changing food and adding vitamins...HELP

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow4ever
Rank 0
Rank 0

changing food and adding vitamins...HELP

Post by chow4ever »

Hello, I've had my chow chow, Simba, for two and a half months now. When he was given to us, he was about 4 months old and he was eating Purina Puppy Chow. When I went to the local pet store to buy his food, I was informed that Purina Puppy Chow was equivalent to fast food joints in terms of poor quality so I bought Halo dog food b/c of it's better quality and nutrients it provided. Of course we gradually weened him into the new dog food and he liked it. However, we realized that yes Halo is a great brand, but it is very expensive. The largest bag that was sold in the local pet store was 10 lbs and it cost $27.99 per bag. In order to feed Simba, who happens to be a large breed dog, I had to buy two bags at a time. I'm pretty sure you know where I'm going with this. So recently, after doing further research (which was something I should have done as soon as I decided to change his dog food) I found out that Solid Gold Wolf Cub Lrg Breed Puppy Dog Food is the best recommended dog food for a growing chow puppy. Now, as for my question, is it safe or would it be unwise of me to change his dog food again? I mean, Solid Gold is a bit pricey but I will be paying $56.00 (no tax included) for a 33 lb bag of Solid Gold Dog Food; whereas, as double bag of a Halo 10 lb dog food will cost me the same amount. So, I don't really want to sound cheap and please don't think I'm selfish by not wanting to give Simba the best (I do want to give him the best but w/out a hole in my pocket) but is it safe to change his dog food AGAIN?

Also, vitamins? Can I just give him joint vitamins and vitamin E or should I take him to the vet first and see what the vet says?
Zhuyos mom

Re: changing food and adding vitamins...HELP

Post by Zhuyos mom »

It's okay to change your dog;s food. However, for the first week add some of the Halo with the WolfCub to ease the transition and his poop won't be extaordinarily runny. I give my chows Halo canned on special occasions. It is very expensive.

When your chow is 8-9 months, you can transition him to adult Solid Gold kibble - either WolfKing or Hundchen-Flocken. MMillenium tends to be too beefy for my chows. Remember, chows are actually medium sized breeds not large. Large breeds are more like 100+ lb mastiffs or great danes, irish wolf hounds and rottweillers. So SG's Hundchen Flocken's puppy kibble is good for Simba too. It is probably a liitle lower in cost too.

If you feed him quality food, you really don't need to add supplements unless he shows signs of joint disease early in his life.
chow4ever
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: changing food and adding vitamins...HELP

Post by chow4ever »

Thank you so much zhuyosmom. I really appreciate the advice. I will definitely try them out. ;0)