90 Dogs Seized From Lancaster County Home

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 90 Dogs Seized From Lancaster County Home

Post by Lisa_D »

I had called earlier today and left my name but I haven't heard anything back as of yet.

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I live about 40 or so minutes away.. I have some time to donate too .. also supplies if needed?? I just got back from being out of state and don't know much about whats going on if anyone has a specific phone # to contact about the chows please let me know.. I have an extra portable crate and towels and leashes etc.. I'll try the main # at the place and see if I get through.
tabitha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tabitha »

There's a few picture's up now on

The Humane League of Lancaster County site
http://www.humaneleague.com/

and on The Humane Society of Berks County site
http://www.berkshumane.org/adoption/adopt_dogs.asp

HSBC Dog of the Week!
28103 Floyd is a black Chow Chow mix.
He is a neutered male young adult.
Animal Advocates

RAID onb Pendrawgn video

Post by Animal Advocates »

Thank GOD for the Humane League and Society! I have read comments here in which people are talking poorly about these two groups. What would have happened if not for them? More would have perished in the dark, depressing confines of this individual's tiny home! They may not be experts on Chows, but they are experts on what is cruelty and strive to help those animals in need survive it and find new homes.
Thank you to both parties for the unspeakable things they had to witness in order to get these dogs out! Who could live with 2 dead animals in their basement and garage?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms5cclLewYk
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Have you ever met Teri? Have you adopted from her rescue? What do you do to help dogs? I'd like to know more about your background and what makes you think you have the right to judge another human being?!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Ditto CoraP.

We are ALL adocates for chow here, infact the chows are all that really concern me. But Teri is a GREAT person, who needs our support right now.

Where was the Humane League when these dogs needed shelter, medication, food? Oh yes, they called Teri & dumped on her. Those chows are the ones that nobody would save, but Teri, everybody wanted to PTS, but Teri. Don't give me that, don't even go there.
Thank you Elodie!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I also agree CoraP. This is obviously something that was spurred by neighbors and/or a news team. The so-called Humane League doesn't care one bit about these Chows and I seriously doubt that ANY of the pure bloods will be adobted out, because it is well known that pure blood chows almost NEVER pass those stupid temperment tests.

None of those chows in the pictures really looked that bad, none were too skinny, none were that badly matted. We all know here that a chow can look awful in two days if not brushed, and those all looked like that. I wish Terri had asked for help sooner, had sent some of the chows to other chow rescues, or relaxed her adoption rules just a bit so that some of them could have been adopted out side PA.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
SophieSydney
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SophieSydney »

I adopted two dogs from Teri and I know that her heart was in the right place. When I adopted my Sophie she had mange and Teri arranged and paid for monthly veterinary visits until she was better. To me this is not someone who would harm an animal intentionally! I know she had a genuine fear (as do I) of chows being placed in shelters and being profiled as being mean and euthanized for this reason. In the next few weeks I plan on making a trip to the shelter to see how many of these dogs were adopted and how many were euthanized. I am trying to make arrangements to bring one of these chows into my home. I am so surprised by the media coverage on this, I wonder if they will follow up on the outcome? I feel so terribly bad for Teri, I know that this was her life passion! I just wish she would have reached out and ask for help. :cry:
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

You are exactly right, Sophie. I hope you will keep us updated as to what you find out. We adopted our Molly from Teri and I am forever grateful to her. Molly is a super chowgirl!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

This is so very sad...
Sounds to me, Terri has a very tender heart and noble intentions to saving chows from euthanasia.
Getting out of hand and being overwhelmed can happen in a most innocent way. After all, if any of us
had to make the decision as to which chow should go to the gas chamber and which one would get help,
could we be rational about it? Because, her heart was so dedicated, she could never make that decision,
so they all came home with her!
I understand! That is why if I ever started a rescue, you guys better monitor over me, keeping me balanced,
because I would crowd all the lost chows into my home, as well! How do you look into the eyes of a beautiful lost
furry-soul and say, "no"?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I understand too, bama. Who could look into those beautiful eyes and say, "no, you will not be rescued,you're not worth the effort." ? I know I couldn't!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Hi everyone

I was at the shelter for 7 1/2 hours on saturday to help bath and groom the chows that they had left. I worked on 3 (princess, rambo and Hahns) and saw 3 more that were already "groomed" and up for adoption. They were ALL SWEETHEARTS. Kisses and paws and hugs from all of them. I was saddened and shocked over the condition of the 2 males i worked on. Both had clumps of *Censored Word* stuck to their entire body except their heads. Cow chips is all i can think of to describe them, 3 to 4 inches round. Their fur from around their ribs up to their heads was very thin or gone. What was left felt like straw. Rambo's nails were almost 2 inches long, curling up and back towards his paws. The odor was almost unbarable. I am not judging Teri, HS or any one else i am just letting everyone know the conditions i saw first hand.
I was told 3 were PTS,2 for health, 1 for biting. They had 40 left. The rest were returned to the origianl shelters that sent them to teri or the "co" owners. I was told the 2 pups and cream mom in the video belonged to another person that Teri was breeding with.

I don't know how much if any of this is true, what i do know is the chows i saw were in need of help.
Again i am not judging anyone and am not saying what info i was told is true, i am just passing on what i was told.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad you could help out. I'm sure everyone appreciated it. :)
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
tabitha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tabitha »

60 Seized Dogs Now Adopted and Placed With Rescues

http://www.wgal.com/news/19567849/detail.html

Five are still waiting to be adopted.

The Humane League said another 25 have behavioral issues. :cry:

A national chow chow group is providing assistance.

Rambo and Princess pictures are up :)

http://www.humaneleague.com/AdoptableDogs.htm
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Thanks for the update, Tabitha. I wonder what will happen to the 25 with "behavioral issues"?
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

<<Thanks for the update, Tabitha. I wonder what will happen to the 25 with "behavioral issues"?>>

There are some rescue groups trying to get at least some of the chows with "behavioral issues". They have the experience to work with them.

Laura
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (19.09 KiB) Viewed 10891 times
sitze-gou
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sitze-gou »

In regards to Teri and her situation.

Yes, the house was too small for the # of dogs there.

Yes, there was some real problems in regards to sanitation and being able to maintain that many dogs.

Yet,

Teri would take in dogs that no other person would. She would take the behabiour problems, the biters, the anti-social individuals that others would not. Most of the dogs there were mixed chow or spitze type dogs.

Yes, she got in way over her head. Things got way out of hand and her control of the situation declined over time.

But, she at the end did the right thing and readily gave the dogs over to the humane society, notified those immediately whom she co-owned dogs with, and then cooperated with both the co-owners and the authorities for the betterment of the dogs.

I can say this because I was personally involved. I have known Teri for years and she and I co-owned Rubee. If It were not for Jen Stroup I would not have been able to get my girl as quickly as I did. Teri was raided on Tues, Jen had Rubee on Wed, I drove to meet Jen on the following Sunday.

I now have Rubee, Jen has her dogs, and a close friend from Wisconsin drove from there Tuesday and gathered his dogs on Wed. How many are left there I do not know.

Teri may or may not have some problems with obsessive/compulsive disorder that would deny her better judgement. Yet, her heart was in the right place in regards to the dogs, her mental situation may be a different matter in regards to her ability to let go those that she had or she had problems placing those she took in, only time will tell.

Bill Buell
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I agree, Bill. We adopted our Molly from Pendragwn, and I couldn't be happier with her. The whole experience was very positive and I came away from it with tons of admiration for Teri and what she has done. I don't think this one incident should define the person and take away from the many good things she has done. I wish her all the best and will do anything I can to help her out during this difficult time.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
lynrella
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lynrella »

Thanks Chowkidz for going to the shelter and grooming. Just as an update I am fostering Hahn. He will more than likely find his 4ever home with us. He is getting along well with our 2 other chows. He is coming around and will need work. Good thing is that I had him to the vet he does NOT have heartworm and other than needing to gain weight is in good shape. Thanks for helping him.
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Lynrella that is awesome. Hahns was such a sweetie. When i first saw him i thought crap i won't be able to pick him up to get him on the table. Then when i tried i almost thru him over my shoulder he was so dam light.
When i was working on Hahns i thought they said he belonged to the Berks Co HS. Are you from that area?

I got a call over the weekend from the shelter asking if we would foster one of the two female chows they have. Friday i am going to get her.
The chowkidz
ImageImageImage
lynrella
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lynrella »

Yes I am in Pottstown. I didn't know that he came from Berks County HS until after I decide that he was the one was I going to take.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Bless you lynrella. It is nice to know people are rallying around to help these Chows. I really do hope Hahn is in his forever home. Welcome to CC.org! I hope you stay and continue to tell us how things are going with Hahn, and introduce us to your other Chows, too.

Chowkidz, thank you for your efforts, and the unbiased reporting of the situation. It could not have been easy to see those Chows and not want to cast blame. I still feel so bad for Teri, I hope she can sort out what went wrong. I hope someday in the future she is able to be active in some capacity with Chows again, if she wants to be.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am SO happy to hear this! Both bits of news are wonderful to hear. Thank you Lynrella and Chowkidz!! Keep us in the loop! :D
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Pottstown, cool. Maybe we can get our kidz together someday. I work in Reading live in Bernville.
Good luck w/ Hahns and i look forward to some pictures of him and your other 2 furkidz.
The chowkidz
ImageImageImage
SophieSydney
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SophieSydney »

Bill,

I totally agree with you. i've e-mailed Teri and she is so sorry about what happened, she said she hates herself! I told her she did nothing more than not be able to say "no". I know that the chows were her world and I hope she can be active with them again soon. Her heart is bigger than the world and the chows were always number 1 to her. I adopted a female chow and a chow/retriever mix both of which I love more than anything. As I said before when I adopted Sydney(Saint) he was too young to neuter but when he was old enough she had me bring him back and took him to be neutered. When I adopted Sophie(Sissy) she had demodectic mange and she had me meet her every month so that she could take her for her vet checks. She also took care of the cost of the medication and this was for almost a year. To me this is not someone that deserves all of this horrible stuff that is being said about her. She had too many dogs and did not want to reach out for help because of exactly what ended up happening. God bless Teri for all that she has done for the welfare of unwanted chows!