Holly - Pyometria

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Holly - Pyometria

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

Good evening everyone, just wanted to issue everyone a warning about the above. Having read the literature about spaying every time when I am in the vets, and always saying "I'll get her done after the next season" I'm afraid to say I got caught out by the above - and very nearly lost Holly in the process. I started seeing some signs last weekend (Saturday) in that I noticed she wasn't eating too well and drinking more than normal. Started following her around and a day or 2 later realised she also hadn't been for a number 2. In the past this has been due to a bout of constipation so she was still playing and didn't think to take her the vets yet. Then yesterday morning I noticed her stomach seemed swolen and hard and she grunted a bit when I gently pressed it. So took her the vets - she was in the previous Friday for a check up and booster and was given clean bill of health. Anyway left her in and got a phone call and she had Pyometra. I told the vets to go ahead with the treatment and said I would be in later to speak to them about what they had found. They removed the bits which in total weighed over 4kg, and had to dispose of 3 litres of puss from the uteral infection. The vet said one problem with the breed is that they are so stoic - it's often very difficult to spot these issues early on. So she was in and out in the day, I've got her in tomorrow for a post op and it's approximately a 7 day recovery. Which means no walks (although bless her this morning she wanted to come with me and Max) and plenty of rest. One question I hope someone may be able to help me with (although its all been settled with the vet by myself) is this condition covered in "general" dog insurance? Unfortunately my preivous company decided not to pay out for Max's ACL last year (he had a limp when he was a pump as a result of a jarred knee!!!). Of course the main thing is that she is well and recovering as best she can, but when I spoke to the insurance yesterday they simply told me to submit the claim and they would advise me within 4 weeks.

The main message I wanted to get out there was simply get your dog neutered if you are not going to breed them. I have simply put it off for too long and nearly lost Holly in the process - I wouldn't want anyone to make the same mistake.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Holly - Pyometria

Post by Sirchow »

I am so glad to hear Holly is getting better. My daughter is a vet nurse and they see this condition regularly in bitches - it is a dangerous and life threatening. Holly is very lucky to have you, an owner who noticed these signs before it was too late. I hope she continues to bounce back.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Yes,its great you caught it in time!
My friend lost a 4 year old girl from Pyometria last year,very sad :(
So I can never understand why people don't spay and neuter.
Hope Holly is feeling better soon!
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Glad to hear all was well in the end. It does not pay to procrastinate a spay. Pyo, unforeseen litters, and just the bother of the heat itself should be enough to get er done. Usually, it is the male that goes unfixed.
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

Cheers guys, well after only a few days of recovery have to say she's back to her "You can't stop me from doing what I want" self. Fiance came home last night to find her stuck in between the cushions on the couch - couldn't move her. It's amazing how heavy they can make themselves when they don't want to move. So my fridge is full of different cooked meats just to get her to eat her tablets, crushed seems to be the way ahead. She had a cob on this morning when I walked Max and didn't take her. I'll take her for a little one tomorrow just to give her a leg stretch. So far so good, I knew she'd be okay once back to herself. She's toooooo stubborn to let a major operation get her down!