Beneful vs Nutro

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Beneful vs Nutro

Post by Jeff&Peks »

It sounds good but thats what I call food enticement adding wet food which they do love will cause them to eat faster and more then normal, I know if I added wet to Pekoes food she would down it in a second then look for more..My problem with wet food isn't so much the food its the can the food comes in. Human food in a can always seems to make me sick.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Previously, I fed my two a can of Wellness plus some cooked chicken and some brown rice...they both liked it and their Wellness kibble. I don't know about other Chowlings but my two don't seem to have eating as a priority. They have always been free feeders...I can put their "breakfast" bowls out and they may take all day to eat it. Same with the kibble - it's like a sometime snack....a 25 lbs bag lasts for months.
We have switched to a raw diet now and they still "graze" - they never have the need to gobble up the food at one sitting. They eat throughout the day..more often than not, they have breakfast leftovers that are finished around dinner time.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Ok, while we are talking about this, here's another worry I have: timed feeding vs free feeding.

For free feeding:
- chow will eat slower - less risk of bloat - mine suck it down - I am always worried about bloat and have a kit on hand.
- they are less "worried" about food

For timed feeding (twice a day):
- They poop and pee regularly - so that I can tell immediately if they are irregular, and can see it.
- Dogs supposedly like to be on a schedule (although they aren't in the wild, are they?)
- Food doesn't sit around at all (always worried about ants, food getting congealed and dried out.)
- It is good that they are anxious for their food because I can practice NILF
- When traveling, they do better on a schedule. Also less stress, because they have scheduled poos and pees
- keeps them regulated - I can tell immediately if something is wrong and they don't eat.

What do you all think?
Mia
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe is a free feeder also there is food out for her at all times but she seems to have her own schedule, she only gets 3 cups aday so she spreads it out usally cleaning the bowl at what I call her mid-night snack after she finishes guard duty.

Onyx was a garbage disposal I really had to watch her.

Pekoe has never known not having food so its probably no big deal to her its there when she wants it, Onyx probably had to fight for food and wasn't fed alot
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Mia,
I wish I could say what is best - free feeding vs scheduled feeding.
We don't have a schedule that supports scheduled feeding. Our two have been free feeders since they were young.
It is totaly my own opinion but if the Chow knows that the food is there when needed,there will be less of a "need to eat now cuz it won't be there later"...
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Either you set the schedule or they set the schedule Pekoe set her own schedule, she eats at 9am. 5 pm, poops at 6pm then cleans her bowl around midnight but always leaves 3 pieces so I know where to put the food the next time. I fill her bowl again in the morning she won't go near it until around 9am, pretty much her schedule for 13 years.

It all depends on the chow and how they respond to food and treats, Pekoe isn't a treat eater and doesn't pay that much attention to food unless its trash in the park, She dosn't go near the trash at home but Park trash is fine dinning to Pekoe.

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Jonathan, thank you so much. I sent you a PM. I hope you received it. It seems to still be in my Outbox but not in my Sent files. Not sure why that is - so that is why I question whether you received it or not.

Yes, I guess I will stay with scheduled. With one chow freefeeding works better. With two or more, one may eat other's food. Chutters would certainly eat all of Mia's. Also, we very often have guest and visitor chows - and that definately wouldn't work.

So, I guess I have my answer.

thanks.
Mia
Codymac2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Codymac2 »

I had to laugh when I read Jeffs post about Pekoe always leaving 3 pieces - mine chow baby does the exact same thing every time - 3 pieces! Thought it was just her - guess not!!!!!

Regarding the Beneful vs Nutro - the Beneful has got to go!!!!

Regarding the Free or Scheduled feeding - Well one of mine can handle it and one cant - so they get scheduled or my 85 pounder would be 185 and the baby would starve. Admittedly though - they end up with food anytime they want - just stand by the pantry door and look at me with those georgous chow baby sad eyes and you will get what you want!!!