Advice Needed!!!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Advice Needed!!!

Post by TJordan »

Tonight I was in my kitchen when I heard the most horrible yelping. I went outside and stood on my backporch. Only to witness a new neighbor beating the hell out of his dogs and kicking them. He went one by one and beat the hell out of all 3 of them. I didn't know how many he had or what they were I only knew 3 got a beating. I was LIVID. I called Animal Control who showed up quicker than I thought. My husband and I both filled out reports as to what we witnessed.

The man wouldn't allow Animal Control in his house or in the backyard. So she could only do a check to see if he had food. Which he showed her, she said she peeked through the fence and that they were 3 pit bull puppies. That broke my heart. She said she is going to check with her supervisor and see what can be done without proof of abuse. The man actually told her that in his old house animal control had been called many times. He claims it was because people don't like Pitt Bulls. I told her, well 1. I own a chow and don't descriminate on breed. 2. what happened to the other pitt bulls if these are only puppies. I said listen honey, I don't care what it is, he shouldn't be beating it.

I was screaming over the fence "knock it off" and other choice words. But wind here is blowing about 45 mph. So he didn't hear me. He was so intent on what he was doing that he was in the zone.

I don't know what else to do. It seems obvious to me that Animal control isn't going to do a damn thing. Suggestions???????
SweetPea Rocks!!
kingalls

Re: Advice Needed!!!

Post by kingalls »

:evil: grrrr! that's just awful and sickening...I would stay on Animal Control's back and if you have video cam, have it ready - even if you only get the audio, it might hold up as evidence...maybe check with the police department if there are other options (I don't trust that Animal Control know all that they need to know)...
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I just called the police dept. and they were less than helpful. Told me to call animal control back tomorrow and check the status. he said if they feel there is a threat they will get a warrant and remove the dogs. Screw that , I feel there is a threat!! I will have the video camera ready just in case. But it broke my heart to hear that yelping. I don't know how I can video the thing without him seeing me. What if he decides to hurt my dog. or my house. He is a renter, I own my home. I am here to stay. He is a big (very big) scary looking dude!
SweetPea Rocks!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Can you contact the owner and express your concerns? Like you, I would worry about the jerk doing something bad to me or my Chow. I'm guessing he already knows you contacted Animal Control so be on the alert now. What about the other neighbors? Can you alert them to be on the watch, too? I would definitely try to contact the owners - if this guy is trying to raise fighting dogs, they may not want to be involved with it being on their property.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I was thinking of digging through the tax records to find the owner. I don't know who the owner is by name. But I do wonder if it is a friend or something like that. But I am going to try and find the owner info. in the morning.

I know Butters won't allow anyone near him, which in this case will be good. the fences are locked. And he isn't usually out much alone. Since he thinks he is a big baby! But I will be on the look-out. I know most of the people on my side of the alley. I don't know any on the other side. I will put my neighbors on alert as well.

Thanks for the advice.
SweetPea Rocks!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Tammy, I know you are mad!! It makes me mad, knowing this event took place!
This is awful! This man must be compensating for short comings in his life, taking it out on the dogs!!!
I'm glad animal control came out so fast...that is a surprise?
Animal abuse is a crime! Currently, in most states it's only a misdemeanor, but never the less,
it's a crime. So, why shouldn't the police respond to a crime? I promise you, if the renter called them, because Butters was
loose, the police would be knocking on your door!!
I would complain in writing, and a phone call to the mayor about the police department not responding.
Also, like you, I would go to city planning, get a platt map of the area, and get the owner's name.
I would suggest, it appears this renter is training his dogs to be mean, most likely for illegal dog fighting.
Ask the Landlord, if this is the type activity that he/she condones?
And like you, I would get a video of this guy's abuse.
And....I wouldn't tell a soul if the dog's simply disappeared one night into the darkness!
They deserve a better chance at life than with a mean azzhole like that!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Those poor baby pups. I know I would be raising all kinds of hell if my neighbors did something like that, but I'd also be scared for my pack. The world is full of jackasses. You can look up the homeowners name in your county's tax appraisals website. Try this website to see if your county is listed. http://www.trueautomation.com/ You can search on the address. Good luck and keep an eagle eye on Mr Butters. :shock:
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Good god, I hate hearing stuff like this. I think I would keep bugging the crap out of animal control no matter what. It sounds like you're doing all you can be doing right now. Those poor puppies...I'm thinking he's trying to make them mean and is maybe into dog fighting..?
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

WOW, they really make it hard to be a good citizen around here. It seems that nobody wants to do anything. I am really irritated with the cops and their condecending tone :-x Bama, I like your idea about the complaint to the Mayor and that may come next!

I have found the owners name and address, so that is my next step. I do only worry that these might be friends of hers or something crazy like that. But it appears she doesn't live far so I will track her down.

I called animal control back this morning. They were giving me the run-around. Telling me I had to come in and fill out a form, then their legal department could contact me with the info. they were able to discuss. Well, that wasn't what I wanted to hear this A.M. (First let me mention I am not a morning person!! :? ) So that lady caught a somewhat large piece of my mind first thing this morning. To which she said, Let me check! She told me that it was a very detailed report and that there is going to be a follow up visit. So I will go fill out the proper paperwork and keep at them.

I guess my biggest problem will be keeping my temper in check when it happens next time. :evil:

Cora, I was thinking the same thing about Dog Fighting. :evil:
SweetPea Rocks!!
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

How horrible! And cudos to you for standing your ground and following through on this =D= . Those poor puppies. I hope you can catch him on camera, I wouldn't be afraid, you're not doing anything illegal by filming. But I am also not afraid to carry a gun to protect myself from people. We have a television station that would be all over this, any chance that could help your cause? A local TV person that is also an animal right person would be great to have on your side, with or without video proof. Good luck, and thanks standing up for those puppies!
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

contact your state legislature. They are always so gung ho to pass Breed specfic legislation, contact them and tell them this is why some pit's loose it, this treatment especially as puppies is what turns them into monesters. Call your local TV stations, radio stations.contact Oprah. If one of those puppies grows up and goes after some one they'd be there lickity split, going all dramatic about the "evil" pit-bulls. Contact a local pit-bull club and let them help you...Abuse is what makes so many dogs dangerous, but no one wants to do anything about it until the dog goes after someone and they it's the dog's fault. Time to change that. pass laws to get creeps like this jailed and banned from EVER owning a dog or a cat or even a rat!
I swear stuff like this makes me so mad! What do we have to do to move dogs and cats from livestock to a new catagory...something along the lines of companion animals?
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

OH MY GOD> People here is the latest. I was still mad so I went and picked my DH up for lunch. We drove by the house and did a dog check and noticed only 2 puppies. I also realized that the big white one I saw last week was gone. So my curiosity got the best of me. We decided to see what he threw in the dumpster yesterday. :shock: I was horrified when I saw one dead puppy and one half dead larger dog. The white one that was missing. I ran inside and called animal control and said NOW GET HERE. The trash truck was coming down the alley. I jumped in front of the trash truck and stopped him from getting the dogs. I then called a friend of my bosses. She has a drug dog and works for the sheriff. I was FURIOUS. She said I am calling the city cops. Next thing I know 2 animal control trucks and 6 cops are in my front yard. Talk about action, that chick cracked the whip.!! So DH says he is in the alley, I told animal control, turns out the cops were also over there. He has many warrants out and was trying to sneak down the alley while his woman stalled the cops. But the cops had one in the alley gun drawn waiting on the bastard. They got the both dogs out, told me he was going to jail, I am still waiting to hear about the two remaining pups in the yard. I had to go back to work, so I pay animal control a visit later and see. She said charges will be filed. Cops also told me charges will be filled. Guess I will have to get a gun now!! He may think it is too much trouble to live around a nosey person.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

WOW! See they should have listened to you in the first place! Sounds like you need a security system too, I would be worried about what could/would happen when you're not home. My Chow sounds viscous when he barks, but a very loud alarm goes off outside if tripped, and it scares the crap out of people. I accidentally set it off once, and my neighbor's horse took off running. It has gone off in the middle of the night, and I'm pretty sure someone was trying to break in, the alarm made them head for the hills. Be careful, that's terrible what he did to those animals, I hope he pays dearly and gets evicted.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I can't use the words that are spewing out of my mouth right now on this site! Needless to say they aren't fit for children! Why does it take a death or two for something to be done I mean I'm against a place where the cops or anyone have the right to just barge in and check things out but when someone says something is wrong, couldn't they at least pretend to take a look.

Poor puppy. At least he's in a better place. what about the older dog was it their mother?
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I would bet it was the momma. But I can't be sure. I am so disgusted :-x
SweetPea Rocks!!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

It's so sad that it took this to get some action, but I'm so proud of you Tammy for sticking to your convictions and getting this jackass. Hopefully he's convicted of animal abuse/cruelty and they throw his sorry butt in jail.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Tammy, This is the kind of thing that brings out my inner-redneck!!! :twisted: :twisted:
I'm afraid, I would have gone to this guy's house and told him I was taking his dogs away from him.
Of course, then he would have killed me, and I would be the one in the trash dumpster!
I know you have already done so much to help these poor dogs. However, maybe you should strike while the iron is hot...you have gone this far, already? He's bound to know it's you!
I would pay a personal visit to the landlord and get the guy thrown out, he has committed a crime inside the house.
That is grounds for being thrown out! Not only has this guy committed cruelty to animals, he has disturbed your peace!
How can you live in peace listening to these poor dogs cry out in pain? Disturbing your peace is yet another complaint to the police and mayor,
in addition to the animal cruelty!
If the Landlord doesn't respond, then make the landlord aware that you will have to expose their refusal to cooperate, and therefore must
be a participant, by omission to this jerks illegal actions!
Call the tv stations and make a news story out of it, how this could have been
prevented if the police had only come the first time they were called. Did anyone get photos of the dogs in the trash bin?
Pics need to go to the tv station, and also to the national humane society. Your in this now girl, you may as well go all the way and
press on for national attention. I have learned when gearing up for a fight...don't hold anything back, involve every person, committee, and organization you can to come down on this guy and this type of behavior.
YOU GO GIRL!!!! I'm proud of you!!! =D= =D= =D= =D=
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Wow, what a story! Thank God you took action and didn't just pay no attention...if you had, all of the dogs would probably be dead. I hope the older one survives and gets a great home. What a sicko this person must be! He needs to be locked up for good!! Great job!! Keep us posted...please!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well the mamma had to be put down because of the head wounds. I raised Hell at animal control about the other puppies still being there. He said he is going to try and get a warrant. he said that because other people were home he couldn't take the dogs without a warrant. He also said he is wanting to find a judge to sign off on an order prohibiting the man from having dogs on the premisis which he lives. But wasn't sure it would work. I said try it, I will stand behind you and yell, kick and scream.

The drug dog lady called me back to see if anything happened. I told her the story of him being a repeat offender (according to animal control) and about the order. She said she thinks that can happen in our county. she got his name and is looking into it. She was also not happy about the dogs still being there.

I am feeling so sick. I am shaking inside. I can't bear to go to the trash can. My other neighbors are on the lookout. My neighbor across the street asked another neighbor what was going on (I hadn't seen him yet) and he said if he had known he would beating that dude sensless. So I know I did the right thing but people are starting to freak me out a little with all the retaliation talk :shock: I wasn't concerned at all until everybody is going better watch out. DH was not wanting me to walk the dog. I said people stop. My dad is preparing ammunition and taking me for target practice on my next visit. The only thing I worry about is Butters. And yes I will be keeping an eye on him, Eagle eye.

I am going to talk to hte sheriff lady tomorrow and see what is happening and get her opinion on the news stations and the newspaper. I am also going to write my legislature and get this out there.
SweetPea Rocks!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Tammy,
Scary as hell but you did the right thing! You do need to be on alert because low-life people like this jerk and who ever else is living in that house cannot be trusted. Be sure to follow through with the owners. I'm sure they don't want to be in the middle of a court case because of criminal actions happened on their property. Be sure to make sure the police are aware of your concerns so that if you have to call, they will respond immediately. I know that some of the "beware" posts might scare you but you really do need to make sure Butters is safe. It might help to have a neighborhood meeting so that all of you are on board about calling each other and/or the police if anything looks suspicous.
I'm so sorry that the puppy and adult dog were victims of this jerk. I hope they can take those puppies away.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well thankfully 3 of my neighbors are on board, I haven't talked to the others yet. But I have a big mouth so I will get it out there. I also have the sheriff dept. lady's cell #. She said call immediatly should I need anything. I know she can get the cops here. She is a captain with the sheriff's dept. She said her broadcast toady was "All dog lovers respond to this address ASAP" Next thing, 6 plus cops were here. She light a fire!!

I will be taser shopping tomorrow. So at least on our walks I will have some back up.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

With your fire he may be afraid of you at this point! But getting a taser isn't a bad idea, just be sure you know how to use it properly, I've carried mace for 13 years now. Sounds like you have the attention of the right people too, that will help keep you safe. Maybe there could be a 'dog-napping' arranged, wait did I say that out loud? Normally I would never consider something that drastic, but you're right, he could kill those other dogs. Animal control needs to get them out of there. Wish I was close by, I would offer to come help!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm sorry to hear about the mother dog. I think you've done a great job getting so many involved. I wish you the best and pray the other puppies will soon be out of there! Stay safe!
Last edited by CoraP. on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I saw the man in the alley this morning. He is already out. I called animal control and asked about the other pups. He said they are not going to remove them. I said "Excuse me" He said other people live there, Blah Blah Blah. I said well we know he beat 2 to death and he is there. He told me "well you could make that case" I said well there must be something wrong with my ears. I know he beat those dogs to death. I can't believe you are now telling me you are going to do nothing. He told me that I should call the police now it is a police case. I told him I didn't think very highly of him as a person and certainly didn't think he should be supervising anything at this point. I said to him, You told me that he is a repeat offender, you told me he has been jailed, etc. This morning he was backtracking.
SweetPea Rocks!!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Dang, that's frustrating, but don't give up!! I know people in San Antonio post on Craigslist about this kind of stuff going on in their neighborhood. Maybe you could try something like that asking for advice. There's power in numbers.
I'm sure you're already very careful with Butters, but if I were you, he wouldn't be left in the yard without supervision. And make sure you do a yard sweep before he goes out to do his business. That jackass could throw poisoned meat over the fence. And one more thing, as long as you carry your cell phone and/or camera on your walks you're probably okay. Butters will handle things, I believe. I wouldn't let that jackass make you so afraid that you change your routine. Let him see you so he knows you're not afraid of him. Bullies thrive on other people's fear. Please be careful.