Chubaka Is Being A Wuss

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chubaka Is Being A Wuss

Post by Tovya »

My nine year old fifty-five pound macho-chowman, Chuy is allowing himself to be pushed around by a little fifteen pound ball of black fluff! :? Its not that he's afraid to hurt Magda since they play-fight and rough house all the time. She chases after him and bites at the backs of his legs. Sometimes he even yelps. :shock: He lets her take his toys, his Booda bones and he lets her push him out of the water bowl. He would let her take his food but I don't allow that to happen.
How can I help my cinnamon cream puff grow a pair? :roll:

Tovya
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

I know the feeling! At least it's all in the family in your case. Benny, at 60 pounds, defers to George the 6 pound Cockapoo from next door, even in his own food bowl.

I don't think it has much to do with the pair -- Benny was like that even before he lost his.

Maybe Chuy is just being a gentleman and looking out for his smaller friend.
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Chuy actually still has his. :? I understand that he is probably just looking out for his "little sister" but I don't want her to think she's the alpha in the house. She has even been mounting him and he lets her. :shock:
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan always let Nina & Dasher eat from his bowl, drink the water, etc.. but he is definitely the alpha in the household. What we think is that he knows there's more food/water. So when they take from him, he just looks at me as if to say, "I'm being nice. Could you please refill for me? Thank you." He's a very patient sort with the 'lesser beings'. :wink:
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

She may in fact BE the alpha. A lot of human females rule the roost, too. Some of us guys are just pushovers by nature. Unless she pushes him a step too far, there may not be much you can do. They will just have to work it out for themselves. When Lady first moved in with Benny and me, I was worried about her taking over. She even took his favorite bones when she had the same bones for herself. After a few weeks, they reached an understanding. He stands up for himself when he needs to, and doesn't worry about it the rest of the time. When you know your strong, you don't have to keep proving it to everyone.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Chuy is allowing himself to be pushed around by a little fifteen pound ball of black fluff!"
---

Adult dogs allow pups a "grace period" until the pups are around 6 months of age (or whenever their hormones surge). Then the rules of the game can change.
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

Ha my Holly mounts Max. she gets him like a wheel barrow and pops her tongue out! Quite disturbing but funny. Max thinks he's the top dog, but he lacks Holly's killer instinct. He knows she will actually nip him. Max is almost double Hollys size but he is such a wuss, he's afraid of the following -

More than 1 stranger
The butcher shop (?)
Anthing metal (ie shutters)

Loads of stuff really. Maybe he is just another hen pecked male!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

That's the first time I ever heard of a dog being afraid of a butcher shop (well, except maybe in parts of Asia)

My ex-wife's dad was a butcher. Every night when he came home after closing the shop, Toby the Chow next door would chase him from the car to the house. They were never sure whether Toby just didn't like him, or really liked the smell of fresh meat all over him.
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

I'm glad to hear my girl isn't the only one who mounts a male. My husband & I were really begining to wonder if she was confused [-X . The funny part is all 3 of them are fixed. I had my 1st male for 3 years before I got my female. He was king of the mountain, nobody dared to cross his path, until my little black fuzzball entered the house.
I beieve she learned that the assets given to hear could get him to do anything she wanted. If she wanted to play &
he was laying down, she'd back up & put her bum in his face. He'd jump up & start playing w/ her. He was the alpha for the remainder of their 10 years togther... or so he thought ;)
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Ping is certainly the Alpha in our home. It's amazing how much Bear puts up with, but then there are times when he hits his limit and lets out a REALLY loud bark. He gets both of our attention then. :shock: Ping is coming up on a year old and Bear is almost five and weighs almost twice as much at 75 pounds. I'm really lucky that they get along so well and there are no aggression issues with food or toys. My ex-husband should take lessons from Bear!
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

My 110 pound mal used to back away from his water dish when our kitten "Elvis" would stroll up and start drinking out of it. It amazed me that Yukon would back away and stand there until Elvis was done, and that Elvis at just a few pounds didn't think a thing about drinking out of a water dish that had a huge head and mouth over it. Out of our 5 cats though, Elvis ended up being the only one that Yukon really didn't mind around him. So maybe they're not being woosies maybe they're just sharing with their friends.