E-Collar After Spay Surgery?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

laurel_davila

E-Collar After Spay Surgery?

Post by laurel_davila »

Poor Bear was spayed today. I say "poor Bear" but know it was best...she just looks pitiful. They sent her home in the elizabethan collar...don't know if we can last ~10 days~ like this!! Has anyone gone through the spaying and done without the collar? Maybe some little pants? Any advice? :?
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: E-Collar After Spay Surgery?

Post by Mia »

I wanted to put little pants on, but the area needs fresh air and I didn't want to risk the area being rubbed by the material.

You can try without the collar if you can watch to make sure Bear doesn't lick the area. At worst, they really do get used to the collar. They hate it, but it does work. You can also try a blow up collar - that looks like a swimming blow up ring that goes around the neck. It's probably more comfortable for them, but the blow up neck ring prevents them from being able to get their neck down and get to lick themselves.
Mia
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

None of my dogs had a collar after spay surgery.Our vet makes a really small incision on the outside and a larger one on the inside.The outisde cut was just over an inch on the chows.
Some dogs will lick though,my Scarlet had the stiches out two days later.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I take the collar off when I'm home as long as they are not licking it.but it does get itchy as it heals and she may start licking that area.
I like the idea of the blow up collar like Mia said.if I ever need an E-collar again I'll try the blow up one.
good luck and just keep an eye on her :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
laurel_davila

Post by laurel_davila »

Mia wrote:I wanted to put little pants on, but the area needs fresh air and I didn't want to risk the area being rubbed by the material.

You can try without the collar if you can watch to make sure Bear doesn't lick the area. At worst, they really do get used to the collar. They hate it, but it does work. You can also try a blow up collar - that looks like a swimming blow up ring that goes around the neck. It's probably more comfortable for them, but the blow up neck ring prevents them from being able to get their neck down and get to lick themselves.
Oh, that's a great idea...are the blow up rings hard to find? I wonder if I could get one at PetSmart...I could run out tonight and pick one up...
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Neither of mine had to have e-collars after spay / neuter. We popped clothes on them when we weren;t home. As lnog as they don't bother the stitches you'll be fine. Maybe just put it on when you're not able to watch / at home?

Millie after her spay

Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

They have teh inflatable collars on-line at Petsmart so you can probably call the store and see if they are in stock. I know Teddie had to have an Eliazabethan collar on when he was neutered and he was a bulldozer with that thing. He would ram it into everything and he hated it because he could see it in his peripheral vision so he was constantly turning trying to get it. I haven't had to use one since but I am glad there are alternatives for next time.

Post by Guest »

Layla wrote:Neither of mine had to have e-collars after spay / neuter. We popped clothes on them when we weren;t home. As lnog as they don't bother the stitches you'll be fine. Maybe just put it on when you're not able to watch / at home?

Millie after her spay

OKAY....THAT'S JUST THE CUTEST PICTURE EVER...
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I would probably take it off when I was there to watch her. It is normal for them to lick it, as long as they aren't doing it all the time and trying to pull out stitches. If she bothers it a lot though, I'd leave it on at least for several days, I probably wouldn't be able to keep it on 10 days either.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
bevgo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bevgo »

CC didn't have a collar after her spay and was just fine. Of course my last dog was a male and was nutered. He had a collar and managed to get around it and tear his stitches out--had to go get him resewn--a blody mess. I was really expecting to have to return to the vet for the collar but she was OK without one
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

None of my girls ever worried at their incisions, so no e-collars for them. My boy on the other hand seemed to "feel the loss" and kept working at it whenever I would turn my back. He got an e-collar for a few days when not being watched.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

How's Miss Bear doing?
I hardly used an e-collar when Sammy had her tumor surgeries, but did need to use one when Tod was neutered. It's funny that you mention "feeling the loss". Linda (WTCR) said that boy Chows seem to miss their parts more than other breeds. Buddy was doing the "sit down, twist around, look" when I dropped him off. :?
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

My girls never had one, but poor Rex when he was nutered, was very upset with the stiches in his nackers, and just wanted them out. so he had a collar, years ago I made a special collar for my chows especially when they got ezema, I took a piece of thick foam about 1.1/2 inches thick, and covered it with a light canvas, and attache velcro to the ends, of course I measured their necks first to get the right size, then I placed the collar around their neck closed it with the velcro and there you have it a comfortable collar, which did not block their sight, or there way into the house with a big elizabethan collar, they were quite happy with it, and I eventually use them at the dog shows as well to keep their chins dry, worked like a charm, so if you are handy with the needle make one and always keep it handy, you never know when you will need it.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441