Maddoxx the Digger

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Maddoxx the Digger

Post by NanouetJon »

So fate would have it I am moving to Quebec and am getting my current home ready for sale. I have a nice enough back yard and am pretty proud of my lawn. Like I assume most men are.

This will show you how smart these chow chows are. I am offloading my pickup truck of a load of dirt as I am reseeding a part of the yard. The second hour into I see Maddoxx throwing dirt as well as he has dug a 2 foot whole in the GOOD part of the lawn. I would swear he was trying to mimic me.

Anyway I know that his nature is to dig and he seems to enjoy it. What I have found so far is to put a rock or brick in his current holes and build him a sandbox that he can dig in. Has anyone tried this?

I would love to hear your solutions. As long as they are only based on Alpha training methods only.. Just kidding I am open to everything that can work. I really need this lawn to be presentable and the new house I need a long term solution. Leaving him in the house while I work outside is not an option for me as I enjoy his company as much as he enjoys mine.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Maddoxx the Digger

Post by kiwani »

NanouetJon wrote: I have a nice enough back yard and am pretty proud of my lawn. Like I assume most men are.
In case you are using 'weed and feed' type lawn chemicals, those greatly increase your Chow's risk of several cancers, including bladder and lymphoma. The chemicals accumulate in the body and weaken the immune system. They also affect the aquifers and the soil's "immune systems".

NanouetJon wrote:I need a long term solution.
Lower his stress chemistry, and lower the copper. The digging is his coping strategy to raise endorphins.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Some of us women like doing the yard work too...well. That might be an over-statement. I enjoy working in my perenniel gardens. As long as the lawn is green-looking, I don't care if there are a few weeds. The only thing I use on the lawn is a spritz of Round-up here and there, and that does not absorb into the soil. Mine do not dig, except one spot near the garbage can for Pip to lay in during the summer, and even that is just a light contour. I have heard that a digging sandbox have helped others direct the activity. These types of behaviors are hard to stop completely. Depending on when you plan to move, you may wish to just monitor closely until you move, and then put a dig area in at his new 'digs'...lol. (I know, droll, very droll).
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Alf loves to dig :) I got him a large sandpit & filled for him. I inturrupt him digging (hand clapping, moving him gently away) when he digs anywhere but but his pit. I also tend to hide toys / chewies in his pit to make it doubly interesting there. He got it quickly & only digs in his pit :D

Layla
Thank you Elodie!
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

UPDATE:

I have a section of my yard I removed a shed ( too ugly to show with the house) well under it is was sand. So I have designated this spot Dig Central. Some encouragement when he dug there and some distraction when he dug elsewhere and problem solved. He digs in the sand area only.

I will pack up some of that sand and bring it with me to the new house and put it in the sandbox I make for him. Hopefully the scent will transition him well.