Walks/runny poo

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Walks/runny poo

Post by TJordan »

Did someone post once that runny poo while on a walk is common for dogs? I am curious because Butters poo is more solid now than ever. 98% of what i clean up in the backyard is solid. but it seems that everytime we are on a walk it is runny? What is the deal?
SweetPea Rocks!!
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Walks/runny poo

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Gosh I think it might be due to his body temp rising? Does Butters (hehe love that name) display any other symptoms, like constant panting or non-responsive like he's tired out? Before and after our walks we put an electrolyte powder supplement in the water made by Nupro, its sold in a quart size or so container with a green label,
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

HMMM, he does pant like crazy. But certianly not tired out, he always wants a longer walk. I never thought of an electrolyte issue. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into this angle. He is always alert on his walks, he acutually seems to be more in to listening the longer his walk goes.
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

That always happened to my daughters dog. (shar pei/pug) and we just thought he got so excited that he caused himself irritable bowel syndrome.. She use to laugh and say I don't know why I carry a plastic bag there is no way Iam able to pick up after him.. Poor little thing he had so many issues..
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Pip gets that way at the Beach. She gets over it quickly, and being in sugar sand, pick-up is not a problem...lol. Thank God they provide clean-hands doggy bags! I am by no means an expert, but I think it is tied to the heightened stimuli of being away from home and in an environment they feel on gaurd- like walks beach, dogparks.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

TJordan wrote:Did someone post once that runny poo while on a walk is common for dogs? I am curious because Butters poo is more solid now than ever. 98% of what i clean up in the backyard is solid. but it seems that everytime we are on a walk it is runny? What is the deal?
Stress chemistry can interfere with digestion and it also speeds up intestinal 'transit time'. Think of the nervous system as having two sides - one side is about excitement (fight/flight), the other side is about calming (relax/digest). That's the reason it's recommended for dogs who are prone to bloat, to be fed in a stress-free environment and to restrict their exercise after meals.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Ok, that makes since. He does get super excited when it is walk time. Crazy excited. You would think he would be use to it since he gets a walk everyday but he still gets the same amount of excited. Hey Kiwani what is the time that you would suggest to walk after eating. I try to make it 2 hours. Should it be more?
SweetPea Rocks!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

TJordan wrote:...You would think he would be use to it since he gets a walk everyday but he still gets the same amount of excited.
Butters has a deficit on the calming side of the nervous system, so there's less of a *counterbalance* to hold down the excess of excitement. It's like driving a fast car with worn brakes.

How long to wait to exercise after meals, depends in part on what's being fed and how easily excitable a dog is.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

TJordan wrote:what is the time that you would suggest to walk after eating. I try to make it 2 hours. Should it be more?
After eatting a full meal, it's a one hour quiet time and wait before they are allowed to run around or go to the yard. After a walk, I allow a few sips of water and wait 10-15 minutes for them to slurp more water down.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Thank you very much for your schedule example. I think we are very close in that. So I guess short of not feeding him at all prior to a walk he will just be that way. I would really hate to wait until 10 or 11 at night to feed him.

Kiwani, that was a good analogy for Butters fast car worn brakes. The vet mentioned to me last visit that we might consider doggie prozac. He wasn't sure it would help too much except with his lick granulomas (hope i spelled that right).
SweetPea Rocks!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

TJordan wrote:The vet mentioned to me last visit that we might consider doggie prozac. He wasn't sure it would help too much except with his lick granulomas (hope i spelled that right).
You might also consider the canine Nutri-Calm, there's some info on that supplement (tryptophan) in the archives.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Both Shiloh & Nahkohe are super excited when I get home because it's time for our walk/run. I feed them breakfast and leave a bowl of kibble out. They finish their breakfast in the morning and they probably snack on the kibble during the day. But I'm sure they just nibble on the kibble because it takes a long time (days) before they actually finish off a bowl - between the two of them.
Shiloh has never gone poo during our walks. Nahkohe is sporadic but when he does, the poo has been solid - but just since he's been on the new diet (green tripe). Previously, his poo's were messy - at home or on his run.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh