'Efe' our baby girl (A few pictures)

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

'Efe' our baby girl (A few pictures)

Post by chowhuskylass »

This is our 'Efe' our 10yr old rescue we have had for nearly 7 years.

Apologies if i have posted them to big used photobucket to link picture rather than attachments

the whole family minus my partner, he was taking the picture
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 'Efe' our baby girl (A few pictures)

Post by LEO's mum »

What a sweet looking girl! And a lovely family photo! Welcome to the forum.

Leonora & mum
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

aww thank you I am super proud of my little fourfooted family we are a great team, 'Efe' has been the best chow experiance for us she is our first chow had her for nearly 7yrs but i have had rescue huskies for 10 plus years now, she is ever so sweet natured, forward going and only a little stubborn but that just makes her more endearing, she loves greeting her many fans and minions, always has a kiss to spare. loves to learn new tricks so far we have, big bear, finish, rollover and the usual sit, lie, bow, when she trains her littl tail does not stop wagging and we are in the process of teaching shut the door, which she does if we stand there but not quite mastered doing it from a distance don't think she ever will, she will probably turn around and tell us to do ourselves before that happens lol, but we dont mind we adore her and hopefully oneday we will rescue another.

a link to her doing a few tricks

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... ks_animals
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Wow what a fabulous pack of furry friends you have and Efe is just beautiful. =D= =D= =D= It is so rare to be able to find a rescue chow in the UK. I looked for months before I went to a breeder for a puppy. A few more pics maybe?
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Mika&Suki
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mika&Suki »

Efe is absolutely gorgeous! I loved the video of her doing tricks! Who says chows can't be trained eh? :wink:

You have a whole family of beautiful fur kids there! I love the husky's too! I've always wondered whether chows and husky's/malamutes would get on well together in a pack, but it seems like they do in your household! I would love a malamute to add to our 'family' one day but worry that they may need more exercise than the chows, or that the chows won't be able to keep up with them? We often take our chows for days out but they can only walk for around 30-45 minutes and then they're goosed and need a rest!

Nicki
Mika & Suki owned by Nicki
Thank you Siriol x
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

I don't see why not lol. I know its a good thing that chows in rescue is rare i was made redundant on christmas eve and we just bought a spaking new insurance policy that wont pay out so any pennies we had saved in the chow fund went on keeping a roof over our fourfoots heads as no matter what my kids are not going anywhere, Now i have work again we shall slowly build up thge fund again but I have always rescued, but would love a puppy, if that does not sound to selfish

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

There is something so precious about those months with a chow baby......maybe you need another :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

Mika&Suki wrote:Efe is absolutely gorgeous! I loved the video of her doing tricks! Who says chows can't be trained eh? :wink:

You have a whole family of beautiful fur kids there! I love the husky's too! I've always wondered whether chows and husky's/malamutes would get on well together in a pack, but it seems like they do in your household! I would love a malamute to add to our 'family' one day but worry that they may need more exercise than the chows, or that the chows won't be able to keep up with them? We often take our chows for days out but they can only walk for around 30-45 minutes and then they're goosed and need a rest!

Nicki
unsure about mals knowing they are slightly more dominant and aloof in nature than the sibes, may get a personality clash but i have no experiance to speak from there.

the huskies and the chow go hand in hand we have never had a fight even when they were entire when they first came here even with all their initial manmade problems (now in the past) we have 3 boys 2 girls all nuetered.

with efe being 10 we cater to her needs and the huskies walk seperately in the morning huskies get an hour and a bit and efe gets the waltz the park checking Pee-mail with daddy or if daddy is unavailable she goes out after i get back with the sibes, she is funny as she knows its her turn squeeks and shreds your shin with her paw but when i get the first set of leads she is usually snoring away and does not move or looks at you like poop,

in a way she has trained us when we walk her but as long as she is happy then i will admit that my chow trained me in that department (but dont tell everyone)

when i get home around 2pm i grab a bite n brew i walk the huskies another 1-2 hours depending the walk location. if its been a rough day we just play in the yard and train for a while, then they all crash out and we wait for martin to get home, efe and martin they are matched in the energy department lol and so we either go play off lead or maybe down the woods or to the park depending on their mood, but evenings we mostly walk together around the park thats a good 30 to 40 mins
when its cool we can do a bit more and if we decide to go to bottom woods efe gets driven there and back lucky chow!!, this is the routine and efe is happy it started out her and flash then as time went on we gained sniff, moved house, then came alaska and badger then cuda in about 12 months i gained 3 sibes, cuda being the last in 07.
sibes being higher energy require more working pace so we do whats needed for happy healthy sibes.

efes goes off lead with my lot and she pleases herself sniffing and noseying around whilst the huskies tear about burning off energy, they adore her she is granny efe to them and they love her.

but only flash my husky i lost to cancer in 07 was allowed to share bed and personal space.
She plays with the huskies and she chow-fu them they cannot match her skills when rough housing and she nips them hard just to remind them she is the Ruler of all dogkind lol they are very gentle and respectful of her.

but then thats the great thing about chows they take or leave it and as much as they love you they can cope without your 24/7 presence well at least for an hour or three lol I also take the huskies out sometime seperatley so efe and alaska may go out together then the boys just to keep things different, plus i feel it helps them remain independant and less clingy as we have no seperation issues here they are loose in the house when i go to work part time, and sleep together at night loose i had a crate but i used to get 3 huskies cramming themselves in it together plus a friend at the time needed it lol so i built raised beds for them to sghare which efe does not use took her over a month to adpopt a piece of vet bed we bought her

we can cuddle and hug her all day long she is a respectful biddable girl who has never growled or offered to, although not a fan of the vets she has alway allowed them to treat her she just pretends they are not there and will show no pain or weakness in front of anyone but us. we thought we nearly lost her twice this year, its been hard for us all and a bit of a reality check, first her back injury which remains an mystery and we avoided surgery and what not there then the operation on her foot, she is a tougie and we just love her.
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

Sirchow wrote:There is something so precious about those months with a chow baby......maybe you need another :lol:

I die a little everytime i see baby chows pictures, what a wonderful privalige to have such a precious life regardless of breed and to nurture them along to happy well adjusted adults,
I have always taken in the broken from those that have wasted/abused that privalige through selfishness and ignorance and usually monetary gain.
My selfish side would love to have a chow puppy, so i can have a story from start until the finish.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Aw...you have the best love story. Anyone who heals little furbabies who needs it does much more than raising one who hasn't been broken. You have the joy of putting them back together again. You are wonderful for that.

Your family is just beautiful - all of them.

Efe is just adorable - what a lucky chow baby.
Mia
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Welcome and Efe looks like a grand ole lady amongst some beautiful huskies. (not to offend your age efe I too am an ole lady to some and theres probably no grand in front of the ole).. :lol:
Wonderful group picture of you all.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Welcome to you and your pack. What a beautiful chow girl you have! I loved the video.

My chows are rescues too. Cinder (my black girl) does a few tricks and loved going to school.

I understand the longing for a chowling (chow puppy) as it has been about 20 years since there was a puppy in my home. I just enjoy the chowlings on this site and often shamelessly beg for more pictures. I certainly wouldn't turn down a rescue puppy if one came up at the right time. (I am limited to two chows in the household unless I want to change husbands).

I have always admired the siberian huskies but I don't think I am up to their energy level. They are beautiful though, love the eyes.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

What a cute video!
How did you teach Efe to roll like that!?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

chowhuskylass wrote:
Sirchow wrote:There is something so precious about those months with a chow baby......maybe you need another :lol:

I die a little everytime i see baby chows pictures, what a wonderful privalige to have such a precious life regardless of breed and to nurture them along to happy well adjusted adults,
I have always taken in the broken from those that have wasted/abused that privalige through selfishness and ignorance and usually monetary gain.
My selfish side would love to have a chow puppy, so i can have a story from start until the finish.
I rescued my chow boy at 8 weeks, he and his litter mates were all turned into a rescue here and I got him. His actual litter mate sister is also on this site, her name is Lilly, my boy is Dreamdancer they are three now....
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Your family is just beautiful!
How lucky that you have all found each other.
You sound like a wonderful,devoted Mom!
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

What a handsme family, they are all so cute, I read somewhere that chows and huskies don't get along, apparently I was wrong

David
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

Coco Chow wrote:What a cute video!
How did you teach Efe to roll like that!?

firstly thank you everyone for the lovely welcome and comments on efe, :D

when we teach tricks we first observe actions the dog performs naturally in his/her daily life and the use those natural behaviors and turn them in to a conditioned action using reward based training and guiding so if your chow can roolover in the grass when playing ect ect then they can do it easily on command with the correct conditioning. Fortunately efe is food motivated most of the time and loves to learn as you can see by her constant wagging in the video.

first we ask for a lie and reward them using food. i guide the food out to the ever so slightly to front but to the side this can make a dog go flat on their side you can encourage this by belly rubbing to so they happy to flat on their side you can reward this if you wish depending how your chow takes to being in a vulnerable position, now take the treat keep it as close to the nose/mouth and take it over the back and if they are happy they will follw and gravity takes over halfway completing the action reward and say rollover and repeat, if your pup gets stuck halfway take the treat a little away from the face but in the same directio as you were going in the first place this streatch to reach the treat will help the body pass the point of balance.

keep it short and sweet and if not sucessful always end the session on something they do easily.

just done a quick video showing the guiding techniques and i cannot describe it very well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa6veu ... a-rollover
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa6vhl ... er_animals
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Awwww. . .she reminds me so much of Willow! Willow is about the same age as her. I think she looks great, all the dogs do.
Lori :D
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Beautiful girl. I love the blacks & the older ones are so special.

Love the tricks as well :D
Thank you Elodie!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Oh thank you so much for the videos!! I didn't exactly understood how you proceed until I saw it (I don't always understand 100% of what I read in English :oops: I must say)!
I'm going to try it with Coco, this is going to be fun. I'll tell you how it works for us.
Thanks again 8) !
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Efe is just beautiful! I have always admired Huskies, so really enjoyed the family picture. Our girl, Molly is from a rescue.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chewfozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewfozz »

what a beautiful, regal lady! Are all of the others huskys? I recently adopted a Malamute so now I have a chow and a Mal :)
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

chewfozz wrote:what a beautiful, regal lady! Are all of the others huskys? I recently adopted a Malamute so now I have a chow and a Mal :)

hi there thank you, yes they are all siberian huskies,

they all get along fine together, I know mika&suki on here would be interested about how your mal and chow chow get along so please keep us updated, and i would love to see a picture or two :wink:
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Efe is beautiful. I have a special place in my heart for the blacks, especially the rescue ones. :)
Jess
Mika&Suki
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mika&Suki »

chowhuskylass wrote:
chewfozz wrote:what a beautiful, regal lady! Are all of the others huskys? I recently adopted a Malamute so now I have a chow and a Mal :)

hi there thank you, yes they are all siberian huskies,

they all get along fine together, I know mika&suki on here would be interested about how your mal and chow chow get along so please keep us updated, and i would love to see a picture or two :wink:
Yes please chewfozz! I'd love to hear how they get on! I have 2 chows and would REALLY love a mal to add to the family!!

Nicki
Mika & Suki owned by Nicki
Thank you Siriol x