sniffling good walk.. People in the neighbor hood love her cause she walks in the street and never goes on the lawns.. (we don't have sidewalks). But she definitely will go potty in her spot after her walk before entering the house. Its a chow thing.