90 Dogs Seized From Lancaster County Home

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chownut
Rank 0
Rank 0

90 Dogs Seized From Lancaster County Home

Post by Chownut »

Has anyone seen this yet? How horrible! They just Seized 190+ dogs from a "supposed" rescue here by me. It took a long time but finally! The ASPCA and the Humane Society of the United States are both involved in that one.
Chownut
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 90 Dogs Seized From Lancaster County Home

Post by Chownut »

Oops! Forgot to include the article. What a day!

AND it's a chow chow rescue

90 Dogs Seized from Lancaster County home in EAST LAMPETER TOWNSHIP, Pa

EAST LAMPETER TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- The Humane League of Lancaster County seized 90 dogs Tuesday from a rescue organization in East Lampeter Township.

The dogs were rescued from a home in the first block of Linda Avenue. Terri Palmer-Roby operated a chow chow rescue at the residence, Humane League officials said.

Conditions at the home had deteriorated, resulting in unsanitary and unhealthy living conditions for the dogs and people.

The Humane League will assess the health of each dog, many of which are in fair condition.

Cages were stacked three high and several deep throughout the ranch-style house.

"This is really not an intentional act of cruelty. This is someone who got in way over their head and maybe did not reach out for help in time," said Meghan Gallagher Clark, of the Lancaster County Human League. "So, we definitely want to fix the situation and make sure it does not happen again."

The Humane League will assess the health of each dog, many of which are in fair condition. Some of the dogs, however, required serious medical attention.

"This is really not an intentional act of cruelty. This is someone who got in way over their head and maybe did not reach out for help in time," said Clark.

The Berks County Humane League is caring for some of the dogs. More than 70 remain at the Lancaster County Humane League's facility.

Palmer-Roby faces up to 10 misdemeanor charges in connection with the unsanitary conditions at her home.

Information about the dogs and their adoption status will be available on the Humane League's Web site.

Donations to care for the chow chows can be made online or by calling the Humane League at 717-393-6551.
tabitha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tabitha »

I'm shocked :(

http://www.humaneleague.com

That's a very well know Chow Chow Rescue
:cry:
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! This just blows my freakin mind. :cry: I talked with Teri and offered help many times but she never seemed interested then in March my company sponsored her at the Reading Pet Expo. It seemed like she only had a few,I had no clue she had that many dogs.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
muddydead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by muddydead »

How about Chow Welfare? Or the Chow Chow Club helping? I believe she is/was a member of both.
Helping one Chow may not save the world, but it means the world to that one Chow
tabitha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tabitha »

:cry: "Over the next several days the League will assess the health and temperament of each dog. Information about the dogs and their adoption status will be posted on the League’s website, http://www.humaneleague.com. :cry:
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I kept rereading this. It takes my breath away.

I followed this link to donate to help in the care of all these chows. Please join me.

http://www.humaneleague.com
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm saddened to hear things went out of control for this rescue. As I was reading the first article, the names were familiar...then I saw the Pendrwgon name. They had animals on Petfinder all the time. All I can think is that they just couldn't say no...this is a tragedy for eastern US homeless Chows.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

how sad.

David
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

This is quite unbelievable and so sad for all those poor chows. I hope that they can be found real homes but it is hard for me to imagine that that many chows can be rehomed we would struggle to find half a dozen in shelters in the whole of the uk. How did they fit that many chows in and how did the authorities not know? So sad.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
muddydead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by muddydead »

Here is the video of the Chows being seized. Looks like there are quite a few puppies....
http://articles.lancasteronline.com/loc ... 37834/2640

It is sad that her own Chows were taken as well ...
Helping one Chow may not save the world, but it means the world to that one Chow
tabitha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tabitha »

Last edited by tabitha on Fri May 22, 2009 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lisa_D »

Oh My! I just seen this on the local news. I am so surprised and shocked!

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

This is so sad....and as the news said...I am sure that it was not intentional.
She just got in over her head.

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am so sorry to hear this. We got Molly from this rescue. If it hadn't been for Teri, Molly might not be here today. I'm sure it wasn't intentional...please don't judge her. As the articles say, things got out of hand. I'm sorry they also took her own chows. That seems unreasonable.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

I read about this yesterday but hadn't seen the videos and pictures.

Very sad. And I know it's completely irrelevant but they're all. so. cute. cute cute cute cute.

And no matter how cute they are, I'm a bit of a pessimist and don't think they can possibly adopt out all 90. The puppies will get swooped on, especially with the news coverage. But what if they have aggressive tendancies?? We all know a chow's bad rap, it isn't that way for no reason. It takes a LOT to properly socialize a chow. And I may be wrong, but I've read that some dogs, after one huge traumatic event can just turn. I don't know if the Humane leauge is a no-kill shelter. I really hope not.

Because at FIRST eval or temperment testing, I'm almost sure a lot of chows wouldn't pass. Which is the saddest part of all.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I agree, Tsunami. That's what I'm afraid of...that many of them won't make it to homes. :( :(
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

PLease don't judge Teri. She took in more dogs than she could house or cope with becaues she was unable to say 'NO' to those that were too sick, or thought too aggressive to adopt out from shelters. That was her main problem. She honestly believed that she could get them healthy & adopted out... Also, the facts are NOT all correct in the reports, not at all! There are other agenda's at work here :-x We are working to get as many dogs out as possible right now, including ones that the Humane league wants to euthanise. Most of Teri's personal dogs are co-owned & have already been pulled & taken to live with the co-owners.
Thank you Elodie!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I agree Layla. Actually looking at the chows, they are in pretty decent shape. You can tell some are old and have health issues but anyone who has seen chows in need at shelters (Just look in the chows in need section here) can tell you how bad they can look and these guys look well fed. The news stories conflict each other anyway. I hope they are able to adopt them out. The problem is, they ended up here because no one wanted them to begin with so it will be extra hard. I feel very badly for the woman and for the chows. I can easily understand not wanting to say no to a chow in need. It is so sad.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Please, Layla, let us know if there is anything we can do. As I said, we got our Molly from Pendragwn, and I loved talking to and meeting Teri. She is intelligent, well-spoken, and very compassionate. I hope things will work out for her and the chows.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

All of Teri's own chows (& the two puppies) are out & as of this evening there are 40 rescues left. If anybody knows of rescues that may have room to take any in please call Lancaster Humane League... keep trying, they have been returning calls when they are able.

The behaviourist who is doing the temperament tests has spoken to a few chow people & they feel she is knowledgable about the breed & keen to give each dog a few trys. She's also happy to tagged dogs as just for adult homes, if they just fail a section of the test. This is very very good for Lancester county!

Please remember that there is a LOT more to this than you see on the surface.
Thank you Elodie!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Thanks so much! This makes me feel a little better.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Lalya the fact you are in Seattle and have better info then what i can find an hour away is amazing, =D= the time and dedication you must have put into getting this is amazing. Thank you. =D=

I am headed to the humane society tomorrow (had i not just taken vacation i would be there today also)to help with bathing the chows and to see if i can help with anything else.

John asked that i only bring one home to foster because he knows she won't leave :wink:
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Good for you!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

If anybody is in the area, the humane society are asking for people to walk the dogs. They are currently mostly double kennelled & they need to be taken out so the pens can be cleaned. The Humane League also hope to start adopting out the remaining chow mixes today if anybody is interested. Most will not be avalible to homes with children under 8yrs old & people need to sign to say they understand the character of chows & grooming needs. There are some real friendly cuties there :D
Thank you Elodie!