Feeling Helpless

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Feeling Helpless

Post by jacqui »

Chyna is having another autoimmune flare up today.she has been stable for a few months but has not been herself all year.
it seems that her immune system is getting worse.we have done test after test on her and they cannot find out what exactly it is and there is really no medication that helps her :(
I am just feeling very sad that I can't do more for her.she could not move this morning so I carried her outside and she didn't even want to pee.
then I carried her in the house and went to work.her Nana stayed with her but she could not move all day.
I do not know what else I can do for her.her vet is away all week and it would take another vet weeks to read her records.
I have lost faith in vets period.Chynas vet is the only one who knows whats going on with her.and they cannot do anything for her in the emergency room.
I feel very helpless.God knows we've tried everything including acupuncture for 2 years and even that did not help her.
I am at my wits end.she remains very sweet though all this.shes such a good girl.
I just needed to vent,so thank you.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Feeling Helpless

Post by wallacethegreat »

Oh, Jacqui. Your post comes at such a strange time today. After I took Foz to my regular vet for his neutering, I later had to take my young Golden Retriever to HER vet in the city. She also has an auto-immune disease called masticatory myositis. It attacks the muscles in the head and jaw and if not caught in time, is fatal since their jaws lock closed. My Katie was a foster I took in as a 16 week old pup, and could never let go. She'll be 4 this month. Katie has been on prednisone for 3 years now to control the disease, but as we all know, prednisone can be a blessing and a curse. We had blood work done to see how her liver is doing and much to my shock, the vet discovered she now has a heart murmur, grade 2. The blood work won't be done until tomorrow. When it rains, it pours, doesn't it?
Auto-immune diseases are the most rotten, especially when you can't figure out either what's wrong, or how to treat it. I'm so sorry you're going through this. It can be a long haul. Today, I'm wondering how much longer my Katie will live, but I also enjoy every day with her and never forget for a moment how special she is. I know that had I not kept her and this disease developed, no one else would have worked on it. She would have been put to sleep long ago.
Take heart in knowing you're doing everything you can. You're in my prayers...
Attachments
Miss Katie MacCallum
Miss Katie MacCallum
Katie run.JPG (33.34 KiB) Viewed 6954 times
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Jacqui, I am so sorry to hear that.

I have been ill on and off for a while, so I have missed something - Chyna is having auto-immune flare up but no one can determine what it is?

I don't know what to say, except that I can certainly understand your feeling of helplessness and frustration.

Could a holistic vet help? I have had friends who had Sharpies and chows with cancer that have used a holistic vet to try to keep up their immune systems - I can try to find that vet's number if that would help.

It seems that you are doing so much to make her comfortable, so know that you are doing the best you can.
Mia
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Jacqui I am so sorry. I wish I knew something to help you but I don't. How old is Chyna? I think you have exhausted all avenues to help her as far as vets and treatments haven't you? Is she in pain? I can't imagine how hard it is for you to watch her struggle day after day and with the yo yo of good and bad times. :cry: So sad!
(((Hugs)))
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I'm sure Chyna feels all the love you have for her.
Jacqui you are really courageous and we're thinking about you...
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thank you Laura,Lise and Jonathan,Elodie,and Laura,
auto immune disease is so awful and unpredictable.it always manifests itself in different ways.
Laura,I'm so sorry about your girl.she is beautiful.and I know you are doing all you can for her.unfortunetly Chyna cannot tolerate predisone so we don't have alot of options.but we have tried every other medication on the face of the earth.
Lise, Chyna has a holistic vet and she has tried everything including acupunture and shes still getting worse.
Chyna is 6 1/2 years old and she has suffered with this for 4 years.it started 1-2 times a year the progressed to almost daily at times.
I pray for the first frost because she usually does better in the winter.
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

Jacqui, I want to give Chyna a hug and Natasha wants to give her little kisses. She says the hugs and kisses help make the pain go away....
Natasha
and
Cue
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am sorry to hear Chyna has had a flare up. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be. There's nothing worse than watching them suffer and not being able to do anything. :(
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am so sorry to hear about Chyna, I can imagine how helpless you feel. I imagine the vets feel the same way. I know most of them are caring and compasionate people. All of us send our good thoughts and prayers that her immune system kicks in again

David
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I'm so sorry to hear you and Chyna are going through such a difficult time. I know it's almost unbearable to think about, but I really think she will tell you when she's had enough (and you'll know too). You're a wonderful Chow mom and nothing will ever change that! Please hang in there and know we're all sending positive, healing thoughts your way.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Thank you for explaining.

I can't even imagine what you are going through. Thank goodness Chyna has such a great mommy to take care of her and love her.

Hugs from Mia, Chutty and me!
Mia
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm so sorry Jacqui. Millie is having a rough time was well right now, it breaks my heart to watch her. Sending Chyna & you hugs & chow chow kisses.
Thank you Elodie!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Jaquie....hugs to you and Chyna

Sharon, JR and Cheyenne

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Oh Jacqui, how terrible. I do know how helpless you feel. I hope she is OK until your regular vet returns and you can get some answers. Keep us posted. You know we all care.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I'm soooo sorry to hear this Jacqui, I hope she is feeling better soon [-o| Give Chyna a bug HUG from us [:D]

Thanks Sweetpea!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

a little update on Miss Chyna.
I remembered I had an emergency prescription for a new antibiotic because the old one wasn't working with her flare ups.so I had it filled.started her on it Wed.and by Thurs. night I could see she was feeling a little better.the vet isn't sure why antibiotics sometimes help her :?
Thursday night my brother from Florida came to visit and Chyna was practically doing cartwheels when she saw him :shock: and I don't even get a tail wag #-o
I get so upset when she has flare ups because we have not been able to pin point what she has.it is auto immune but no definate treatment.
when she really having a hard time I get scared that her days are numbered.
thank you for all the support .it really helps me cope with this :D
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Yay. I'm so glad the antibiotics are working and hope they continue to work until you see your regular vet. Maybe she had some doggy version of a bug that needed antibiotics to wipe it out and some "uncle" love to do the final job.
courtsey of Sweetpea
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

[:D] Sorry to hear she isn't feeling well again, It has to be very frustrating.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Jacqui...you amaze me with all your strength and courage. Glad to hear the antibiotics are working and hope they continue to work for Chyna. You are in my thoughts for good wishes and good health for all. Hang in there lady!
Sheena and Troy sends their hugs and purple kisses. [:D]
Jennifer & Sheena
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad Chyna is feeling better!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I'm glad she's at least feeling better. Auto-immune diseases are frustrating...especially when no one has been able to pin point the problem. Hope she continues to improve.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

jacqui wrote:a little update on Miss Chyna.
I remembered I had an emergency prescription for a new antibiotic because the old one wasn't working with her flare ups.so I had it filled.started her on it Wed.and by Thurs. night I could see she was feeling a little better.the vet isn't sure why antibiotics sometimes help her :?
I might be able to give you a little insight into autoimmune conditions from the standpoint of someone who lives with one everyday - and why the antibiotics may be helping her.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and it can be really severe, to the point of making it nearly impossible to walk, hold a pen, even sit and type. While it's considered an autoimmune disease, there are also those who believe that bacteria gets into the joints and creates some of the inflammation and pain. Because of that, I am on antibiotics all the time (nearly four years now). There's a specific category of antibiotics that target this bacteria and luckily it's a group of AB that don't tend to lose their efficacy with constant use.

Usually it takes awhile for the AB to work. It sounds like Chyna has a very quick response to AB so it may not be the same type of thing at all, but it's a possibility that may explain why you see an improvement.

Autoimmune diseases are very frustrating because they don't always respond predictably. A change in weather can cause a flare, as can a bit of sugar or over-exertion (when one area gets inflamed, others tend to follow suit). Since you can't really cure these diseases, it's more a matter of maintenance. You may want to keep a diary of how Chyna is from day to day, what the weather is like, what kind of exercise she got, what she ate (even a tiny treat or a bit of people food), what you gave her, etc. I started keeping a journal four years ago and it's been good to be able to go back and see certain trends.

Good luck to Chyna and I hope her improvement continues!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

off topic- melanie glad to hear from you. i was actually hoping that you or kiwani would give some words of wisdom soon.
hope you and the gang are well.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Melanie,thank you for your reply :D
that sounds just like Chynas condition :shock: the warm weather definitely affects her(for the worse).she does much better in the winter usually.
I have tried to keep a daily diary of Miss Chyna but sometimes I can't tell if shes being stubborn or shes not feeling well so I have let up on her as far as walking.
she lets me know where and how far she wants to go :roll: she has surley gotten more quirky with age even though shes only 6 1/2 years old.
I too know how she feels as I have auto immune issues myself.thats why I sympathize more with her.
also she is very flat emotinally.it takes alot for her to show shes happy and with Kai here that has also put a damper on her spirit as he is a wild indian.
I have to say she is very sweet all the time O:)
I do appreciate everyone input and replys.thank you :P