General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

FosterandPrincess
Rank 0
Rank 0

Newcomer!

Post by FosterandPrincess »

Greetings all!

My name is Foster, and along with my fiancee and our two kids, I have just entered the wonderful world of chows. Since I'm new around here, I thought I would introduce myself, and tell all of you chow lovers a sad story with a happy ending.

My family lives in a nice development in central PA. We have been talking about getting a dog for a while now, but arguing over the breed. We all wanted a shelter dog, but the kids wanted a toy dog, my fiancee wanted a beagle, and I wanted the dog that would win my heart in the shelter, whatever it may be.

We went on vacation for a week, and when we returned, the neighborhood had a new member. A beautiful chow had taken up residence, sleeping in bushes and eating out of garbage cans. As we talked to the neighbors, the story filled out. Apparently, the chow had been living in the neighborhood for almost 2 weeks. Apparently, someone had driven into the development, and pushed her out of the car, before speeding away. 3 people saw her dropped off, but no one got the owner's license plate number. She would play with the neighborhood kids, and since she was so friendly, some of the people had taken to putting out food for her. She had a fear of adults though, and would run as soon as anyone came near. Two kids in the neighborhood had already taken the chow home, to see if they could keep him. As each parent said no, she was back on the street. We heard that the humane society had been called on her, and would be there in the morning.

Later that evening, the chow was sleeping across the street from our house. I went out with a leash and a box of doggie biscuits, wanting to make sure the dog was ok, and to see if she wanted a drink. Although she ran from me at first, patience and the doggie treats eventually lured her in, until she was eating out of my hand and letting me pet her. She was beautiful, but dirty, with a tagless, too-tight collar. Her fur was matted, and she had a bunch of brambles stuck in her coat, but she looked like she was well taken care of before she was abandoned. Her nails had been recently clipped, and she was so friendly once you got to know her.

I slipped the leash on her, and took her home. The kids were spending the night at their grandmothers, so I figured I'd give the chow a safe place to sleep before she was taken to the humane society the next day. Long story short? We fell in love with her overnight. We gave her a flea bath, and I cut her collar off, as well as the brambles out of her fur. She didn't touch anything in the house. No chewed shoes, no carried socks, nothing. The biggest shock was when she went to the door and barked once, the first noise she had made all night. She was already house trained! I took her for a walk, and I found out she also knew "Sit," "Stay," "heel," and "lie down." When we went to sleep, the dog laid down at the foot of the bed, and went to sleep with us.

When I woke up, I knew I wanted this dog. It turns out, my fiancee had the same thought, and woke me up trying to convince me to keep him. We talked to the person from the humane society when they came, and he checked out the dog. It turns out she is a 5 yr old spayed chow. Over the past week, we've been getting her checkups, her shots and her license. I named her Pygmalion, because she went from streetwalker to a princess, but since the kids are young, we all just call her Princess.

I don't know how to explain how amazing this dog is. She is everything we could have asked for. She's good when we aren't at home, she is great with the kids, in fact, great with all kids. All the neighborhood kids come around to see if they can pet Princess. Our kids are meeting lots of new friends. She doesn't snap, she doesn't bark, she doesn't have accidents, she doesn't jump, she only barks when she needs to go outside, and she sleeps on the foot of our bed and on the floor by us on the couch everynight. All she does is walk around the house with her tail held high. The only negative I can even think to say, is when walking her she will pull a bit if she sees a rabbit or a cat. She is the perfect dog for my family, and I am completely in love with my bear-lion, my Princess.

I have no idea how anyone could throw this dog out of a car like that. How do you go from loving an animal to throwing it away? All I can think is maybe her owner died, and no one could take the dog, so they just ditched her. Or maybe some one moved and couldn't take her with them. No matter what, I could never even imagine just abandoning any animal, let alone a beautiful friendly dog like Princess.

I'll be back with pictures of her after I look around a bit. As for now, I have to take my puppykins for her walkies.

Foster
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Newcomer!

Post by lola chow »

what a lovely story and welcome to the group i have a female chow called lola and we live in the uk :D
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Hi Foster! Welcome! That's a great story. I'm glad y'all kept her.

I have a female purebred named Tippsy and a male mix named Jasper (both pictured in my sig). :D

Jess
Jess
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

What heartwarming Story, It sounds like fate on everyones part. One of the best companions and soulmates was a stray. I am sure she will be yours. Chows are not like other dogs but with understanding of their behavior, they can be the most wonderful of all the breeds. Welcome and please post pictures
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Welcome to the site and the world of Chow! Your life will never be the same but it will be filled with love and companionship and the most amazing animal you could have found that found you. You are wonderful people to give Princess a home. =D= =D= =D=
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Welcome and Iam sure princess is so glad she found you (or you found each other).. I hate to even think about the fact someone dropped her off and left .. but with so much going on in the world maybe they thought someone in your developement would grab her up and give her a better home.. who knows?? But lucky for Princess you were the one.. Makes you stop and think about what is meant to be.
I too am in PA so nice to have more chow people around.
IdahoMike
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IdahoMike »

welcome, great story, lucky dog!! Image
Angus (1995-2008) and Wiley (Jan. 17th, 2008- )
Forever my Chow boys

lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

awesome story glad she got a good home now
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Hi! It's great to have another member from PA! What a wonderful story! Princess is very lucky, and so are you and your family! You will love having a chow. They are the best! I can't wait to see pictures!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Welcome! My Cinder was a stray too. (Cinder is short for Cinderella, so she is a princess too). It takes a special person (family) to adopt a chow. If the chow chooses you, you are a member of an elite group. You will be rewarded many times over with devotion and entertainment. You will also be tested as the chow is likely to be the most stubborn creature in the house. God bless you for rescueing the street urchin and turning her into a princess.

Your Princess could also be an Eliza from the "My Fair Lady" version of the story.

Oh, and we love pictures here. (Hint) :wink:
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Welcome to the forum. I smiled at the thought that you had to try and explain how amazing Princess is...we all feel the same way! That is why we have this site, we all understand that Chows are different than most any other breed. After you read around the site, you will notice similar peculiarities in our chows, too...lol. We look forward to more stories and photos, too.
Mochi_Yoshi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mochi_Yoshi »

Amazing, just amazing. Welcome!
You have to ask yourself "How can you say no to this face....?" Answer: when they chew on your favorite purse...
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

I'm all teary eyed after your story! She found you! What a lucky family you are!

I have a lady Chow, too: Her name is officially "Angel" but we call her "Kitty" to her face. :) Angel's "little" brother is a rescued Greyhound, Ripley.

Can't wait to see pictures of your little lady!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am glad things are working out great for all involved. She sounds like a typical chow. :wink: I have three boy chows. All were strays picked up by shelters. It is so sad to picture any of them alone like that.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

What a wonderful story!!! Can't wait to see pictures!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Welcome and congratulations for rescuing your dear Princess!
When you said the story you were going to tell was sad with a happy ending, and you said you found that beautiful chow on the streets, etc, I was still waiting for the sadest part of the story, I thought something wrong happened to her after you met :roll: . I'm glad I was already on the happy side of the story!!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/