Grandmothers' Pictures

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Grandmothers' Pictures

Post by Judy Fox »

Our eldest granddaughter Louise is expecting a baby, due in April so we will soon be greatgrandparents! :D We are all looking forward to the event very much indeed and the two grandmothers are very excited. I think Louise has enough nappies, baby powder, cream, clothes, bottles etc. etc. to last thoughout the infant's babyhood, so generous are the grandmas!
I found a cross-stitch chart that I thought would just about be the thing for them both so I stitched the two pictures and I am delighted with them and so is Louise so she will be able to give them when the baby is born.
The expected baby is a boy. Louise did not want to know but Darren was desperate to know so they asked when they went for a scan.
Last edited by Judy Fox on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chris

Re: Grandmothers' Pictures

Post by chris »

Oh congradulations to you Judy! How exciting... I love things like that (cross stictch) things that are made from the heart! :-)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Congratulations! That must be so exciting! I love the pictures!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Many congrats to the whole family. New babies are so exciting! How long will you have to wait?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you all.

The baby is due towards the end of April - about 25th I think but I received a telephone call from my daughter, the "Grandmother" to tell me that Louise had an appointment with the midwife today and she told her that she is of the opinion that Louise might be 4 weeks further on that the hospital scans show - so, she has to go to the hospital tomorrow for another scan to try to ascertain size etc. The midwife said that the baby is well into the position - getting ready for birth so - it might be sooner than later. \:D/

She is all ready though so it does not matter when the little bloke comes.

At the moment he is to be called Connor - but of course that can change. I like the name Connor though and his surname will be Roberts so I think Connor Roberts is a very nice name. :D
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Congratulations Judy!!! Wow A Great-Grandmother.....you sure are a good lookin' Great-Grandmother :D Your crossstitch pics are beautiful and the perfect gift for the new grandmothers, they will be so proud. I agree with you Connor Roberts is a very nice name. Hope all goes well and Mum & Baby have an easy delivery. My daughter having her babies was the hardest thing I've ever done....I felt every labor pain :lol: She even had to tell me I could breath, guess I was turning blue :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Oh and we will be expecting pics when you get them :wink:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

congratulations How exciting for everyone

David
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Thanks again everybody - but Vikki, you see, that is the joy of being the "Greatgrandmother" - I don't have to go through the "mother" thing and support Louise. I can leave that to the grandmothers - I have done all that.
I can just sit here and do the nicest of things. \:D/
I have stitched her an afghan blanket with little teddies - one for each month of the year.
I have done these two pictures and I am now half way through knitting a blanket for her in the traditional Cumbrian style of knitting. It is very beautiful and M & M thoroughly approve as they were born in Cumbria.
I don't have to bother with clothes and nappy pins and sterilising liquid or whatever. =;
I can just sit back and "Lord it".
After all, I am going to be the "Great Grandmother".
:lol:
Last edited by Judy Fox on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

congratulations judy and to your family =D= =D=
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh Judy how exciting!! A Great-Grandma. You are going to spoil that kid rotten!! Love the cross-stitch!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you.

Are you familiar with the Cumbrian Knitting Maxine? It is really pretty - I will take a picture when I have finished the little blanket.

................and yes, I am looking forward to spoiling the little lad when he is toddling round. I will leave all the hard work to the grandmothers - been there - done that!! :lol: \:D/
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Judy,

Congratulations on the exciting news! Your stitchery is wonderful!
Children and grand children always appreciate gifts made with loving hands.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Sounds like Great-grand is better than grand then \:D/ You should sit back and enjoy spoiling your new lil' baby. I was going to ask about the Cumbian Knitting....can't wait to see a pic of your new blanket.

Thanks Sweetpea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Here are some pictures of the little baby blanket I have just completed. I am really pleased with it. :D
As you can see by the first picture, the blanket is make up of small "triangular like" pieces of knitting and then they are stitched together to make the blanket.

I am getting quite excited now - in fact we all are and Louise is getting a bit fed up! :roll:
She popped in to see us yesterday afternoon and she is so big. She is quite ticked off actually as Darren was due on 25th April but was born early on 7th April.
As this baby is due on 25th April, she had set her mind on him being born on 7th April just like his Daddy - but the 7th came and went and she is still trundling round with an enormous tummy! :lol:
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Judy, I love that blanket, it's beautiful! I have a friend expecting twins in June and she's moving back to the States in a couple weeks...she's getting sick of it too LOL She's so angry, she's too big to fly coach so she has to fly business class...can't see what she's complaining about personally...at least she has a more comfortable seat, and more room on that 8 hour flight! LOL
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

The blanket is beautiful! I hope the little fellow will make his appearance soon!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

My own Grandmother, and the only one I have left in that generation, was and still is an expert crocheter. I have many beautiful items from through the years, and she even crocheted Haley's favorite ragdolls. Your gifts are priceless!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I love the blanket and had never heard of Cumbrian knitting before. There is nothing more special than something from great gandmother. We have cobweb shawls that my Granny knitted for my two children and they are kept wrapped in tissue for the next generation. I hope you don't have to wait too long for the special event. Connor is a lovely name.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you all and as I said, I am so excited and hope we don't have to wait too long.
I knitted cobweb shawls for the three families, i.e. our son's children and our two daughter's children and they are wrapped up in tissue paper, together with the three of our granddaughter's first communion dresses.
Connor is not going to need his mother's first communion dress though, is he! :lol: but maybe if he has a sister some day.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Beautiful blanket Judy. I think all little ones should have their very own blanky, I made ones for my niece and nephew when they were born but didn't think to take pictures of them.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Well now, little Connor. Folks are waiting. It is tax day here in the states, come today, and we will all remember your birthday. Me thinks you will grow up to tease the ladies, because you certainly are doing a job of it now, and you have yet to take your first breath!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yes! Are you a "Mam-gu Mam-gu" yet? Please tell Darren to take Louise on a long walk round and round Sainsbury for goodness sakes. She's bound to drop and go into labor by the end of their walk about! :P
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

hi judy i think i must be a bit slow i know i live in cumbria but i have never heard of a cumbrian knitting machine #-o has the baby made an apperance yet :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

No, Master Connor roberts is still tucked up snug in his Mummy's tummy! :lol:
I sent her a text message yesterday saying "...this is getting silly now, get shifting!"
She texted back and said that they had been on long walks, had cleaned her house from top to bottom and sorted the garden and she is still there.
Lola, I had not heard of Cumbrian knitting until about 20 years ago a publication called "Busy Needles" was issued as a fortnightly part-work. I ordered it from the newsagent and collected the entire set and it filled 5 ring binders. This pattern was in and I knitted one for my third granddaughter Isabelle who will be 19 in July.
Lou, Connor will call me "Hennain" and he will call Fred "Hendaid". The literal translation is Old Grandmother and Old Grandfather which is correct as he has his two grandmothers and his two grandfathers. We are the old ones!! :lol: Hennain is pronnounced - Hen like hen but with a long e (that is e and not ee) and nain as in the number nine - thus - Heeeenine! Similarly Hendaid is Heeeendide!
I rather like having a special name and we have decided this time to use the North Cambrian names. In South Wales Grandma and Grandad are Mam-gu and Tad-cu and in North Wales they are Nain and Taid. My children called my father Taid and he died not long before Louise was born so he was "Taid" and so we were called Mam-gu and Tad-cu.
Anyway, will let you all know when the little lad appears. :lol: