House Breaking

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Deogie_momanddad
Rank 0
Rank 0

House Breaking

Post by Deogie_momanddad »

Hello, We are the proud new parents of an 11 week old chow chow. We named him Deogie, pronounced D O G, we have had him about 36 hours now and love him more than we thought possible. He is already well trained but we are doing some fine tuning and corrections. Right now there are only a few issues we are having.

1) He is playfully biting when he meets new people. I have read the forum on how to fix this and we are going to give it a try.
2) He dosnt eat very much. The pet store had had him only a week before we adopted him. I bought the same food that they had been feeding him and they said they feed him 1 cup twice a day but once we got him home he has only eaten a little over a cup in the 36 hours. He only takes a bite here and there so we are having trouble gaging when he needs to poop. He isnt acting hungry or anything, he seems content. how do i get him to eat more in one sitting?
3) We dont want to deprive him of water so we leave it out for him to drink as much as he wants when he wants to. The problem is that he has to pee ever 15 minutes. Should we only allow water at certain times, or what? Or is this just a puppy thing that we will deal with untill his bladder grows? We take him out and he will go pee but when we dont get him out in time he only pee's on the puppy pads so we are not correcting him because its ok to use the pads. Any tips or tricks for potty training and house breaking would be GREAT!!

On a positive, bragging, note He only pees on his potty pads, and only once at night. He does not potty in his crate when left alond during the day. He already sits on command, and without it expecting a treat...lol. I have started working with him on "Get down" and "lay down" and he understands the difference. Althought he thinks that "get down" means "sit" cuz instead of just getting down he does the extra step to sitting, trust me im not complaining :D I have aso been working "stay and come" and he is starting to understand them. He is getting alot better walking on the leash and understands that I, mom or dad, is the alpha and goes first so we are doing good with setting ground rules.

From one Chow lover to another, thank you for this group, I will visit often!
Jake, Becki, Chow baby Deogie, and feline brothers Pouncer and Clutz.
Attachments
Deogie.jpg
Deogie.jpg (55.92 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: House Breaking

Post by ccyang »

hi!!!
just wanted to tell u ur deogie is super cute :D
We got Pong when he was only 6 weeks old and he just turned 5 months old, just a lil advice....take as many pics as possible, they grow soooooo fast!!!!! But will always be your baby :lol:
As for the water/peeing issue, we had the same thing with Pong. Everytime he drank, he will pee within 10mins. So I couldn't leave it out for him to drink whenever he wanted. We had to give him water every few hours so we would know when to bring him outside. When we first got him, we had to bring him outside every 3 hours max....even though at night, he would be able to sleep all night. He's now very good at drinking whenever he wants to, and he was resist up to 6 hours sometimes. So i'm very proud of him =D=
Oh!!! about the puppy pads....when we brought Pong to his training classes, the trainer said that if your puppy is already trained to go outside, do not train him also to pee inside with either newspaper or puppy pads. He said this will only confuse him and sometimes, he will stick to the puppy pads instead of doing his needs outside when you do bring him outdoors.
Deogie_momanddad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank you. We are gonna remove the pads soon. I was also wondering how do we correct him? If he uses the bathroom in the house what should we do to fix it?

Poll: how many times a day do you feed your pup and offer water?

Thank you.
atphiladelphia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atphiladelphia »

Hello! Aodrable fuzzy pup you have there... i had two puppies in about a year...here is what we found.

Control the drinking to before you plan on letting him out. however let him drink til he's done...Crate him in the meantime if you feel that you can't let him out right away..it sounds like he aleady know the crate is no pee zone. this way he wont even have the oppurtunity to pee anywhere else (keep the crate empty as in, no blankets or towells). so: Drink...outside OR drink, crate, outside. I never used pee pads and my one puppy was a faster learner than the other so you will still have accidents I am sure of it. i agree with the previous post 3 hours is probably the most you can expect him to hold it now. in about a month you will find he will make it through the night (with an early morning though). At this point 5 hours in the day and 6-8 at night will work . Around 4 months you should be able to let him out every 6 hours without a problem as long as he is a crated pup.

IF they pee on the rug...(This is how we did it). Say NO! firmly, firmly grab thier scruff (not too rough... like a mom) and walk them by the scruff IMMEDIATELY OUTSIDE so they think 'pee outside' and "NO=bad" and "mom is the boss around here". definatly clean it up while they are outside with a NATURES MIRACLE product that blocks the odor. the whole shoving dogs noses in the pee and yelling does NOT work with a chow. Firm and consistent works best.

If you do not catch them in the act, unfortunatly they say you cant punish them...because they will not relate the punishment with the act. just clean it up and make sure you leep an eye on them next time. :)

Good luck, its gets much easier!
  • Ashley & Chow babies, Tucker & Penny!
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

hi again
i agree with the previous post, we did the same thing....althought overall we would be able to bring Pong outside before he actually pees inside....well sometimes, it did happen. We did the same thing: grab by his scruff (just like his mother will do) and say NO firmly and bring him outside. It took a few tries, then now at 5 months, when he needs to go out, he just looks at us and becomes very anxious....so we know there's something going on. I've noticed that even when he was only a few weeks old, if we put him in his crate, he could last like 8h.....its incredible!!!! But make sure there's nothing in the crate though...I once put a bed and a toy so it'll be more comfy, but he peed on it. I guess if there's nothing in it, they dont have a choice but to sleep. The trainer also told us that as a young puppy, whenever he wakes up, drinks, eats or stops playing....you need to bring him outside right away, coz that's when they'll pee :D It's gonna take a few practice, Pong still pees sometimes when we bring him to other people's home....but I dont know if he's just marking his territory, coz he doesn't do that anymore at home.
Anyways, good luck.... :D
samsonite23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by samsonite23 »

Oh my gosh deogie is sooooo cute! how exciting!
I love my Chow!! He is my best friend!! I insured Skye with pet insurance and never regret it since!
SamandGrizz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SamandGrizz »

If you have the opportunity to NOT use puppy pads,, DO IT. Mowgli was paper trained when I adopted him and I live in an apartment so I bought puppy pads. Problem is, now he wont go outside. I'll take him out for a long walk or for over an hour at the dog park and he'll hold it the entire time. Then the second we get home he runs to the spot where his puppy pad is and acts anxious. It's as if he thinks he can ONLY go potty on that pad. We are trying to take him out every 15 minutes, and when he does pee LOTS of praises. Unfortunately there are days where I cannot be consistent with taking him outside more times in an hour so this part of training has proved itself to be quite difficult. So just stick to taking Deogie outside as much as possible, when he squats to start peeing try and direct him to the door, and any time he does pee outside give him lots of praises. Chows are so smart, he'll be trained in no time. :) good luck and have fun! Chow pups are the greatest!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Deogie is a cutie! :inlove: :D
One of my friends has a lab who's registered name is Sir Deogie Luciano of Stafford. Luke for short but that's quite the coincidence. :lol:

All I can say about the potty training is patience patience patience. :) Best of luck!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Deogie_momanddad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hey Sam, I have a chow book that said that if we are using pads then we need to have one outside too o they get used to going outside then remove it once they are used to it outside. the ONLY time i use them is when he is crated in the kitchen when we are not home to take him out and we have one in our bedroom where he sleeps all night just incase but he has not used that sence the first night be brought him home.

Thank you all for the great advice. Things are going very well and we are all learning! \:D/

Becki
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

awwww, deogie is beutiful, he kinda looks like my hannah

Good luck with him
Attachments
23644_331112613527_623138527_3739266_3087570_s.jpg
23644_331112613527_623138527_3739266_3087570_s.jpg (7.45 KiB) Viewed 4092 times