Chow Chow Training Institute books ?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

bonito

Chow Chow Training Institute books ?

Post by bonito »

asking from australia if anyone can tell us about the membership site of the chow chow training institute? is it worth joining? or can you recommend any other sites for info on training? we are getting our first chow chow and want to learn as mush as poss before arrival in approx 8 weeks.

look forward to your post , or email to stonesinthesun@optusnet.com.au
thank you !
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Hi and welcome! I don't know about the chow chow training institute, but there are quite a few people on this site who could tell you about training. We all believe in positive reinforcement training. There are a few different threads started on training on the site, as a member you can do a search on the word training and see what's out there. Everyone would be happy to answer any questions you might have though. Good luck!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

umm. are you talking about this site?

http://chowchow.dogtraininginstitute.com/

I took a look and I think it's a scam. There may be books being sold, but I have serious doubts about their worth and usefulness. Anyone else heard of this site, or the owner Nancy Richards?

Here's what I'd recommend and I've had five chows over the last 12 years, 3 intact males, not one has bitten anyone or been a pain.

First if you have some experience with training any puppy use it. If you don't I'd go get any decent well written puppy training book and read it, if there is a video get it and watch it.

second: join this site, it's free, and there is a lot and I do mean a lot of good information.

third: and this is the most important, there are some simple things necessary to training a chow. First is consistency, very important, if you don't want them on the couch then they aren't to be on the couch period ever. Second gentle firmness, when teaching a command you may have to repeat it and show them the behavior several times, ignore it when they get it wrong and praise highly and reward when they get it right. And third is respect; Chows aren't like a lot of other dogs they are your partner not a "I-will-please-you-because-I'm-a-dog" slave. Each one has a very distinct personality and what one does another will not do, this is just the way they are.

There are folks on this list who have very highly trained chows and folks who have chows that are lesser trained but all of them are well behaved.

The first thing we'll all want to know is; is a chow the canine for you? Are you looking for a dog that will run and eagerly perform every command you teach them perfectly everytime just cause? If so get a retriever and save yourself and you chow a lot of headache. If you want a partner who will sometimes do what you want but show you a few new tricks themselves, be a loyal and constant companion, love you to death to their last breath but who is independent, intelligent, aloof and self confident, then get a chow.

A chow is a creature that can best be discribed as having the aloof independence and cleanilness of a cat, the tenacity and sensitivity of a bear, (bears are very sensitive to their environments) and the loyality and love of a dog.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Beautifully, put Victory.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
kitcatak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitcatak »

This IS a scam! I joined when I first knew I was getting a chow chow. It isn't really a chow site at all. It is very generic and I have learned 10 times more information from this site! Save your money.

Tracy
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Bonito -

Welcome. Please take heed. I opened the link that Victory provided. Then I looked at their contact number. The business address is in Santa Monica California; however, the phone number is a New York area code. If you google the phone number like I did "1-914-502-2262", you can assess that it is indeed a scam.

Thank you for checking in with us before you became a "victim" of these people's greed. Victory has provided you with some excellent information. I hope you join in on this site. There are a few members from Australia.