My chow chow is vomiting

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TeddiH
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow chow is vomiting

Post by TeddiH »

Hi,
Im new to the site. I have a black male chow named Asher he will be 2 in October.
My question is:
Sometimes, only once a month maybe twice he will get sick. He will have diarrhea and will vomit bile. It will only last while it happens and then thats then end of it.
We have tried feeding he differently, more, more often.... We now have a pitty puppy and I am not sure because I have not seen it but I am thinking that maybe she could be eating his food.
Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Any advice would be great! I have talked to my vet about it and she said that if it only happens once in a while then I shouldnt be to concerned unless it get to be more often.
Thanks
Sinniebunnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: My chow chow is vomiting

Post by Sinniebunnie »

maybe something is getting in his food.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

My 3 year old boy Kai also has bouts of slight vomiting and diaherria a few times a month.Its been like that since he was a baby. One thing I've found is this happens when he eats any beef.I have elimated beef but he still has a few bouts from time to time.
In the past I've had 2 male Chows with Irritable Bowel Disease ( IBD) so I'm watching Kai closely for those signs.
Try to see if hes eatten something different when this is happening,mybe a certain treat?
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Your vet is right.
Dogs discover their world through their nose and through their mouth. At any given moment they stumble across all kinds of things and most of the items that give them once-a-month pukes & poops are generally items they find on a walk. There is no much pollution on roads, grasses and sidewalks that virtually anywhere on a walk they can pick up anything and runs through them like a mad river.

It more than likely has nothing to do with food.

Cheers
MM
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Different chows have different sensitivities. My 3 year old LOHA used to vomit/diarhea a couple times a month until I switched him from chicken based kibble to beef based. VERY RARELY does he do that any longer.

Loha's Dad
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samson »

Different chows have different sensitivities. My 3 year old LOHA used to vomit/diarhea a couple times a month until I switched him from chicken based kibble to beef based. VERY RARELY does he do that any longer.

We were owned by a wonderful rescue chow for years who had skin problems, itching, hotspots, etc. After vet visits didn't help the problem, we switched her food to a non-allergenic food with no chicken in it and that solved the problem. :D
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Yes ShenLung has issues with chicken as well and salmon. He does well on bison and beef though, and of course fresh critters.