Puppy fighting - help

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

shogi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Puppy fighting - help

Post by shogi »

I have three puppy Chows, two males one female. They are 10 weeks old and used to get along and play with each other until last week. About 8 days ago, they were following me and and told them to stay back while i was leaving the house. Well.. that did it. the two males went at at it trying to kill each other, it was bad !. Since then all of the sudden they go after each other. Yesterday they were all sitting in the living room and my wife said to them. " how beautifull the three of you look" ... that did it ! the two males went at each other. the bigger one, 16 pounds drew blood from the smallest one, 13 pounds. Any suggestions ? Thank you much ! They have a yard to play and run around when ever I take them out. We don't hit them or mistreat them in any way. We play with them, hold them, talk to them in a low voice and there is no fighting or noise in my house that can set them off. Any suggestions? thank you !
Zhuyos mom

Re: Puppy fighting - help

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Are they litter mates?
shogi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shogi »

yes, they are litter mates. Thank You.
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Sounds to me like they are trying to establish early on who the Alpha will be. Are they neutered?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

If they are this agressive at ten weeks I think things can only get worse IMO. I would speak to the breeder and see if they have a history of aggression in the family. Were they taken from their mother at a very early age (less than nine weeks) and not taught about bite inhibitor? If you were to leave them to fight to establish alpha do you think that they would really damage each other? It sounded from your post as though they already had drawn blood. If this is the case then I do not see how you can continue to keep them all together. Do you have the strength to keep them seperated always as they get older otherwise I think it may be very hard for you to keep both the dogs as it will be several months till you can have them neutered and by then the pattern of fighting will be well established and neutering will quite likely not change it. I am curious as to why you got three puppies at once it must lead to a very lively house even without the fighting!
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
shogi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shogi »

Thank You all. The pups are not neutered yet, they will be within the next 3 or 4 weeks. I keep them appart from now and my wife and I split the time into holding and playing with all three (males are kept appart for now). We are trying to contact a trainer to help us out. I'll keep you all up todate. Thank YOU !.