FDA Confirms Probe of NUTRO Pet Food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

tabitha
Rank 1
Rank 1

FDA Confirms Probe of NUTRO Pet Food

Post by tabitha »

April 20, 2009

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has confirmed that the
agency is investigating a series of unexplained illnesses and deaths
involving NUTRO pet food. Consumers have been complaining for more than
two years that their pets have become ill after eating NUTRO products;
many have recovered when they were switched to other foods. The company
has steadfastly denied that its food is to blame.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2 ... _foia.html

(see link above for the rest of the article)
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: FDA Confirms Probe of NUTRO Pet Food

Post by Dogdad »

Thanks for the article, my smallest dog Aldo got very sick and I suspected nutro, I switched to natural balance and he no longer was sick. I am now back to nutro but think I will switch back to natural balance

David
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

"NUTRO defends its products and insists its food is safe. Many NUTRO customers also tout the food, saying their pets have had no problems. And veterinarians say several factors can cause gastrointestinal problems in dogs and cats, including changes in diet, newly developed sensitivities to pet foods, and viral infections."

I wonder if they have a testimonial on file from a guy in LA who swears by the stuff...lol. Mine did not have problems, but did not like the food as a whole. Since Lily is small, and does not eat any more than necessary to live, I could not risk her health because she hated her food. Since we switched to Nature's Recipe venison and rice, they are both happy campers. But, I would not hesitate to switch again if they started having problems.
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

wow i took yogi from beneful to nutro ultra and now I gotta switch again??? lol
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Maybe not. But when the company switched hands a year ago or so, things changed. If you do consider switching, and want about the same level of food, try Nature's Recipe Venison and Rice. Mine love it, and so far, no problems. A NOTE: though they love the venison, they both detested the lamb and rice. I had to buy an alternative brand this past winter- I got them Barks at the Moon and then Solid Gold. They LOVED BATM and hated SG, and I think they are also made by the same company. Go figure. They were on lamb and rice with Nutro too- maybe they just don't like lamb.
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

well he loves the nutro ultra. It has like everything in it. Also his treats are lamb flavor so he must like lamb.

how is eukanuba?

http://www.eukanuba.com/EukGlobal/US/en ... sp?id=1034

boss told me to get wellness?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

lightforce18 wrote:how is eukanuba?
bag of garbage
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

i ended up getting him a giant bag of

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 81&cat=all

im gonna keep him on this untill hes off puppy food.
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

I have fed my chows Nutro Lamb and Rice for years now. Never had a problem untill 2 weeks ago when my female bacame very ill. She was vominiting everything food and water. Hardly lifting her head would not eat ect. I took her to the vet and they put her on IV fluids right away and gave her a shot to stop the vomiting. Took blood from her and gave her some meds. Her bloodwork came back that she was enimic, all liver enzymes were highly elevated, her white cell count was high, and a few other ones cant reemeber the names. So they gave her some meds and sent us home. She still would not eat but would drink water. She went for a whole week with not eating . In one week she was at the vets everyday...she was weak, just laid around. It was scary i thought i was losing her. We did e-rays all kinds counld not find anything. Got some soft food and started forcing her to eat ! I have not put her back on the Nutro because of the rumors I've heared! Its very scary thought not knowing what to feed your dogs !
thanks sweetpea
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

yea after reading it I got scared, and quickly switched. I hope this innova stuff is good.
diboraha
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by diboraha »

The FDA is considering regulating salt. Where does the FDA get its power to regulate a natural substance? As you may know, the FDA is considering whether to regulate sodium chloride (salt). Where does the FDA get its power to regulate private businesses (restaurants and other places that sell food with salt as an ingredient)?
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kashmere's Dad »

I've switched Kashmere to Blue Buffalo. I had him on Nutro Max. I have had so many compliments on his coat, and his energy level is amazing. I am loyal to this brand now, and Kashmere loves the taste!
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

I feed my Chow Chows only Wellness brand dog food wet and dry, they also get their snacks and treats from Wellness and they love the stuff.
***** Lobis Cunami *****
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Auddymay wrote:"NUTRO defends its products and insists its food is safe. Many NUTRO customers also tout the food, saying their pets have had no problems. And veterinarians say several factors can cause gastrointestinal problems in dogs and cats, including changes in diet, newly developed sensitivities to pet foods, and viral infections."

I wonder if they have a testimonial on file from a guy in LA who swears by the stuff...lol. Mine did not have problems, but did not like the food as a whole. Since Lily is small, and does not eat any more than necessary to live, I could not risk her health because she hated her food. Since we switched to Nature's Recipe venison and rice, they are both happy campers. But, I would not hesitate to switch again if they started having problems.
What, you guys can't say Jeff's name on here anymore? :lol: This site is really lame, you can't even use @nal on here without it being sensored, that is just completely absurd. How is anybody supposed to figure out what people are talking about in the health section?
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

kiwani wrote:
lightforce18 wrote:how is eukanuba?
bag of garbage
For once, we agree on something. :D
Sam

Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Red Dragon wrote:
Auddymay wrote:"NUTRO defends its products and insists its food is safe. Many NUTRO customers also tout the food, saying their pets have had no problems. And veterinarians say several factors can cause gastrointestinal problems in dogs and cats, including changes in diet, newly developed sensitivities to pet foods, and viral infections."

What, you guys can't say Jeff's name on here anymore? :lol: This site is really lame, you can't even use @nal on here without it being sensored, that is just completely absurd. How is anybody supposed to figure out what people are talking about in the health section?

My suggestion is that you simply stay away from a site you label "lame." Didn't your momma teach you any manners?

Loha's Dad
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

I lost all my manners, can you help me find them?
Sam