General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zeus & Simba
Rank 0
Rank 0

First post ..a question

Post by Zeus & Simba »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post! I have to say this is a terrific site and i enjoy reading it very much.
I have two beautiful Chows, Zeus and Simba. Zeus is a 19 mth old fawn boy and Simba is a very light cinnimon 15 week old puppy.
They are loved very much and get the best of everything. Our friends think my wife and I are a little strange but they don't have Chows so they don't know how truly wonderful they really are.

I have a quick question please. Simba's coat is very light and she shows dirt much faster then Zeus. I don't like to bath Zeus often and the same can be said for Simba. I have heard about a 'dry bath' to clean the coat. Does anyone know anything about this and what to use etc? Is it safe for their skin?
They always like to be looking their best, that's for sure!

One of my favourite quotes:

“Those of us who know and understand Chow Chows cherish their quiet dignity, proud aloofness and their deep loyalty to those they love. To be loved by a Chow is like no other experience. After that, anything less is just another dog.”

Thanks vey much !

Jason
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: First post ..a question

Post by JasonandNat »

Bathing is not just about dirt. Its to ensure you keep the skin healthy, and helps you notice hotspots and other grooming issues before they get bad and hair issues which you will find lots of postings on. You may not 'like' bathing the little fur kids, but the time is now to get them to accept it. That way you can also make use of a groomer without issue. When summer comes along, or spring for that matter bathing is the only option or you are going to have mud caked fur kids that small like everything they ran through and played in. Yuk! We have a beautiful home, white couches, white floors in the kitchen, nice rugs in the dining room, a Zen garden out back, and we sure don't want to have a large mess every now and again. ;) Bathing takes about an hour total for 2, then towel drying 'Shamwow's' actually suck water right out of the fur kids and if necessary a little blow drying. It's all good.
Zeus & Simba
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zeus & Simba »

Thnaks for your reply.

I think you missed the word "often" in my post as in I don't like to bath them too often.

Zeus gets bathed as often as nessery by a professional groomer. I also groom him to ensure his coat always remains tangle free and in top condition. He has never had a hot spot or any hair issues. His diet is spot on and gets inclusions that are benifical such as fresh sardines. The little one is brushed everyday to get her used to it. She has also been bathed by the groomer already and loved it.'

I was simply asking about the dry bath because it appears a good idea to keep the coat clean between baths because as you would know it is not wise to bath a chow too often.

Oh and by the way I live in southern Australia. We don't get snow here in the city.

Cheers
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

I have bathed my 2 only twice in the their lives - generally when they have been the beach and got salt water/sand in. But I have used a dry shampoo once or twice also. Its much like Johnsons Baby Dry (made by same people). In general I think a good brush should do the trick though, at the moment its a daily occurence with Holly as she is blowing her coat (thankfully they do it at different times). Mine find it too much of an ordeal so I leave them to it. I've read different things about bathing in favour and not. I think that it can't hurt them but you just have to be careful its doesn't harm their coat by stripping the natural oils out. In generaly prevention is better than cure, so I feed them well, give them CLO supplements and their coats are fantastic. Holly is and always will be a grotbag, for such a pretty girl she's a dirty one! But she gets brushed a lot so I don't mind. Think if you wash, so long as its good equipment and they're fully dried I don't see any harm in it tbh. Personal choice (by the Chow!)